Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 09:16 PM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I doubt that's true, but you never know. I DO know that you don't have to bother going to the police, to report it stolen, cause they won't do anything about it. There's hundreds, if not thousands of em stolen every day here, it's almost like everyone is "borrowing" someone elses bike for a little while. Most people i know don't bother buying a new one, they simply steal one themselves, and that completes the circle i guess.

[ 02-17-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 02-17-2003, 09:55 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know the actual reason, but having seen a small bit of the country, I'd say it's because they have such beautiful places to ride the bikes in and it's worth the effort to see the scenery! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:14 AM   #13
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I don't know the actual reason, but having seen a small bit of the country, I'd say it's because they have such beautiful places to ride the bikes in and it's worth the effort to see the scenery! [img]smile.gif[/img]
See Cloudy, you've only seen a small piece. They only show you the beautifull places and conviently forget the other [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Mine got stolen, my normal bike as well. I guess it's a tradition here, cycling i mean. It's healthy, and prevents you from becoming a fatass.
I thought that was a national pasttime, stealing bikes i mean . Isn't it so that if everybody steals them, that everybody ends up with a bike again ?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:48 AM   #15
Irongrinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
And Irongrinder, really, if I can pass that test over there with a half hour of sleep and nothing but black coffee in my system, any old schmuck can.
yes, but the problem is, they now have points drivers license (which makes you lose your license really quick in the first few years, which is actually not a bad idea for our safety. But they also want to have 4 exams instead of one, the way of answering questions has been made more difficult (not a simple yes or no anymore). But my biggest gripe about it is the price of it all, the lessons start to be more expensive, the exams also and soon perhaps more often so even more expensive. So I'll probably try to convince my mom to teach me in secrecy a little bit, so I have a good start and have to take les lessons
Old 02-18-2003, 04:54 AM   #16
Irongrinder

Quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
I thought that was a national pasttime, stealing bikes i mean . Isn't it so that if everybody steals them, that everybody ends up with a bike again ?
Heh, all my last bikes have been solen except for the mountainbike as I didn't maintenance it well enough to be interesting

A lot of those stolen bikes end up in the water, somewhere smashed into a wall and otherweise being used for parts. Heh, I sometimes even think organised crime steels our bikes now and then as sometimes really good secured mountainbikes are being stolen by people in vans. They drive by and take the secured bike with them to open its locks in peace somewhere else
Old 02-18-2003, 04:58 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

I had a mountain bike when I was little, but now I own a crappy bike which is literally falling apart. [img]smile.gif[/img] Do you live in Holland now Wellard?

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-18-2003, 05:32 AM   #18
Legolas
Jack Burton

I know I shouldn't be saying this, but so far my bike's never been stolen (it's a regular one, and quite shiny). Despite having lived in the Netherlands my entire life.
I'd almost say the national bikeswapping contests were a myth, if I hadn't lived in the Netherlands my entire life...
Old 02-18-2003, 05:37 AM   #19
Link
Jack Burton

Maybe you're bike has never been stolen because you live in Urk, Legolas [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 02-18-2003, 05:40 AM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Mine got stolen, my normal bike as well. I guess it's a tradition here, cycling i mean. It's healthy, and prevents you from becoming a fatass.
I thought that was a national pasttime, stealing bikes i mean . Isn't it so that if everybody steals them, that everybody ends up with a bike again ?[/QUOTE]True, but after a night of heavy drinking on the town, and they ran out of cash for a cab, they always wind up looking for bikes,and when they are home, they just leave the bike outside, waiting for the next thief to come along.