Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2001, 07:44 AM   #11
Lord Shield

Exactly. The game is doable without cheat codes, no matter what class you play. Some areas you can come back to finish off the beasties you escaped last time

Old 04-05-2001, 10:50 AM   #12
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Hey, don't throw in the towel so quickly. This games too good to give up on. I had to leave areas and come back to them on my first game because they were too hard. Try different strategies. Have you got six party members? I don't think the magic items are excessive either. They're appropriate for the level of characters you have. You'll appreciate that cloak of mirrors everyone bitches about in Throne of Bhaal I bet.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:57 AM   #13
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't deny that it's a great game. It's one of the very best I have ever played. But it would have been substantially better if they had set it to levels 3-15 instead of 7-20. I don't think it's fun to have routine monsters casting disintegrate on me.

And Cayle hit it bang on when he described the "monty haul" nature of the game. I think a lot of you are swayed by the ridiculous amount of magical items and don't want to admit that it's overboard. You're having too much fun blasting monsters with artifacts to realize it's spoiling the game. When +2 swords are falling from the trees, there's a problem. I'm only on Chapter 2 and my party has accumulated over 20 unique magic items. That's not fun...I think it was also a poor choice to have shops selling magic items, but that complaint belongs in another post.

It's just about the best game I have ever played. It would have been THE best if they just toned it down a bit and kept things in check. They just got carried away. Even the most generous DM would have to admit that this game is over the top.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:28 PM   #14
Bleys
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioClash:
I don't deny that it's a great game. It's one of the very best I have ever played. But it would have been substantially better if they had set it to levels 3-15 instead of 7-20. I don't think it's fun to have routine monsters casting disintegrate on me.

And Cayle hit it bang on when he described the "monty haul" nature of the game. I think a lot of you are swayed by the ridiculous amount of magical items and don't want to admit that it's overboard. You're having too much fun blasting monsters with artifacts to realize it's spoiling the game. When +2 swords are falling from the trees, there's a problem. I'm only on Chapter 2 and my party has accumulated over 20 unique magic items. That's not fun...I think it was also a poor choice to have shops selling magic items, but that complaint belongs in another post.

It's just about the best game I have ever played. It would have been THE best if they just toned it down a bit and kept things in check. They just got carried away. Even the most generous DM would have to admit that this game is over the top.
I agree with you a bit, but what I really don't like is that I have a random encounter and I leave 3 or 4 Magic +1 weapons/spell scrolls on the floor as if they are just junk. Or go to the local street vender and pick up a couple off +1 swords. Personly I think all magic items should be unique.

The one that has got me is the L40 in Throne of Baal, that is beyond all the main Forgotten realm heroes, villains and avatars. Even considering what you are in the game that is way to powerful.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:57 PM   #15
RadioClash
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Exactly. With the exception of spellcasters, it's not much fun to progress past level 15. The game gets out of control. Most reasonable DMs would recommend retiring a character around that point. And Throne of Bhaal is going up to level 40? That's just stupid. I won't be buying that. I guess Neverwinter Nights will allow me to play adventures in the old-school D&D way. Can't wait till that hits.