Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Promise to Ironworks
I'm with ya, Timber, good idea. I accept the charge. 8 24.24%
I disagree Timber, more Bush is good bush I say! 6 18.18%
Timber, you sir are a kook! I mean it. Certifiable. Straight Jacket Style. 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2004, 01:02 AM   #11
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Maybe I need to revisit 8th Grade Civics class, but I thought the electoral college had to vote the way the state goes.
As I remember that varies from state to state.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:10 AM   #12
Skunk
Banned User

Well.... we live in a newspaper age where headlines are often short to the point that it has become a style. I have never seen a headline like:

"Prime Minister Blair announces resignation"
rather, it would always be given in the format of:
"Blair announces resignation"

There are also cultural issues to take into account. Most of us Brits FROWN when people use titles (even if they have a right to use them), considering it to be pretentious to use both title and name.

Thus you will often hear us refer to the:
The Queen, The Prime Minister, The Defence Minister, Lizzie, (Tony) Blair, (Geoff/rey) Hoon
but almost never:
Queen Elizabeth, Prime Minister (Tony) Blair, Defence Minister (Geoff/rey) Hoon

It is NOT a sign of disprect to the office that they hold, rather a distaste in the usage of titles as if the title-holder is somehow 'better' than the rest of us.

The only exception are the princes (Prince Charles, Andrew, Edward, Philip) whose names are curiously linked to their titles. Perhaps it is because we never refer to their surname?

[ 02-04-2004, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Skunk ]
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 03:26 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Zartan

Well I have no problem refering to President Bush as simply Bush. Perhaps to keep somewhat in line with the appearance of repesctful ettiquite, it would be appropriate to come up with more specifically topical titles, like instead of "Bush's Budget" it could be "The new Budget". Instead of "Bush and the enviroment" it could be "Enviroment policy news concerning the executive branch"(bad example) In other words, leave Bush out of title.

When crafting titles, I usually favor either catchy titles that have impact (like 'Give me your poor...and I'll lock em up') or ones that imply going straight to the topic (like 'Powell and Kay on WMDs').

*shrugs* Whatever works I guess.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:59 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Why don't you blokes just call him Geedubya?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:00 AM   #15
WillowIX
Apophis

Timber, there's only one reasonable answer in that poll of yours and you know it Sir kook! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Call me rebellious but I'll never type anything but Bush, Chretien, Thomas whatever the last name may be. Were I addressing him I'd probably call him Mr Bush. He's not my president you know. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #16
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Maybe I need to revisit 8th Grade Civics class, but I thought the electoral college had to vote the way the state goes.
(The following is from November 2000) This is true in 25 states. The other 24 states still do not require their members of the Electoral College to vote for their party's designated candidate. Some states have pretty weak penalties for faithless electors, things like $1000 fines.

The Virginia (13 votes) statute may be advisory - "Shall be expected" to vote for nominees.

The 24 states that do not require pledges add up to 257 votes.
Add Virginia and you get 270 votes.

[ 02-04-2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Seraph, thanks for the info.

Well, the results are in, and it looks like only one things for certain: my sanity is questioned.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:08 AM   #18
Stratos
Vampire

Then why, O why, did you put that as an option?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #19
Skunk
Banned User

I'll give you one extra thing to mull over Timber.

I for one have absolutely no problem in insulting and attacking Bush, Clinton, Reagan or Carter etc.

I have every problem conceivable with the notion of attacking the office of President of the United States.

Consequently, I much prefer the man and the office to be separated on those grounds alone...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Fair enough, Skunk. But, I think the respect for the Office, not the man, is exactly what's behind the US Code's statutes on addressing the president ("Mr. President," etc.).

Anyway, this was intended to be more about the prevalence of the word "Bush" more than whether or not he should be called "President Bush." Somehow the tail began wagging the dog. No matter, though, this "dog" of a thread was just for fun anyways.

But, why should I bother anymore, you all think I'm fruity as a nutcake.... erm, that didn't come out right.