Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 10:56 AM   #11
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I havent tried it myself but i think you can (cheese?) it by casting outilukes resilient sphere on the guy standing in very front and while they attack him have the rest take them down with enchanted ranged weapons and spells.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #12
kroma
Dungeon Master

NobleNick,

I totally missed your post, sorry about that... I was only expecting one new reply to this thread so I scrolled down to the very bottom and read Lymond's.

I saw that thread ages ago - but didnt want to open it then (for obvious reasons). I would like to think that I dont need tactics help to defeat him, but I think in reality I will need all the help I can get! Ill check the thread after Ive tried to win the battle myself a few times...

ZFR,

That sounds like a good plan. I use that spell all the time anyway, doubtless it will have some part to play in the final battle.

Cheers guys!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #13
Yanez
Manshoon

Watch out, spoilers for anyone who haven't engaged IWD boss ahead:
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
I don't think that Otiluke's resilient sphere would be the answer here. Iron golems always (at least to my experience) seem to attack spellcasters, and not the party leader. Besides, reslient sphere has two major drawbacks, first is the saving throw, second is a bunch of dispel magic traps, which even a thief with 140% in detect/disarm traps couldn't disarm. So, if i'm thinking right, I would have to cast ORS on my spellcaster/s (not good idea whatsoever ) and micromanage the rest of party, so they wouldn't step on those traps.

EDIT: typos

[ 11-10-2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Yanez ]
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
NobleNick
Quintesson

kroma,

You have more do-it-yourself resolve than I do!
~
(slight spoiler tactics coming)
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

The fact that the IGs like to chase your spell caster can be put to your advantage: Give her the boots of speed and let the IGs chase (just not catch)her! Then pick ONE of the IGs, and hopefully you have about 4 buffed melee guys with +4 weapons to NAIL that sucker as he rumbles by in chase of your wizard. Repeat on second IG after the first goes down. Of course you've got to get Big B's spell timing down, and sychronize your bashing ballet so that he doesn't fry your little congregation.

Study Big B's actions: He's fairly predictable in his timing and his reaction to presence or absence of direct offensive action against his person. If he is the only threat to a given character, there is a window to get a spell off uninterrupted (or close in for a physical assault) if you start as soon as he initiates an Infernal Conveyance (IC) (a Dimension Door-like spell)

Yanez's advice, about micromanaging your player's so that they don't pop the dispell traps, is right on. This fight will take all the tricks you've got, and this is an important one.

Here is another one: Stacking the benefits of (in roughly increasing order of importance) Curse, Bless, Prayer, fire and blunt weapon resistance potions/spells, regenerative/healing potions and spells, Recitation, Improved Invisibility, Haste, and War Chant (as many of these as you've got). Stock up on defensive/buff stuff, because offensive spells are totally worthless on these guys. I saved my Haste until the IGs were both down, since I didn't want it to run out in the middle of meleeing Big B. Remember, the fight starts with a universal dispell, so you can't pre-buff; and you will have to know the exact location of the traps and avoid them to keep any buffs you lay on after the start.

Finally, don't forget the value of summons. No, these guys will not deal out any damage, but they make for excellent speed bumps and traffic detours for the juggernauts that will be chasing your carcass around the floor.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bard's ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #15
kroma
Dungeon Master

Sorry to bring this one up again guys, I STILL havent taken the big bad guy on, and I do have one more question before doing so...

If I *DO* manage to defeat him, does that mean I wont be able to go back to the chap in the Severed Hand and give him whatever it was he was after? (I cant even remember! Was it the water? Or the bird? Or both? Actually, dont answer that one!).

P.S - I havent read your suggestions yet, NobleNick - but I will do either if I cant get my own tactics to work, or once I have finished the job off on my own!
Old 11-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #16
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Am afraid yes, you can no longer go back to the Severed Hand, and though it wont make you feel any better, I'll mention that those items give really lots of XP.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:45 PM   #17
kroma
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
Am afraid yes, you can no longer go back to the Severed Hand, and though it wont make you feel any better, I'll mention that those items give really lots of XP.
I cant go back to the Severed Hand, even though I havent yet taken on Big B?

Hmm... In that case then I might have to look for a earlier save game. Unfortunately I am a bit of a completist, and I cant stand leaving parts of the game undone - hence me starting this thread in the first place!

Cheers all... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #18
NobleNick
Quintesson

kroma,

That is correct. Once you encounter RBP and get transported, there is no going back. In addition to not revisiting Severed Hand, you lose the ability to enter HoW with all your goodies saved up in containers (scroll cases, etc.).

Hopefully you have a save from just before you tried to take him on.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote