Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 06:55 PM   #21
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Fljotsdale, just out of interest, could you tell me what Bonfire Night is all about, the history behind it, and what people do to celebrate it?

As for me, so far have had only a few trick-or-treaters, seems quiet for this neighborhood. I sure hope more show up soon, or I'm gonna be stuck with a mountain of candy!!

Well the history is that on Nov 5th (I forget the year, but waaaaaay back) a gentleman named Guido Faukes and some friends tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament - gunpowder barrels in the basement and such - but they were caught and the plot foiled. Guido was then hung, drawn and quartered for treason. I'm not sure but I think his remains were then burnt.

Bonfire night is a sort of commemoration of the event. A stuffed figure representing Guido (a Guy) is burned on the top of an outdoor fire (a bonfire), fireworks are let off (to represent the gunpowder barrels exploding [which they didn't!]), potatoes and chestnuts are baked in the embers of the fire and a good time is had by all.

Originally, I think Guido was generally condemned - but these days we tend to think it was a pity he failed....

------------------

Here be Dragons!
Proud to be Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 10-31-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 07:04 PM   #22
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Thank you Wah!!! I had heard about Bonfire Night before, but never any details, always wanted to know!

Thank you as well Fljotsdale! Wow those must be pretty big fires to bake a potato in the embers! Yee Haw! Now that's a fiah!!

Are these bonfires done in public places with an audience, or do individual people have their own in their back yards (like here in America with the 4th of July)?

------------------
Old 10-31-2001, 07:17 PM   #23
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Thank you Wah!!! I had heard about Bonfire Night before, but never any details, always wanted to know!

Thank you as well Fljotsdale! Wow those must be pretty big fires to bake a potato in the embers! Yee Haw! Now that's a fiah!!

Are these bonfires done in public places with an audience, or do individual people have their own in their back yards (like here in America with the 4th of July)?

Both, Ladyzekke. Garden bonfires are small, but public ones are BIG!! There is the sort-of in-between fire as well, when just one road/street gets together for a street bonfire in a field or on a bit of waste land - these are the ones with the baked potatoes and chestnuts - you can't really do that with little fires or 'official' public fires. Sadly, the 'street' bonfire has declined over the years and is generally only done in rural areas now.

------------------

Here be Dragons!

"If I say something to you and it can be taken two ways, and one of those ways upsets you...I meant the other one."
Old 10-31-2001, 07:20 PM   #24
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Haloween is weird times for me, its quiet now and weve had no little brats visiting, but Im not sure about that even actually because I was at a party earlier and am now home an expecting a phonecall around 1 am to go out again, as I said weird times, someone hand me the bannana.

------------------

jabidas = Sorcerer of clan Aerie thing

Also I will have nothing to do with sulpher powder and secret priesthoods so dont even try it.

And dont worry soon you shall all be part of my ever growing army of the undead.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:25 PM   #25
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Haloween is weird times for me, its quiet now and weve had no little brats visiting, but Im not sure about that even actually because I was at a party earlier and am now home an expecting a phonecall around 1 am to go out again, as I said weird times, someone hand me the bannana.

You OK Jabidas LOL? Here, take a bannana then, hope it helps!

Thanks again Fljotsdale, nice to have a mental picture of how things are over there with holidays and such

------------------
Old 10-31-2001, 07:25 PM   #26
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:

Looks like you are having a great evening, Jabidas! Enjoy the banana!

------------------

Here be Dragons!

Old 10-31-2001, 08:02 PM   #27
Moni

I've seen about two dozen kids in two groups with mom's tagging along and dad driving slow in the pick-up alongside but no one stops here...our porch light doesn't work and the yard is spooky and dark with big trees covered with vines everywhere. That's fine with me, I'd rather not contribute to tooth decay LOL.

Besides, we worked our butts off today putting up a fence close to the house to keep the dogs well away from the main fence since someone poisoned them all last week. Hercules almost died.

------------------

The best thing about karma is that you create your own.

Pets Need Love Too

Old 10-31-2001, 10:20 PM   #28
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I've seen about two dozen kids in two groups with mom's tagging along and dad driving slow in the pick-up alongside but no one stops here...our porch light doesn't work and the yard is spooky and dark with big trees covered with vines everywhere. That's fine with me, I'd rather not contribute to tooth decay LOL.

Besides, we worked our butts off today putting up a fence close to the house to keep the dogs well away from the main fence since someone poisoned them all last week. Hercules almost died.

Oh, Moni! No! That is dreadful!
We lost several cats to poison when I was a kid - a neighbour (policeman, forsooth!) had a wife and daughter who were terrified of cats so he put poison down. My two favourite cats died and one of my mom's, and it was touch and go with another one...
Really horrible, Moni. I hope Hercules is ok now?

------------------

Here be Dragons!

Old 10-31-2001, 11:18 PM   #29
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Oh, Moni! No! That is dreadful!
We lost several cats to poison when I was a kid - a neighbour (policeman, forsooth!) had a wife and daughter who were terrified of cats so he put poison down. My two favourite cats died and one of my mom's, and it was touch and go with another one...
Really horrible, Moni. I hope Hercules is ok now?

People are horrible aren't they?
Yes, thanks to Rex's parents, Hercules is almost fine now. He was near death, drowning in his own blood when we found him collapsed in the yard on Saturday evening. They took him to an animal emergency room where he underwent a blood transfusion and 24 hours of monitoring. He is still taking medications but is expected to be back to his old self by the end of the week. He wanted his squeaky toys tonight so I know he is going to be fine.
Thank you for your concern, Fljotsdale! Having gone through something like this, you know what heartache it is to see your pets tortured that way. I had neighbors in Tucson who tried numerous times to poison my cat but she wouldn't die so they choked her.
*sigh*

------------------

The best thing about karma is that you create your own.

Pets Need Love Too

Old 11-01-2001, 02:31 PM   #30
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
People are horrible aren't they?
Yes, thanks to Rex's parents, Hercules is almost fine now. He was near death, drowning in his own blood when we found him collapsed in the yard on Saturday evening. They took him to an animal emergency room where he underwent a blood transfusion and 24 hours of monitoring. He is still taking medications but is expected to be back to his old self by the end of the week. He wanted his squeaky toys tonight so I know he is going to be fine.
Thank you for your concern, Fljotsdale! Having gone through something like this, you know what heartache it is to see your pets tortured that way. I had neighbors in Tucson who tried numerous times to poison my cat but she wouldn't die so they choked her.
*sigh*

People are totally unbelievable sometimes. I can still see my poor old Mowgli and Shadow. Shadow died quickly, but Mow was a big strong cat - beautiful animal, totally black, sleek and glossy as an otter, huge orange eyes and the sweetest, soppiest animal ever born, never killed anything in his life, even spiders (he used to watch them and dab them gently with his paw to make them move) - and he lingered for several days... still brings tears to my eyes. I know exactly how you feel, Moni, and I am so pleased Hercules is recovering well. Lets hope the fences prevent any more such attacks. People like that make me feel savage.

------------------

Here be Dragons!