Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2003, 04:14 PM   #11
Too Hot
Dungeon Master

hey noble nick sorry to displease u but i have been through IWD,HOW &SOA,TOB and i have never used a bard i have thought of them as being useless

sorry this has nuthing to do with this topic
Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 AM   #12
NobleNick
Quintesson

Too Hot,

No problem. Lots of other folks agree with you; though I (obviously) am not one of them.

Since IWD/HoW is the only D&D RPG I have played in about the last decade, my opinion of Bards has not been tainted by experiences (good or bad) in any other games recently released. In IWD/HoW the Bard is truly a powerhouse of support: Her "War Chant of the Sith" is worth a ticket into a warrior-heavy party, even if that were the ONLY thing she could do! But it is not. In addition, she has four(?) other songs, one of which I have found exceptionally useful in the late game and in HoW/TotLM (resistance to fear); and, because she levels so quickly, she is almost as powerful a Mage as my multi-classed Mage/Thief. Armed with the Bardic Horn of Vahalla, she can summon a Berserker party 1/day; which in the early thru mid game is far deadlier than any other summons available (and has saved my party's bacon more times than I want to think about). As a bonus: Want something identified? Just hand it to her and you immediately know what it is: saves lots of spell slots and rest-identify-repeat cycles on your Mage.

My Bard is currently armed with some bashing weapon with a THAC0 +5 or whatever; but she never uses it. I say, again, she never fights unless all 4 of my warriors (Fighter/Druid, Fighter/Thief, Cleric/Fighter, and Ranger/Cleric) are down. Her ammunition slots are filled with spare arrows for other party members. Not because I'm averse to letting her smack or shoot someone (I am not); but because she is always too busy singing or doing something else the party needs MORE than the extra firepower of a +5 THAC0 weapon! Her support skills are that valuable. With her singing and a buff spell or two, my four warriors saw through trolls, ettins, mummies, skeletons, wights, wyrms, or whatever, like a chainsaw goes through a sack of tomatoes. That's why I say:

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 PM   #13
Lymond
Manshoon

I couldn't agree more, NobleNick. I'm using a bard for the first time and play her the same way. I almost never cast healing spells or use healing potions. So you get that AND +2 a/c from one song. Then, for those rare times when the party needs a hand in a tough fight, she's strong enough to jump in and help. She also carries most of the group enhancement spells to prep the party for a tough fight.

Aside from soloing, I wouldn't play without one.

Lymond
Old 10-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #14
NobleNick
Quintesson

Lymond,

Oh, yes! Thank you! How did I forget to mention THAT aspect of "War Chant?" Now my priests stock up on Prayer and Recitation spells instead of using the slots for more curative spells. It also eliminates the, "You slept for 96 hours," messages.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 10-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #15
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IWD is now running slow as mollases...since i installed HOW..shesh
Twid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #16
NobleNick
Quintesson

Twid,

Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

I remember some online review that compared IWD to Diablo II. It noted that IWD was really CPU hungry, and that combat scenes with lots of opponents could run dreadfully slow. I haven't personally seen that on my machine (HP 1.8GHz P3 with 128MB RAM and, IIRC, a 32MB 3D video card); nor did I see a difference in video speed between IWD and IWD/HoW. Nor do I remember having the "unused space" problem that Lymond mentioned in an earlier post. I also downloaded and installed a "no-CD fix" to be able to play without loading my CD, and have had no problems.

I find it odd that HoW, which (among other things) is a patch for IWD, should result in deteriorated performance. Have you installed TotLM (the patch to IWD/HoW)?

Is your slow performance only during combat or all the time? IF it is all the time, and installing TotLM does not correct it, I would next try a complete reinstall. (Back up your game files, first.)

If it is only during combat, maybe your video card and/or CPU is barely up to handling the original resolution and frame rate of IWD, and chokes when you take advantage of the increased resolution available in HoW. Maybe you don't have enough RAM. What are the specs on your machine?

The only other things I can think of off-hand is that there are lots and LOTS of viruses out that make your machine appear sluggish; and making your machine multi-task or having a patchwork quilt of driver upgrades can also dramatically affect performance. What operating system are you using, and do you have other programs running in the background or on other accounts (like Windows XP allows)? Do you surf the web a lot, download games, video clips (and their associated players), or chat online? Is your hard drive getting accessed a lot when the game slows down?

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #17
Lymond
Manshoon

Arrow

Twid,

I had a major slowdown on the Burial Isle. I have a post recently about it, but the best answer I got is that it's my computer. My theory is that it's a very calculation intensive area and brings my computer close to the brink. Some helpful suggestions were to look at the options and turn off some of the unnecessary effects or change the resolution as NobleNick mentions.

Lymond

NobleNick- I hate Spectral Guards. One or two by themselves aren't bad, but when you get a group of them together, they turn into jerks. They're killing me (three times).
Old 10-10-2003, 09:46 AM   #18
NobleNick
Quintesson

Lymond,

Are you in the castle proper? I haven't gotten there yet: I think I am near my last battle in the crypt; but took a two day hiatus to play Star Craft BW.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:51 AM   #19
Twid
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i think im just running out of ram...i had to delete some of my games before i can install HoW...

i need a new pc [img]tongue.gif[/img]

p2....windows xp..and im using it to be server for my 2 other pc's donw in my basement and in my den [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Twid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
Lymond
Manshoon

NobleNick,

Yes, I have just entered the castle proper and have had my butt handed to me two more times since yesterday's post. Part of the problem was my overconfidence. I increased the difficulty button a while back and have been doing fine. Then I went storming into the castle without a rest and you know the rest. Last night, I rested up and still got killed twice in a row, and both times the same way- my party was pretty much intact, but I cut it too close with my cleric (the one person who can resurrect) and she got killed at the tail end of the fight. It was really stupid on my part. I was down to the last couple of guards and let her lend a hand thinking she wouldn't take any damage. I was wrong.

I eventually made it, but still a tough fight for me.

Do you like Starcraft? I've seen the big set in the stores for $20 and have been tempted. I just don't think I'd like those games where you have to worry about supplies and food, etc.

Lymond