Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 10:29 AM   #11
MagiK

I think we need more irradiated foods, and properly labeld too TL [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2003, 12:10 PM   #12
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

my personal opinion...our lifespan is long enough. ok i don't smoke, but that to me is more quality of life, not length. what can trans fat do? no one wants to tell me, and i don;t really want to expend my energy to find out. i have been eating oreos as long as i can remember, i like them! if i get cancer or something awful they are nto likely to be the only thing to blame. i was once told that i may have hpv (it's an std) and the kind i may have had could cause cancer, if i had the other factors, like smoking! so what can i get from trans fat and what else do i need to do to get it?
Old 05-13-2003, 01:45 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I hope one of our kind medical folks will answer better, but saturated fats are very difficult to digest and make you, well, fat. Trans fats are even worse. Unsaturated fats, like olive oil and nuts, are actually good for you up to a point, and even past that point they do not translate directly to fat on your body like Saturated and Transsaturated fats. It's the HDL LDL distinction.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:58 PM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Well, I hope one of our kind medical folks will answer better, but saturated fats are very difficult to digest and make you, well, fat. Trans fats are even worse. Unsaturated fats, like olive oil and nuts, are actually good for you up to a point, and even past that point they do not translate directly to fat on your body like Saturated and Transsaturated fats. It's the HDL LDL distinction.
Uhhh if they are dificult to digest..they would cause your body to burn more calories to process them and thus would be less likely to get....fat....It seems to me that things that are easily digested are those things that are likely to produce excess energy which will be stored as fat....but...Im not a medical type..just trying to apply some basic physics...which may or may not apply.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #15
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Erm I really don't know what the fuss is, you can't ban food, you can't ban smoking, I mean if I come into your house or town, ban something you like doing(like smoking, eating oreo's or walking around your house naked) then you are being stopped from doign something you love(forgot the word I wanted to use ).
Grr all this stuff about bullying and banning things is putting me in a bad mood...well a worse mood...stupid threads making me think about stuff...
Old 05-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #16
Arvon
Unicorn

The real problem is the number of lawyers. Each year the schools graduate thousand of them. They all have $1000's to pay off for student loans. The law firms only hire the top of the class and only a few at that. There is only so much family business and small business to do. So the budding lawyer's got to make it somewhere. Solution: cut down on the numbers graduated each year.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Ehh well nice try Timber. To destroy a myth:

Eating fat will not make you fat

. What makes a person fat is if he/she eats more than he/she spends (energy wise that is). Every scrap of excess energy in the body will be converted to fat for storage. If you eat more fat than necessary, ALL fat is bad! About 20 % of your diet should consist of fat, and 15 % of this fat should for men be saturated fatty acids. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Saturated fatty acids are actually easier for the body to break down for metabolic use.

At the end you are correct. Saturated fats increase the LDL blood level which leads to increased chances of heart disease. Unsaturated fatty acids lower the LDL levels and increase the HDL levels, to a certain point. It's the cholesterol levels one should track and try to keep in check. High lipid levels in the blood are generally only found in diabetics.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:47 PM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
The real problem is the number of lawyers. Each year the schools graduate thousand of them. They all have $1000's to pay off for student loans. The law firms only hire the top of the class and only a few at that. There is only so much family business and small business to do. So the budding lawyer's got to make it somewhere. Solution: cut down on the numbers graduated each year.
Or do what NY State does and have a consistent 48% pass rate on the bar exam.

Willow, sorry about that -- I knew eating fat don't make you fat. But, that's about all I knew. I just try to keep the bad/good columns straight when buying food.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:06 PM   #19
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
[QBOr do what NY State does and have a consistent 48% pass rate on the bar exam.
[/QB]
Lawyers have it so easy. [img]tongue.gif[/img] The pass rate for the first several actuarial exams is around 32%. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.