Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 06:57 PM   #21
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

If we sink them , then we dont have to send them back, Ronn!! We only have to send back the ones who slip through.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:04 PM   #22
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
If we sink them , then we dont have to send them back, Ronn!! We only have to send back the ones who slip through.
Sorry, but that's just too brutal. There is no possible justification to sinking a raft full of immigrants.

Does the immigration process in America need work? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:10 PM   #23
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

1. What are the US' obligations toward these people?
Give them a hot meal and a nice ride back to Haiti.

2. Does the US have the right to try and keep people out?
Of course. We don't have an open border; any embassy can assist someone in the process of immigrating legally.

3. Should the US send them back to where they came from?
Yes. Their entry was illegal.

4. Should the US grant them some unoccupied land here in the US and financial aid to start over in this country?
No.

5. What do some of the other countries represented on the board do in these situations?
That is a question that I cannot answer.

It is truly regrettable that they feel it is better to try and sneak into America this way than to stay in Haiti or try to immigrate legally. I would not think for a minute that life in Haiti is a walk in the park, mind you, but if they want the opportunities here they'll have to play by the rules as they currently exist, whether or not they agree with those rules.

Apparently a decade under Aristide has not undone the decades of control and corruption under the Duvaliers.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:15 PM   #24
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Sorry, but that's just too brutal. There is no possible justification to sinking a raft full of immigrants.

Does the immigration process in America need work? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!
You are correct, I cant justify sinking a raft ful of immigrants. Unfortunately these arent immigrants they are invaders. Immigrants go through the proper chanels and usualy intend to pull their own weigh at some poing in the future. A certain bard named Yorrick comes to mind. Invaders on the other hand sneak in, try to avoid detection and are just a blight on the landscape.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:24 AM   #25
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
(which is why all the Cubans I know will vote Republican until the day the earth stops spinning)
I'm sure the "Janet Reno and her Clintonian Gestapo vs. Ilian Gonzales" tactics didn't help much either.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 11-01-2002, 11:30 AM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
quote:
(which is why all the Cubans I know will vote Republican until the day the earth stops spinning)
I'm sure the "Janet Reno and her Clintonian Gestapo vs. Ilian Gonzales" tactics didn't help much either.

Don't hold it in Nacht. Let it out, tell us how you really feel

As for those of you who are actually putting answers to my original questions, thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]

Old 11-01-2002, 11:51 AM   #27
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
I'm sure the "Janet Reno and her Clintonian Gestapo vs. Ilian Gonzales" tactics didn't help much either.[/QUOTE]Ah, yes too true. But, had Reno and Clinton played it well, it should have been no fuss. Treaty says he was picked up in the water, he goes back. That's the end of it. Asking these "interests of the child" or any other legal questions can only be done after we have addressed the question of: "Which country does the kid belong to." In this case, the answer is Cuba, so American courts have NO BUSINESS regaring the child's interests.

The hullabaloo was created by doing certain wrong things:
1. Even discussing the issue with the population at large. Shoulda put the kid on the first available coast guard ship, "no comment" or "rules say he goes back" should have been the answer regarding any questions.
2. The court proceedings were illegal and silly considering the political situation. They placed the issue center-square.
3. The way he was taken from the home was absolutely farcical. Walk up in daylight, announce what you're doing, and have 100 officers surrounding the house to quell dissenters.

The Cuban population in Miami, of course, didn't give a damn what the treaty says, and thinks every single rafter should be allowed in no matter what. There is even a (translation) "Brothers to the Rescue" non-profit group that scours the gulf (via plane and boat) for rafters so it can help get them to land, and thus, to asylum, under the treaty. Actually, this created quite the funny ICJ case when Cuban boats shot down one of their planes. Castro hates 'em.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #28
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
quote:

Don't hold it in Nacht. Let it out, tell us how you really feel

As for those of you who are actually putting answers to my original questions, thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]Sorry Magik...I'll get back on topic after lunch. I think it's just low blood sugar destroying my internal censor.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 11-01-2002, 03:02 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Sorry Magik...I'll get back on topic after lunch. I think it's just low blood sugar destroying my internal censor.
Yeah I hear ya, I get cranky too when my Blood Sugar level (also known as my BS Level) gets low