Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2002, 11:07 AM   #11
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I just call it "That Time When It's Not as Hot as Every Other Time" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 04:54 PM   #12
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

::whispers:: I'm not alone...We're everywhere.....

(sorry, couldn't help it, RevRuby [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 AM   #13
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

tis okies, garnet. nice to not be alone
Old 12-04-2002, 05:00 PM   #14
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Almost forgot about Winter Soltice music! This Winter's Night by MotherTongue.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:52 PM   #15
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
traditionally it is the witch's holiday of rebirth (i say witch's because i am one, but i am, not wicca.) it is the celebration of the coming of lighter days. however i know agnostic's (scientific minded) who throw solstice parties. it is not an admission of what they believe, but it is a holiday that is easiest to remove the religious connotations from, as for christmas every year there is a true meaning of christmas movie on about every day or three times a weekend after thanksgiving, it's hard to forget the religious connotations with that. i do celebrate christmas for two reasons, most of my family is christian, and i love to give. i love buying presents, so for me it is simply a giving holiday, an excuse to spoil my loved ones, anywho...i'll not discuss my solstice plans here as they were not asked for...
Im asking... [img]graemlins/wink10.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2002, 07:10 AM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
quote:
Originally posted by RevRuby:
i'll not discuss my solstice plans here as they were not asked for...
Im asking... [img]graemlins/wink10.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I'd be quite interested too. My parents are non-wiccan witches too, and I wonder how celebrations differ between individuals.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but it seems to me they like to light a lot of candles, different colours for different sabbats, and I know they go to outdoor rituals (NO jokes about goat sacrifices from non-pagans please! That is such an overused stereotype it's just not funny) so I was wondering what you might get up to, just out of interest. I'm an atheist btw.

[ 12-05-2002, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 12-05-2002, 07:18 AM   #17
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Just wondering some opinions on Winter Soltice. My Freethought group (athiests)
are planning to celebrate it. I am new to the group, so did not know about this party untill yesterday. I asked why an athiest would have any interest in ritual like this, and they said it was just a calender event to celebrate the coming of the sun. I said I thought it was just a reason to celebrate x-mass without the christian traditions. They said I was wrong. I see it as either that or a wiccan ritual of sorts. I never celebrated it before and dont plan to now. It is harmless, but seems pretty hipacritical to me. I dont want this thread to turn into a religous debate. Most of you know my position on that, I just want some ideas or opinions about the soltice please. I know there is some members from other places than the US, so their opinions would be great to.
Actually, you have it backwards.

The romans celebrated winter solstice long before Jesus's birth. The accepted date of Jesus's birthday is in March, but early christians celebrated on winter solstice so it wouldn't look out of place with all the roman revelry going on.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:58 AM   #18
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

C'mon, RevRuby.....tell us all [img]smile.gif[/img] . I know my own sabbat and esbat celebrations are so low key as to be utterly boring even to the unintiated. Well, most of the time, anyways.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:14 PM   #19
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

well since i'm being begged....i'm a solitary witch,s o no coven stuff for me, and in pa it'll be too cold to do anything outside. i'll just do my usual with candles, salt, water, my ritual dagger and my runes. most of the time i just praise the gods tha thave helped me through what has come up recently. i do simple things, if i do them at all. solstice is just big for me because i went through so many dark years as a teenager and i feel connected with rebirth and more light coming into my world. so i guess that's that in a nutshell. not what silver ravenwolf would do (he/she, not sure which, write a bunch of witchcraft books and has specific rituals for stuff, but i feel as a solitary witch i can do what i want to celebrate the holidays.)
Old 12-05-2002, 12:21 PM   #20
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Heck! I thought it was an excuse to dance naked in the backyard... or at least in speedos five sizes too small!!! [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]