Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2002, 04:25 AM   #21
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I get it too, shared T-1 connection.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:53 AM   #22
andrewas
Harper

If its not connection what could it be? An actual Execution time on the CGI script? That makes even less sense given the recent server upgrade. Unless theres a glitch in the code, in which case why didnt it show up before? Still, they do seem to be happening less often now, so maybe itll go away.

Oh and lennnon, these pages are generated with files from multiple servers - sig pics and so on - so it could well take longer than 30 seconds if you dont have any of them cached.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:19 AM   #23
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ive been reading through these threads again, and I think ive finally figured out just whats causing it- traffic.

Even when there are sig pics loading from remote servers, the browsers should go through a process. They will load the HTML first, and only THEN will any browser load images. If they do this in the correct order, the loading of images should have little to no effect on the time taken to generate the HTML.
Therefore, when alot of people are all trying to view the same page at once, it will either a) Slow down the HTML generation through it being sent to numerous servers, or b) Cause the browsers to become very angry, and stop thinking straight- thus doing things in the wrong order, and taking too long to generate the HTML.

Whichever it may be, it will only happen when alot of people are trying to view the same page. Refreshing will help sometimes but not all the time, as the other people viewing the page may or may not have left.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:34 AM   #24
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Ive been reading through these threads again, and I think ive finally figured out just whats causing it- traffic.

Even when there are sig pics loading from remote servers, the browsers should go through a process. They will load the HTML first, and only THEN will any browser load images. If they do this in the correct order, the loading of images should have little to no effect on the time taken to generate the HTML.
Therefore, when alot of people are all trying to view the same page at once, it will either a) Slow down the HTML generation through it being sent to numerous servers, or b) Cause the browsers to become very angry, and stop thinking straight- thus doing things in the wrong order, and taking too long to generate the HTML.

Whichever it may be, it will only happen when alot of people are trying to view the same page. Refreshing will help sometimes but not all the time, as the other people viewing the page may or may not have left.
HMMMM... I am now using PHP to cache pages--this sounds like it may be what is causing it... I'll look into this error in the php site.

Old 04-19-2002, 06:39 AM   #25
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I think what Lennon said makes sense.
I'm on DSl and haven't had any problems at all.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:40 AM   #26
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

The only thing I've noticed is that when you view a page through the reply window, I see the users "user number" instead of their ranks..
Or was it like this before?

[ 04-19-2002, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Sir ReGiN ]
Old 04-19-2002, 06:55 AM   #27
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:
The only thing I've noticed is that when you view a page through the reply window, I see the users "user number" instead of their ranks..
Or was it like this before?
I think it was like that before, but ive never realy taken any notice of anything below the first Add Reply.. execpt in RP where I disable my sig...