Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #11
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
That was a strange animal how can that bee tru? i thot it was inpossible to cross a Tiger and a Lion ... maby they have done some genetic thingy with those animals. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]
Tigers and Lions are both Big Cats so there not that far apart. horses and DOnkeys can do it (Mules), cats and rabbits can do it (Dunno what you call it but they dont live all that long), so i dont see any reason for it to be impossible[/QUOTE]I wonder how a cat and a rabbits would look like someone that have a pic of that?
Old 08-29-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Such crosses have been known to occur before. Ligers are extremely rare, but possible. I'm not sure what the potential health problems of such a hybrid are, but I'm almost certain that they are sterile (cannot reproduce), like mules.

Interesting post! Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Saz

P.S. Just read the article, LOL...it validated my claim about the "sterility" issue.

[ 08-29-2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Sazerac ]

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 08-29-2002, 05:15 PM   #13
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

I found a page about 'cabbits' (cat + rabbit; the myth, hehe). I didn't read the whole page, but just enough to see it's not possible. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.messybeast.com/cabbit.htm
Old 08-29-2002, 10:29 PM   #14
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Ligers do indeed exsist as well as Tigons (it depends on the matriarchy for which breed it is considered, we had a circus come to town a few weeks back that had some Ligers, it was entertaining for Justi (my 3 1/2 y/o stepdaughter)
Old 08-29-2002, 10:42 PM   #15
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

I want one, I WANT ONE!!! *runs to parents demanding they get him a Liger for his birthday* And tht Liger/Tigon hybreed must have been one hell of a cat!
Old 08-29-2002, 10:50 PM   #16
The Ornery One
Drow Warrior

Don't remember exactly, but Jack Hanna had a liger brought out on the Tonight Show (one with Jay Leno?). If the father is a lion, the result is a giant of the species with tiger-like appearance. Slightly larger than normal sized if tiger fathered. Absolutly beautiful creature!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:35 AM   #17
Epona
Zartan

I thought Liger/Tigon hybrids were a fairly well known phenomenon, not as common as mules.

Similar species within a genus can hybridise but the offspring are usually sterile, it occurs in the wild sometimes but more often in captivity or where numbers in the wild are low due to lack of choice. It's quite common amongst birds (ruddy ducks are causing a problem in one part of the UK because they are hybridising with a similar species, there is a danger the other species could die out as a result), especially parrots because most of them form life-long monogamous bonds with one partner - so sometimes they'll pair up with a mate from a different species, they seem quite irrational when picking mates - it's either hate or love at first sight. My parrot thinks I am his bonded mate and I'm not even a bird (at least not of the feathered variety!), so there you go.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:37 AM   #18
edin gal
Dungeon Master

Hope the baby liger is ok, let me know if you hear anything please
Old 08-30-2002, 11:34 AM   #19
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Holy mother... that cat according to the site is at least 600pounds heavy.. now that is one HELL of a cat and probably one HELL of a hunter. Thats ridiculously huge!
But with this interbreeding of species you'd wonder if such animals were actually meant to exist from the very beginning anyway, thus explaining the surprising lack of genetic defects. Probably not, since they're inherently sterile but still.. that cat is a monster. Now THAT is what I call a king of the jungle. Bigger and stronger than a Siberian Tiger, bout 4 times the weight of a man and scary enough to be a statue. Damn..
Old 08-30-2002, 12:15 PM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Holy mother... that cat according to the site is at least 600pounds heavy.. now that is one HELL of a cat and probably one HELL of a hunter. Thats ridiculously huge!
But with this interbreeding of species you'd wonder if such animals were actually meant to exist from the very beginning anyway, thus explaining the surprising lack of genetic defects. Probably not, since they're inherently sterile but still.. that cat is a monster. Now THAT is what I call a king of the jungle. Bigger and stronger than a Siberian Tiger, bout 4 times the weight of a man and scary enough to be a statue. Damn..
I think it's like that phrase they used in Jurassic Park: Nature will find a way.