Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 09:49 PM   #11
SirTristram
Manshoon

gift certificate is cool. I'd go with that...
Old 11-21-2002, 09:55 PM   #12
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

[img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] strip-o-gram! a party!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:56 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
If you go to a mall or jewelry store you should be able to get engraving done very quickly. I was able to buy a pendant and get it engraved in an hour at a place in a local mall.
If this doesn't work; share with us the type of things she is interested in (if you know). Moosey's idea of buying a favorite book and then signing it sounds good.
Well thing is, I know a lot of things about her, but not really what she is interested in, she doesn't divulge LOL, even after so many years. I know she does read books, but what particular authors I have no clue. And again, jewelry is out cause I never see her wearing any. All I know is she lives alone, goes to church every Sunday, is a very quiet meek type of lady, and has three grown up children whom I'm sure knows what kind of dilemma I am dealing with right now, as I imagine it is the same thing they go through at Xmas, I'm pretty sure she must have tons of trinkets and fancy plates and bowls, etc. Ack. I have a sinking feeling if I can't think of anything unique, it's gonna be the gold watch, even though she doesn't wear watches... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 11-21-2002, 11:37 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Wendy, in my office for Christmas they do some nice things. Sometimes I get a small gift like a basket with gourmet stuff in it and a knick knack or two and a check (American Express Gift Checks). The gifts have been things like a mother of pearl photo frame, that gourmet basket, some tiles of cats from the Metropolitan or Smithsonian (can't recall) and sometimes just nice figurines. The cash is always a nice thing and I thought it was classy to give it as gift checks.

Other ideas like the gift certificates to a nice store or mall are also good. Get a really spiffy card and have everyone sign it and give her the gift certificates in it?

If you want to do the 'gold watch' thing, consider the really nice pendant or broach type watches. Call a jeweler or check one out, I'll bet they can help!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:50 PM   #15
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Get her an X-Box or Playstaion 2. Even if she never touches it her grand-kids will LOVE it.

Jokingly I would say, get her a Perry Como or Don Ho cd.

Folks her age tend to like Jim Reeves or Patsy Cline as far as music goes. Im trying to think of music my grandmother.

Picture Frames always come in handy.

Or you could always just get her the Strip-O-Gram [img]tongue.gif[/img]
If you're in her will
Old 11-21-2002, 11:57 PM   #16
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

If you know what church she belongs to; you might make a donation in her name for a favorite church project (ex. the Gladys Willbank memorial pew) or a donation to a favorite charity.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:57 AM   #17
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Wish you had given us more time to suggest.How about this, you need a camcorder
and a bunch of assorted flowers,and a vase.Everyone one by one gets to tape a special message of how this person was important to them,how this person helped them, or some special memory,with the empty vase in the frame.At the end of each message each person says something like ...and that is why you are so special to me.That person shows the flower they have chosen to represent that memory and puts it into the vase.Then give her the tape and vase of flowers, that will give the flowers much more meaning and a bunch of special memories of what she meant to everyone.Also since she will be seeing the tape later at home she won't be embaressed if she tears up instead of infront of everyone.It would also be nice if she got a list of peoples email addys (if she has a comp)mailing addresses, and work and or home phone numbers (whatever people are comfortable with).Having it all in one place so she can keep in touch if she wants would be nice.
If you do something like this please do check the tape before giving it just incase, it would be hurtfull if someone said something unkind.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 11-22-2002, 06:21 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

I bought my Mum a DVD player for her Birthday last year, and several DVDs - the first being "Gone with the wind", her favourite movie when she was 20. Oh, and she is 72. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2002, 06:34 AM   #19
WillowIX
Apophis

How about some nice furniture? Not a diner table or the like . But a candlestick or a vase? A nice set of silver ware? A broach perhaps? A computer and a modem so she can come here and join us at IW?
Old 11-22-2002, 07:35 AM   #20
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

An engraved plaque, maybe a framed picture of everybody, signed. (so what if it's only three people)

A really nice wall clock works, too. My dad got one when he retired.