Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2002, 10:22 AM   #11
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Your computer has achieved self awareness! Do nothing, submit, and all will be ok. You have been warned, this is just the begining...
Old 07-30-2002, 10:28 AM   #12
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Wow! As soon as I made my last post my computer tried to print the page! I had not hit anything and I know I ahve no Virus/Trojans etc... I'm not joking, it happened...(cue Twilight Zone theme, followed by X Files for the young 'uns)
Old 07-30-2002, 01:36 PM   #13
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
This does NOT sound like a DNS problem... it is a failure to execute the URL command. This is proven by the fact that links work- they all call on the full URL, not the IP.
I just love being proven right. (check larrys next post). Besides a failure to execute the URL search would knock out every server your PC didnt explicitly know about. (IE all of them).

OK, Ill try and keep this simple. You could phone your ISP up to ask about it, but last time an IWer did that (it was an aussie IIRC) it took weeks. Plus the tech guy will assume that its your fault.

A simpler way to get it working is to (Im assuming win98 here, ME or NT or whatever will require some thinking)

Right click on "network neighborhood"
Double click on the TCP/IP -> entry.
Go to the DNS tab.
Enter DNS servers manualy.

This last part is tricky. I recommend two sets - your own ISPs and anothers after that. You can usualy find the settings on the help pages, but since windows normaly handles this automaticaly youll need to go into a section for macs or linux to find them.

Try and find an ISP close to you for the second set. You can use any, but the closer the faster. You can skip you own ISP set if you want, as long as you have one complete DNS in there itll work.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:58 PM   #14
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Are you sure that by entering in those blanks under the DNS setting, (Host and Domain, etc.), that this would work? I am still confused as to what should go in the spaces.. Also, another tab in that configuation has options that reflect one another...so by changing the info in the first tab would require working in all applicable tabs and coordinating them to work together.

Listen at me...I sound like I actually know something about this! This past three days has been a flood of information, and I am slowly tryng to understand one principle at a time. I have three people with three different solutions that disagree with one another "Outside" of IW...and at least two inside!

I cannot wait to see who wins! Whoever it is, I will probably owe something to!
FYI...OS= 98SE
ISP = They will not accept responsibility for it nor help me anymore.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:27 PM   #15
andrewas
Harper

Lennon is wrong, he was working from a false premise (that you had full IW access without a URL lookup), and therefore is heading in the wrong direction.

Host and Domain you shoudnt need to worry about. It might insist on having some value or other, but anything should work. The DNS address list you do have to worry about, as I said youll have to find some addresses on help pages. Youll know what ISPs there are in america, hit their sites, go into help and look for them. The settings are not usualy given unless you go into a Linux or Mac section, since those OSes do *not* have auto-configuration like windows does.

As a last resort I do have some settings you can use (or had, somebodys been at my desk again), but they are based in the UK so you dont really want to use them.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:45 PM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am beginning to see what you mean for me to do, and I see how it could work. One question...what happens to me if my ISP decides to change something from what it is now? How would that affect me as to receiving any updated configurations that my ISP wants to set up, thinking that I have my PC configured the way they propose?

Is that a good question, or am I grasing at something that is of no concern?
Old 07-30-2002, 03:34 PM   #17
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Is that a good question, or am I grasing at something that is of no concern?
Even if your ISP changes things around, you will still be able to access the other ISPs servers. What you may have to worry about is the other ISP going down or changing server IPs. A stable ISP wont do this though.

Also at some point your local DNS will recover IW and start working properly. (Traditionaly, about 5 minutes after you bypass it). Just make the switch, cross your fingers, *reset your computer* and go to IW.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:11 PM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I will try to do as you suggest tonight. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #19
lroyo

Larry, sorry if I misunderstand something here, as I have only very briefly gone through all the replies. You mention that you have a few different solutions from a few different people. I was wondering if one of these solutions involved editing the HOSTS file that is under the Windows directory.

If you add an IP address listing under the HOSTS file, you can still access a website without the functionality of DNS. Anyway, I'm sure you've got a hundred different solutions already. If nothing else is working, I'm sure this solution would aloow you to get to IW without typing in IP addresses, but it is not actually fixing the problem.

Avi.

Old 07-30-2002, 04:40 PM   #20
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
Larry, sorry if I misunderstand something here, as I have only very briefly gone through all the replies. You mention that you have a few different solutions from a few different people. I was wondering if one of these solutions involved editing the HOSTS file that is under the Windows directory.

If you add an IP address listing under the HOSTS file, you can still access a website without the functionality of DNS. Anyway, I'm sure you've got a hundred different solutions already. If nothing else is working, I'm sure this solution would aloow you to get to IW without typing in IP addresses, but it is not actually fixing the problem.

Avi.
I just showed your suggestion to the help desk here at work, and he said that he liked your idea as a first try...and if that did not work to try what was previously mentioned above. I do not know where to find that HOSTS thing you mentioned though...I have Windows 98SE, so maybe I will just play around until I stumble across it?