Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2002, 09:44 PM   #211
Wolfmoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Damn those AVI files hehe, thanks it runs fine now, though I cant for the life of me figure out why it worked fine before but wanted to be a silly bugger now.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:54 PM   #212
Gormash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That VirtualDub thingy worked like a drem. Solved my problem right away.

Thanks heaps!! ^_^
Gormash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 02:31 AM   #213
Dragonrat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hope you can help!!

My system: Windows XP, Pentium III 450 Mhz, 60 GB HD, 320 MB RAM, Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT Kyro (62 MB), Direct X 8.1, Windows 98 compatibility selected, W&W patch installed.

First of all, couldn't even do a max install.. 90% of the way through I kept getting an error message saying something about a "wrong volume" for the drive.. (sorry, should have written it down!)

Got it to install with min install, but here are my problems:
In the towns, if I click on some areas, nothing happens.. in Ishad Na, can't click on one of the gates and a couple of the buildings.
Sound is often choppy.
Game just does not "feel" right! Seems to hang too long in certain areas, etc.

Now, here is the interesting thing... I just recently reinstalled this game since I got XP, and have only had these problems with this OS. I used to play it on Windows 98, and never ever had a single problem. I have tried setting the compatibility to Windows 98 and Windows 95, resetting res to 640x480, etc., but nothing helps.

Any ideas? Good to know Saz's help desk is still here!
Dragonrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 10:17 AM   #214
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonrat:
Hope you can help!!

My system: Windows XP, Pentium III 450 Mhz, 60 GB HD, 320 MB RAM, Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT Kyro (62 MB), Direct X 8.1, Windows 98 compatibility selected, W&W patch installed.

First of all, couldn't even do a max install.. 90% of the way through I kept getting an error message saying something about a "wrong volume" for the drive.. (sorry, should have written it down!)

Got it to install with min install, but here are my problems:
In the towns, if I click on some areas, nothing happens.. in Ishad Na, can't click on one of the gates and a couple of the buildings.
Sound is often choppy.
Game just does not "feel" right! Seems to hang too long in certain areas, etc.

Now, here is the interesting thing... I just recently reinstalled this game since I got XP, and have only had these problems with this OS. I used to play it on Windows 98, and never ever had a single problem. I have tried setting the compatibility to Windows 98 and Windows 95, resetting res to 640x480, etc., but nothing helps.

Any ideas? Good to know Saz's help desk is still here!
Okay - I'm not the techie here BUT I might be able to offer some help.

The town problem sounds like the old known problem of town files not opening correctly. Use the VIRTUALDUB solution listed on that last page of the BEST TIPS thread.

My husband beta-tests for MS and he says that there are known problems running a 98 emulation with XP. You are probably better off just running XP and working through the problems there. All XP problems are solved the same way that the Win2K problems are solved.

Your likely problem points can be the emulations in XP and your version of DirectX. Many folks have problems running DX8 but don't have the problem running DX7 (I know - we all hate to downgrade but if that helps...)

Are you running the game in software mode?

Hope some of that is helpful.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 02:19 PM   #215
Dragonrat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks a lot, Wyv! The virtualdub fix solved my town problem, which was the worst by far.. the other stuff I can live with. (I guess I should have read the previous posts first!)
By the way, do you know what the difference is between a min and max install? I'm thinking I'm not getting all of the monster sound and dialog effects as before, but that may be because of my Windows XP too.
And slightly off the topic.. I have been having an AWFUL time getting many of my old games to work on windows XP. Some I can get to work with some fiddling, others (like my Might and Magic Millennium Edition) refuse to work at all. :{ But yet my son's old Diablo game still works perfect! Is there such a thing as a forum devoted to general OS compatibility problems?

Dragonrat
Dragonrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #216
Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh great I just got my com back yesterday and while I was playing the game froze and kept makeing a funny noise! Now whene I turn my com back on and it says "Non-System disk or disk error Pleas replace and press any key when ready" And i dont know what the heck it means! Can eneyone help me???
Old 07-29-2002, 08:01 PM   #217
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Check to see if there is a cd in the player or a floppy in the drive. They might have forgot to change the boot order in your BIOS and it's trying to read them before your hard drive.

By the way... if your puters down...how did you post this????

[ 07-29-2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #218
Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

YES!!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

(Wyv removed graphic signature)

[ 07-30-2002, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Arsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:43 PM   #219
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

You really should change that, or.....forever remove the game disc when you shut down.
Have you ever done anything with your BIOS? If not one of us, could walk you through it.

[ 07-29-2002, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #220
Arsales
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry but im no com whizz. What is BIOS?