Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #11
MagiK

I pretty much agree with TL here...some Cities, such as San Diego actually work with some of the Graffiti artists to get some really lovely work up in some of the less...pretty neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:00 PM   #12
Djinn Raffo
Ra

It's in my profile and ouap's creative images board is right here. And Stealthy's board is a site you can get to from a sticky thread at the top of this page in General Discussions. It is a photo album for the IW members as well as having a sketchbook, an album for animals, an album for a group of IW'ers who all got together in France and had a party, two of those, an album of the travelling bards adventures and one for another group who party in London, an one for holidays and some others..
Old 05-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #13
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Http://www.banksy.co.uk

I think graffiti art is amazing. Graffiti, as in *I woz ere Y2k +3* is just terrible, but graffiti art, Stencil or otherwise is ace. My friend has done quite a bit and I've been his lookout a fair few times. But only tasteful stuff is done [img]tongue.gif[/img]

(By the way, when I refer to my friend, It's not Banksy... I wish...)
Old 05-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Grafiti is art, but it is also a crime, stick to playing Jet Set radio [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 03:21 PM   #15
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Grafiti is art, but it is also a crime, stick to playing Jet Set radio [img]tongue.gif[/img]
God that game sucks... I got it upstairs (Well, JSR Future)
Old 05-16-2003, 05:18 PM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

Graffiti by some artists is true art. On the right place the effect is astounding. However most of the graffiti I have seen is nothing more than vandalism. Spray painting a logo with ones initials isn't that pretty to look at. Especially not when it's done on private property.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:18 PM   #17
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I pretty much agree with TL here...some Cities, such as San Diego actually work with some of the Graffiti artists to get some really lovely work up in some of the less...pretty neighborhoods.
Yes they do similar here. Many of the electricity boxes, which used to be just a boring 1.5x1x1m square grey box, are now painted with all sorts of designs, very nice. It's a good initiative too, for young people that otherwise would be out tagging, to get involved in projects like this - most of them aren't just evil delinquents, but bored teens with nothing much better to do. Sure most people don't do it and do find other things to do, but if we can distract those who are getting into trouble then much better than just catching them tagging and locking them up. I do hate just mindless graffiti though, especially on people's houses and fences. I can understand warehouses or trains and so on, but just vandalising someone's fence because it's there? That is so horrible [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 05:54 PM   #18
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

It depends of the skills of the artist. Poorly drawn pics or nonsense pieces of text are annoying and look bad no matter where placed. I bet the owners of the buildings etc. won´t smile either.

But sometimes a really well done meaningful piece of art is a pleasure to eye.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #19
Animal
Gold Dragon

Unless you have specific permission from the property owner graffti = vandalism.

Like TImber pointed out, graffiti is often used by gangs to mark their territory (kinda like dogs do) and can end if violence.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:58 PM   #20
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Graffiti can be good or bad, depending on why the person put it there. A few months ago a girl from my town named Ashley Jordan died in a car wreck. About half a mile from town on the way to another town are two big old gas tanks, both usually covered in graffiti like "Soandso loves soandso". Well some people decided to get rid of it and decorate the front of it with "Ashley Jorden, In our hearts forever." in pink-red with a light blue background with flowers bordering it all. So I think it depends on the intentions of the graffiti.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi