Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2002, 05:22 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

Best way to keep dust out of the PC is rig your case fans to blow air in through filtered vents rather than out. That way you keep the case at a positive pressure and air will flow out of the drive bays etc. The normal way it flows in all sorts of gaps and carries dust in with it.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:48 PM   #12
DraconisRex

Filters on in fans. Clear on out fans. Do NOT put a computer in a room with a hardwood floor as all cat fur will blow directly to your computer, like tumbleweeds in a Wyoming winter.

You can go one step further and build or purchase a case that can pump filtered air into your computer. One of my clients had to do that as he works owns a woodshop (custom furniture) and the sawdust problem killed his first computer in just 3 months.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Old 09-29-2002, 01:05 PM   #13
MagiK

Hmmm ya know..positive pressure..now why didn't the computer case makers think of that....sheesh they have designed their cooling systems all wrong....of course they were probably just trying to cut costs. Got to look at my cases and see what I can do about redoing air flow.

Old 09-29-2002, 05:13 PM   #14
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Hmmm ya know..positive pressure..now why didn't the computer case makers think of that....sheesh they have designed their cooling systems all wrong....of course they were probably just trying to cut costs. Got to look at my cases and see what I can do about redoing air flow.
Because positive pressure creates a turbulence localized near the fan, not a steady airflow covering all the inside of the case evenly. You also loose a bit of airflow, these types of fan don't put a lot of pressure and are most effective blowing the air out (where the resistance, the pressure of the room, is less).

So don't blow in if you don't have a fan blowing out too.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:00 PM   #15
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yeah, I had to clean a lot of dust and dog hair out of mine in June when I installed my new video card to run NWN. I thought it quaint that the new card had its own exhaust fan, but not now! Sorry it happened, Z.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:44 PM   #16
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Best way to keep dust out of the PC is rig your case fans to blow air in through filtered vents rather than out. That way you keep the case at a positive pressure and air will flow out of the drive bays etc. The normal way it flows in all sorts of gaps and carries dust in with it.
I do that with a special screen, but it was clogged up ON it, in front of the fan. Still, some light powerfine particles get through, but don't really affect the fans..

7 Fans in my Rig [img]smile.gif[/img] I am starting to think the card just died of other causes. I keep my PC on 24/7 (just used to it from my BBS hosting days) and now my NWN server [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, gonna call and get this RMA'ed Monday morning.

Old 09-30-2002, 12:56 PM   #17
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I keep mine on all day when I'm home, but it's off at night and while I'm working. I'll certainly make sure I keep the fans on my new ti4200 clear

Those babies are warm to start with and can really heat up with clogged fans.

Now my concern is the warmth the card-fans are putting into the case. The output from the CPU fan is noticibly warmer now
Old 09-30-2002, 02:14 PM   #18
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

do it every few months. Clean as a whistle