Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2003, 02:29 AM   #11
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
Cloudbringer, if you think THAT was derogatory...

France Stinks
Wow, every single one of those jokes is the same but worded differently. That's AMAZING! The sheer brilliance of the wit! Blows me right away it does...

[ 02-23-2003, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 02-23-2003, 02:36 AM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Anyone bring the fire arrows or acid viles?

Anyway I heard about this movie. According to a source, Mr. Moore inspired Charleton Heston to abruptly walk out of an interview when asked why he led a pro-gun rally in the days after the Columbine gun massacre. That's what I call dodging the question and is priceless if it is true! Too bad he didn't get an answer! I plan on seeing this movie when it hits DVD.

[ 02-23-2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 02-23-2003, 02:37 AM   #13
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
Cloudbringer, if you think THAT was derogatory...

France Stinks
Think that was derogatory? Anyone happen to catch Saturday Night Lives opening sketch tonight?

I could post a transscrpit of it, but I might get in trouble

[ 02-23-2003, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 02-23-2003, 02:42 AM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
I never liked Michael Moore too much (surprising huh ). But I dont think its because of his political views. I think its just the way he acts in general. Given, I havent seen to much of him, but what I have seen of him, he seems to give very little respect to the oposing opinion. And,,well,, just seems like an all around jackass. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I haven't seen any of his other work, so I can't comment on his behaviour in that, but I can say in Bowling for Columbine he certainly does give the popular opinion on gun ownership and why America's gun-related crime is so much higher than other countries a lot of airtime, and considered opinion. In fact the whole film is pretty much saying - why do people think America's gun crime is so bad, and are those reasons compelling? And when he disproves them with logic and evidence, he finds other reasons that, using said logic and evidence, are.

For those who haven't seen it, I recommend it strongly. The conclusions he comes to are, without spoiling, extremely thought-provoking and rational, and surprising! Actually I find it hard to imagine anyone going to see it not finding them compelling, but I suppose some people would manage *sigh* . It's been mentioned previously on this board that one of the best scenes is his interview with Charlton Heston - a great moment. It's also humourous, although some of the humour is a kind of, you have to laugh or you'd cry.

It's also nominated for an American Academy award I noticed, in the best documentary category.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:45 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Holy Warrior, your link has been edited out because it is derrogatory and demeaning to a entire group of people based on their nationality.

Re-check the ToS before you think about posting this sort of thing again.

Quote:
Be Nice: No posting of material that antagonizes, harasses or creates hostility toward another user or group of. If you are angry with someone in the forum, take it up with him/her through private channels like e-mail or ICQ.
Are you having a problem with courtesy tonight? This is the third time I've had to warn you and I trust it's the last. Twice about rude posts referring to the French.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:03 AM   #16
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I saw the documentary last Saturday, and it's great. I laughed through most of it, even though it was really more sad than funny. I loved the bee part, hehe. I almost fell of the chair when they showed that part. Those who've seen it know what I'm talking about. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #17
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

I'm working class and this idiot Moore DOES NOT speak for me. He is an ultra left wing propagandist. This guy has nothing in common with your average American.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:41 AM   #18
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I won't say a bad word about the French. Any nation that makes wine and food that good must have many good points. But, I think Jonah Goldberg described Michael Moore best: noxious buffoon.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:01 PM   #19
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Stirred up a can of worms here!
Well, thanks Aelia, from what you say its the sort of film I like to watch. Take a step back from what is considered 'the norm', and if possible laugh about it... Perhaps its a bit different not being directly involved in either sides of the story, except from popular media (popular meaning biased).

I guess I just like to challenge the boundaries of life. Just because its what everyone does, doesn't make it any more or less acceptable IMO...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:30 AM   #20
Moiraine
Anubis

Awww I regret missing the Cesars ceremony - but I had just bought the DVD of the tremendous BBC documentaries "Walking with beasts" and I just couldn't wait to watch it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The end of the 'making of' of the episode about Australopithecus is a real blast - three Australopithecus walking away singing 'Always look at the bright side of life' ... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ 02-24-2003, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Moiraine ]