Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

Walcott selection for England is an insult to every other striker in England. Sven is aiming for the gunners job no doubt.
LOL!!!!! You ain't lost that sense of humour - have you seen him play then? What did you think?

D

[ 05-10-2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Nobody has seen him play, that's the problem.

You never know how things work out though, stars are born out of nothing every WC tournament, might just as well be this bloke.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I can't say I've seen him play. He may be good, brilliant even, but he is lacking experience. Even the coolest players could crack under pressure when playing for their country in front of, probably millions, of spectators, both at the stadium and watching on TV.

Can't really comment not being a footballer (or even that good, haha) but I know I'd feel the pressure.

Let's hope Sven's gamble pays off! COME ON ENGLAND.

...but first, let the Boro beat Seville
Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivelliis:

...but first, let the Boro beat Seville
Boro lose 0 - 4, what a bummer!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I'm a little worried for England. Rooney and Owen, the first choice strikers are both injured. Crouch sounds ok, but nothing special... Seems his main claim for fame is the fact that he is the tallest in the League.

And then there's Theo Walcott, who noone, not even Sven himself, has seen play. Gambles are fine, but when it looks like your gamble may have to play most games (because the midfielders that have been chosen don't normally play up front either), I'd say go for tried and trusted.

Then there's the captain, Beckham, who I'm really not sure should be the captain. He's an amazing player, but a leader? I'm not so sure about that. He doesn't exactly exude competence off the pitch does he?

Personally, I believe it would be best to make someone else captain, and use him as a sub... but one that plays every match. He's not all that fast, so it makes sense to use the young speedy players on the wing, like Cole, for example, for the first half, to wear down the opposition a bit. Then bring Beckham on in the second half for his fantastic crosses. But as long as he is captain, he will play in the centre, a position he is very good at, but a position we have replacements for (Gerrard, Lampard, both able to do a cracking job in the centre).

But to take away someone's captaincy? And then tell them they will only be a sub from now on? That's never going to happen... He'd probably leave.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #16
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

johnny dispite van nistelrooij being twatted over by fergie, he still managed to score 21 goals this season ending 2nd in the english premier league topscorer list. not to mention the fact he will be extra motivated for the WC since it will be his first world cup and he needs to find a team for next year (though i hope he will return to PSV). I think at the moment he is still the better choice for the striker position.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Perhaps they should consider switching Kuyt for Huntelaar then, but i can see that's also going to be a problem, since he played all games in the qualifyers. Looks like we have a serious luxury problem.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:12 AM   #18
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:

I have!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:28 AM   #19
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:

I have! [/QUOTE]Not in an official Premiershipmatch that is. Must have been on the training, or you also visit Arsenal's B squad.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #20
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Or perhaps a Southampton match? Not sure if he played first team or reserves but he did play. He IS very fast.

What do you think of George Boateng, johnny? He was pretty poor yesterday, but there wasn't many who weren't.