Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2002, 11:43 PM   #11
The Trickster
Manshoon

Thanks everyone for your concern. It's been quite a morning not knowing what was going on. It seems the explosion has killed more than 100 "westerners" and is more than likely linked to the al-Qaeda!

What's going on. On one side of the world we've got a sniper going around blowing people's head off whenever he feels like it, and over this side, we've got people blowing up a night club that's filled with people.

Man, this world is getting weirder by the day!
<br /><br />Movie Reviewer for Ironworks Gaming<br />Hero of Icewind Dale and alias to The Nameless One, Gordon Freeman, Garrett, Elayna Sedai, Cate Archer, Child of Bhaal, J.C Denton and Patrick Galloway.<br />Leader in the war against commercial music.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:45 AM   #12
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Looks like the sniper has struck again. Here's hoping someone will recognise the white van they're flashing over the news and catch the bastard.

As for the bombs in Bali, Quantas are laying on extra flights so they can handle the people wanting to get out of there. 150 dead was the last count I heard with the majority of them being Australian. The suspects have already been traced to radical Muslim fundamentalists that have links to Al Queda.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:48 AM   #13
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by The Trickster:
OK, I just heard from them! They are OK.

I am very relieved!
OMG that is great news Ben!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 02:56 AM   #14
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

News Story
Old 10-13-2002, 04:54 AM   #15
meladril
Banned Troll

its always the same... 'the bomb blast killed 40 or so australians' . so its good to see that australian casualties are more important than others .... also i watched the news this morning... the death toll is now 180
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 AM   #16
whacky
Emerald Dragon

We're all glad that your parents are ok [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and meladril welcome to escape forums [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 05:12 AM   #17
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by meladril:
its always the same... 'the bomb blast killed 40 or so australians' . so its good to see that australian casualties are more important than others .... also i watched the news this morning... the death toll is now 180
I don't know the exact quote of which news source you are so upset about, but havng checked all posts and links in this topic, the only one that seems to fit our outburst of angst is where Downer was aked how many Australian casualties there were. Do you have a problem in that instance with an answer that quotes Australian statistics??? You will of course point us all to the news item or post that incensed you so - won't you - otherwise I won't know if I have misjudged you or not.

In fact the OZ government has been at pains to ensure it is not painted locally as an attack on Australia, but rather as an attack on Western civilisation and ideals. There are people that see the Kuta attack as an indication of punishment for OZ supporting Bush, and those same people are issuing calls for Australia to back away from supporting the American stance on Saddam et al. Johnny and the boys are still 100% behind the war on terrorism though, and so they should be.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:22 AM   #18
Grojlach
Zartan

Death toll soars in Bali blast

A devastating car bomb blast at a crowded nightclub on the Indonesian holiday island of Bali has killed at least 182 people. Hospital officials estimate that 75% of the dead were foreigners, among them Australians, Britons and Germans, with another 210 people reported injured.
A doctor said many of the bodies brought into hospitals around the island's capital Denpasar were too charred to be identified.
"This is the worst act of terror in Indonesia's history," said the country's police chief General Da'i Bachtiar, although he did not speculate about who might be responsible.
The Australian Prime Minister, John Howard, said he feared many Australians were among those killed in what he described as a "huge national tragedy". He condemned the attack as "barbaric, wicked and cowardly".
The Australian air force is flying an emergency medical team to help local hospitals and bring back some of the injured to Australia, Mr Howard said.

Other blasts
The Sari Club in the resort of Kuta was reduced to a heap of smouldering ruins by the blast, which also wrecked nearby discos, restaurants and a hotel.
Cars and motorbikes parked outside the club became a wall of flame, blocking people's escape.
At about the same time another bomb exploded near the American honorary consul in Denpasar, although no-one was injured.
The blasts in Bali came just hours after a small hand-made bomb went off near the Philippine Consulate in the port city of Manado on the central island of Sulawesi, about 2,160km (1,350 miles) north-east of Jakarta.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but officials have now said that it was a terrorist attack.
Australia's Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said he was "almost certain" that it was terrorist attack.
And Prime Minister Howard said "the war against terrorism must go on with unrelenting vigour and with an unconditional commitment".

Building ablaze
The explosion reportedly occurred at 2330 (1530GMT) on Saturday outside the Sari Club, a nightspot popular with Western tourists in Kuta.
The area was crowded with people out on a Saturday evening.
The blast set the thatched roof and wooden walls of the nightclub on fire. The blaze spread to a second bar opposite and flames raged for several hours.
General Bachtiar said the explosion had left a deep crater in the ground.
Bali is a popular holiday resort with western tourists.
British tourist Matt Noyce, from London, was in the bar of the Sari Club when the blast occurred.
"There was just complete panic in the bar with lots of people diving to the door trying to scramble over each other," he told the BBC.
"Outside it was awful, it was like a scene you'd see from Vietnam. There were bodies everywhere."
Mr Noyce, who helped move the severely injured away from the fires which started after the explosion, said the street had been busy with tourists and locals.
Another eyewitness, French photographer Cyril Terrien, said he had "never seen such an appalling thing".
"There are charred and mangled bodies everywhere, it is unbelievable," he added.
Some tourists fled their hotels and camped out on local beaches.
Many are now starting to leave the resort.
"I am going to the airport, I want to take the first flight out," said Karim Ansel, a Parisian tourist.

Embassy worries
The US embassy in Jakarta has issued a series of warnings in recent weeks that its nationals could be targeted by Islamic militants linked to the al-Qaeda terror group.
The embassy itself closed for several days last month after intelligence reports indicated militant groups were planning car bomb attacks.
Indonesian officials have in the past denied that militants linked to al-Qaeda are active in the country.
However, authorities in Malaysia and Singapore have claimed that members of a group known as Jemaah Islamiyah - said to be seeking to set up an Islamic state in South East Asia - are based in Indonesia.

Source: BBC
Old 10-13-2002, 05:22 AM   #19
meladril
Banned Troll

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Originally posted by meladril:
I don't know the exact quote of which news source you are so upset about, but havng checked all posts and links in this topic, the only one that seems to fit our outburst of angst is where Downer was aked how many Australian casualties there were. Do you have a problem in that instance with an answer that quotes Australian statistics??? You will of course point us all to the news item or post that incensed you so - won't you - otherwise I won't know if I have misjudged you or not.

In fact the OZ government has been at pains to ensure it is not painted locally as an attack on Australia, but rather as an attack on Western civilisation and ideals. There are people that see the Kuta attack as an indication of punishment for OZ supporting Bush, and those same people are issuing calls for Australia to back away from supporting the American stance on Saddam et al. Johnny and the boys are still 100% behind the war on terrorism though, and so they should be.
[/QUOTE]the news this morning is where i saw this- thatis the bbc news. and for the record i am [i] not [\i] supporting the 'war' on terrorism. the point i am trying to make is that when a country reports on a thing like this, the first thing they say is (in the case of the bbc news) 'a bomb blast in bali killed has killed one english person' then they go on to say that 180 people have been killed. furthermore i can hardly quote a telivision article can i?
Old 10-13-2002, 05:27 AM   #20
meladril
Banned Troll

Quote:
Originally posted by whacky:
We're all glad that your parents are ok [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh and meladril welcome to escape forums [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
cheers!