Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2003, 08:58 AM   #21
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Is it just me, or is Chain Lightning one of the most diabolically dangerous incantations known to man?

The four times I've tried to use it, I've annhilated at least two party members.
Methinks timing this one is a very great challenge indeed - even if the mage is by himself, there's no guarantee it won't zing back and punish its creator.

I used to get upset when party memebers die like this, now I laugh like a maniac!

CerebroDragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #22
Zintha
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've soloed HoW through with fi/druid, and she was extremely powerfull. Lots of good attacking spells, escpecially for soloing. Normal game was easy but "Bosses" were hard. I vote for druid.
Zintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #23
Darkman

I'm replaying the game right now with a Druid in my party--my first party had 2 Clerics instead of any Druids--and I must say that I am more than impressed with my Druid's spell casting abilities so far. With the new spells from HoW this class really kicks some arse. I'm only at Dragon's Eye so I haven't had time to test out the higher level spells, but right now Sunscorch and Alicorn Lance are still dishing out pleanty of direct damage and I occaisionaly still use Beast Claw or Moonblade for melee bonuses, Moonblade in particular for all the undead in this game. Wall of Moonlight is also a great spell for dealing with mobs of undead who will take 5d10 dmg when they pass through the wall [img]smile.gif[/img] The real killer though is the Entangle/Spike Growth combo! This spell combo can single handily win fights. Entangle is awesome since it halts the advance of melee opponents and also disrupts spell casters in the area. Lay down a Spike Growth or two in the same area and the fight is over before it began. And then there is Insect Plague...

Anyways... Druids are great with the new HoW spells, but Mages are still good too. I'd say that the lack of spell scrolls in this game is a serious problem though and I wouldn't recommend having more than one or two arcane spell casters in your group.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #24
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
Is it just me, or is Chain Lightning one of the most diabolically dangerous incantations known to man?

The four times I've tried to use it, I've annhilated at least two party members.
Methinks timing this one is a very great challenge indeed - even if the mage is by himself, there's no guarantee it won't zing back and punish its creator.

I used to get upset when party memebers die like this, now I laugh like a maniac!

CerebroDragon
they just took the spell back to it's PnP roots, as opposed to the version in bg2 (ADHW is the same way) the spells carry a danger for casting for a reason, great for a group of enemies at range, but the bolt'll continue bouncing between valid targets as long it can still deliver damage. I was just happy they incorporated some of the things that made high level druids useful in bg2, even if they did have to look around for useful damaging spells (alot of the ones in the game aren't in the players handbook, but in various supplements).