Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2002, 10:36 AM   #11
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

A good bit of it depends on what the MHZ level of the CPU is. Faster CPUs tend to run at higher temperatures. Ive got an AMD 1600xp. Normally it runs about 40 celsius.

Most modern CPUs are designed to run at a max of 80c. That doesnt mean its good for them.

As far as brands go I would recommend buying a monster fan made by COOLER MASTER. Ive recently been reading benchmarks on what fans to the best job, make the least noise ect. Cooler Master fans tend to be about the best on the market. They are a little noisier than the other brands but they are more effective. I have a Cooler Master on my CPU. It makes fair amount of noise but Im happy knowing my CPU wont fry. Its a trade off Im more than happy to make.

As mentioned in the other posts, add some case fans as well.

I am trying to remember how but I know theres a way to check the CPU temp from inside windows. Ill get back to you as soon as I can recall it.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I recomend doing what I did with my iMac... taking out the coolant fans and putting large fans around the back infront of large trays of ice. all you need is an industrial fan and an ice maker and you're set!
Old 07-04-2002, 04:09 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

55C is pretty hot. If your pc is that hot period it means you've got to have an AMD. Intel doesn't get that hot usually. AMD's will usually function up to about 65-70C. It is really bad to run them anywhere near that temperature though. I have 3 AMD systems right now and the one with stock cooling runs about 45C at idle and about 55C under load (when there is intensive CPU activity the cpu gets much hotter). On my main system that is running a Thermaltake HSF I'm running @ 39C idle and 46C under load.

I recommend getting a better HSF (check out Alpha, Thermaltake, or Coolermaster) and throwing a couple of case fans in there to lower your case temp a bit.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 07-04-2002, 09:11 PM   #14
Animal
Gold Dragon

Milamber's right, AMD will run at that, but it's not recommended. Grab yourself a Volcano 7+ CPU fan from Thermaltake. It's an adjustable speed fan, with a switch. When your not using it put it on it's lowest setting; you'll barely hear it. When your gaming, crank that bad boy up to full power and listen to it roar! Just make sure you've got a set of Klipsh Promedia's or Logitech Z560's to drown out the whine from the fan!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:59 PM   #15
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

hmmmm I think your CPU is a little too hot, you should try some things to cool it off. Afterall, all computers run better at colder temperatures.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 07-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #16
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Something I failed to mention is make SURE your CPU is clean and dust free. Dust on the fan and/or heatsink seriously impairs the heatsinks ability to do its job. Clean your fan and heatsink at least once per month. Preferably every fortnight or even more frequently. That could help a hell of a lot. If you cant add a case fan just yet, leave the covers off for now. That will allow more air to flow across the mainboard, ect.

Also look in your BIOS to make sure that your multipiers are set properly. Someone could have rippied you off when you bought the machine, teling you that its a 500 mhz but in reality its a 233 mhz thats been overclocked. This may not be the case but I just wanted to include it as a possibility.

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 11:51 AM   #17
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Also look in your BIOS to make sure that your multipiers are set properly. Someone could have rippied you off when you bought the machine, teling you that its a 500 mhz but in reality its a 233 mhz thats been overclocked. This may not be the case but I just wanted to include it as a possibility.
Dont make the girl afraid Earthdog THAT is not an option if you buy an computer in an well knovn store and i think she have done that, but the cleaning is right i do it every 2 months and all the cards and fans is full of dust so do this and your computer would have a long life!
Old 07-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #18
Epona
Zartan

Earthdog, Megabot - No, I didn't BUY the machine at all, I built it myself, so I know exactly what is in the case since it was me who put it in there. I've not been ripped off at all, would not be that easy let me assure you. Multipliers in BIOS fine. And it ran without crashing once for 6 months, so I didn't do a botch job on it either. Haven't bought a PC for 4 or 5 years, I am perfectly capable of putting it together myself.

I will open the case and have a gander next time I have an hour or two to spare, will swap RAM to see if that is the problem, check fans working OK and install new HDD.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:22 AM   #19
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Ahhh good. You might want to look into a fan with a higher RPM rate.
Ive got a Cooler Master on my CPU and it runs about 41c. To me its worth the extra money to have a really good fan---peace of mind

Adding a case fan will also alleviate some of the heat. Your temps arent dangerous or anything but they could stand to be lower. More heat equals a shorter CPU lifespan. Thats why CPU makers void the warrantee if someone overclocks.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:50 AM   #20
LennonCook
Jack Burton

As has been said, yes that`s hot. VERY hot.
If you overclock, that could be the problem. It overworks the fans, and so you end up with a hotter CPU, the more overclocking you do; the hotter it will get; and if you keep it up, it can blow your computer up. Not only would the shrapnel hurt, you would not have a computer until you can fix it...