Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2002, 07:22 AM   #11
uss
20th Level Warrior

Grand-Ranger, i don`t consider "hell" as a cursing word. well, maybe a little [img]smile.gif[/img] .
anyway, the game lasted ALOT less than i expected. we played from 19 p.m. to 00.00. a.m. the game was interesting sometimes but we didnt find out how to get out of a maze created by the DM for about 2 hours! later, when we got out, the DM showed us the map. it was ALOT smaller than we thought! we kept going to the same place for about 9 times !!
atleast we didnt finish the campaign which means that some time later we are going to continue it [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] .
Old 06-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #12
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Good for you, uss! Computer RPGs are a whole lot of fun and certainly give us visibly what we only can imagine in our minds, BUT the old P&P version can provide things that a CRPG cannot come close to. First, if you got an excellent DM the adventures will be long or short, involved, intruguing, and fresh. Two, playing with other people is a major plus IF they are good players and IF they can tell reality from fantasy. I kid you not. The very first time I played AD&D one of the players stripped another player of his Gauntletts of Ogre Power and gold. Everything was according to alignment and role play. In other words, the one who took played according to the parameters of the game. Well afterwards the one who lost these items LITERALLY threatened to punch his lights out! I remember saying, "Hey, look its ONLY a game. The guantletts really don't exist, the gold doesn't really exist." It took us 30 minutes to calm this guy down. I say all this, uss, to make sure you stay in reality. RPGs can be very mind addictive.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:50 PM   #13
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Good for you, uss! Computer RPGs are a whole lot of fun and certainly give us visibly what we only can imagine in our minds, BUT the old P&P version can provide things that a CRPG cannot come close to. First, if you got an excellent DM the adventures will be long or short, involved, intruguing, and fresh. Two, playing with other people is a major plus IF they are good players and IF they can tell reality from fantasy. I kid you not. The very first time I played AD&D one of the players stripped another player of his Gauntletts of Ogre Power and gold. Everything was according to alignment and role play. In other words, the one who took played according to the parameters of the game. Well afterwards the one who lost these items LITERALLY threatened to punch his lights out! I remember saying, "Hey, look its ONLY a game. The guantletts really don't exist, the gold doesn't really exist." It took us 30 minutes to calm this guy down. I say all this, uss, to make sure you stay in reality. RPGs can be very mind addictive.
yeah. ill keep that in mind [img]smile.gif[/img] .
btw, my group is even more inexperienced than i am because im the only one who has played atleast CRPGs
Old 06-14-2002, 03:06 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
Grand-Ranger, i don`t consider "hell" as a cursing word. well, maybe a little [img]smile.gif[/img] .
anyway, the game lasted ALOT less than i expected. we played from 19 p.m. to 00.00. a.m. the game was interesting sometimes but we didnt find out how to get out of a maze created by the DM for about 2 hours! later, when we got out, the DM showed us the map. it was ALOT smaller than we thought! we kept going to the same place for about 9 times !!
atleast we didnt finish the campaign which means that some time later we are going to continue it [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] .
Sounds like you had fun, uss! [img]smile.gif[/img]

A word of advice: someone who is good at drawing and at directions: have them map for you. It will save you much time and effort, especially with some wicked dungeon designs. I used to make some narsty ones myself!

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-14-2002, 03:10 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

One last thing, Grand-Ranger: in the context that uss used it, "hell" is ok. "Hell yeah" is more of a interjection of elation, albeit crude.

What would be an unacceptable use of the word is if you told another member to "Go to Hell, __________" (especially in a topic title. The context in which a term is used makes all the difference.

Certain words and phrases are completely unacceptable, of course, like the f-word, or blatant blasphemy.

Thanks,
-Saz

[ 06-14-2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-14-2002, 03:49 PM   #16
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
quote:
Originally posted by uss:
Sounds like you had fun, uss! [img]smile.gif[/img]

A word of advice: someone who is good at drawing and at directions: have them map for you. It will save you much time and effort, especially with some wicked dungeon designs. I used to make some narsty ones myself!

Cheers,
-Sazerac
[/QUOTE]yeah, the DM took drawings from the internet, i think, and showed em to the party to let us see what the characters look like [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #17
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

I have had AD&D for about half a year. The problem is... no-one else wants to play it. My friend and I are about it. My mom is the DM, but she isn't too good, so I'm taking it over. I try to get more people, but the way other people my age act I'd be lucky if they UNDERSTOOD what a RPG even is. Much less have any interest. My cousin always plays it with my uncle and my cousin's friends. He is the DM and is VERY nasty to them! It gets real funny.

Oh! BTW uss:

Congrats on your first time playing! Its fun when you get enough people and a good DM!!
Old 06-14-2002, 10:17 PM   #18
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ive neva played it before but it sounds like great fun [img]smile.gif[/img] hope you enjoyed yourself uss [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2002, 12:34 AM   #19
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Well i'm glad to hear you're having fun, but don't you think a pre-designed campaghn is a little boring? I prefer making the story up as I go along it makes it quite interesting and it is a story that cannot be told anywhere else... + it lets you be a real storyteller and have some severe ammounts of fun being chalanged as a DM
Old 06-15-2002, 12:42 AM   #20
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I'm really surprised your DM will let you play a Drow. What's your party's alignment?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition