Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2002, 10:19 AM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I never said anyone was untruthful. I said that grandstanding at being offended is helpful to no one "if" it is not fully truthful. Never intimated that anyone here does that
Riiiight

EDIT FOR EXTRA SMILIE.

[ 12-16-2002, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:04 AM   #12
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I have to say that your observation is a correct one Mark and the rest of y'all(yes I said y'all) people nowadays seem to get offended at the most innocent of thing's. The other night at school for example, being surrounded by teenagers mind you, I was a bit tired after putting in 12 hours already and having another 4 to go before I got home, I was zoned out and staring in this one fellows direction when suddenly he got an attitude about me staring at his "space" I mean for crying out loud his space encompassed the back half of the classroom. He even got up and started to make threatening gestures. I was flabergasted by this it even took a me a moment to collect my thought's about what to say or do. This just an example of rudeness in some people, I will not get into the particulars of what happend after this but it was rather funny and I didnt even have to say a word other then listen to what your girlfriend has to say. It was rather nice.. He had no respect for anyone but his girlfriend which is silly if you think about it. hmm ah well I think I have shot off my original topic. heh
Old 12-16-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
Steve Fox
Banned Troll
Drow Warrior

I am as retarded as retarded is so nothing offends me apart from stupid head
Old 12-16-2002, 11:13 AM   #14
MagiK

I am offended at everyone being so offended, it is offensive to be offended by offenders being defensive while trying to be offensive when they are actually being silly!

Old 12-16-2002, 11:14 AM   #15
Jorath Calar
Harper

Might I suggest that if you can't bear other peoples opinions and beliefs that you try to saty out of such conversasions... I mean I stay out of them because they bore me, but if you go there just to get offended you reeeeally need a new hobby... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #16
MagiK

For the record, I think the only thing Lott is guilty of is being stupid, or at least not thinking about what he was saying. His voting record on equal rights issues is as good as or better than some democrats if you look at their whole carreers ***cough***Dixicrats***cough***

Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 PM   #17
skywalker
Banned User

There is a lot that can be said for "Lurking" on a forum!

Mark
Old 12-16-2002, 01:59 PM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
It seems that as time goes by people are saying or doing things that are offensive and more and more people are offended.

The most glaring example, of course, is the Trent Lott debacle.
Many people were offended, but one person interviewed on ABC said he didn't think "racism" was a bad word.

Being offended is a very personal thing, though when many feel the same way it can grow into a movement.

Many times things have been posted here that are considered offensive.

Posting perceived "crimes" of Ronald Reagan.

Saying all Arabs are evil.

Dissenting opinions on whether God exists.

Posting quotes by "Famous Atheists".

Posting a poll about political parties which are exclusively American.

Saying George W. Bush is an idiot.

ETC.

Most threads are started here in the hope of finding others that share your views and to a lesser extent to find varying counter viewpoints that will help balance a persons own views. I don't think many people here set out to post to offend others.

I have felt offended many times in the past and have not handled it well here at times. Sometimes being offended is helpful...it builds character, perhaps.

But grandstanding at being offended to shore up a person's side of an argument is helpful to no one, if it is not fully truthful.

Your thoughts?

Mark

[Caveat: This is not a thread that points fingers at anyone. If anyone feels I am flaming them, I will say again, I mention no one by name. This a discussion not an Inquisition.]
Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black Mark? hmmmm? Isn't this post exactly what you're criticising? The snake is biting it's own tail!!

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-16-2002, 02:12 PM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yorick, take that to pm, if you wish to discuss it. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2002, 02:13 PM   #20
skywalker
Banned User

Yes it is Yorick.

I've stated in this thread I am guilty of it. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I meant this to be about whether you (meaning anyone) thought that being offended has become more common lately. That we are all becoming too thin skinned.

I'm not bashing anyone. Is my "posting style" so poor that what I post is indecipherable.

I'm just trying to get some discussion going on a plausible subject. That's all.

Mark