Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2003, 09:48 AM   #11
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Very touching story. I've heard it before, but it's still just as moving. Sadly, the stomach ache reminds me of how things started with my young cousin. She just went through another round of surgery last week. She's out of ICU but still has a long road to recovery. Right now, on top of everything else, she's having to work on breathing because of a collapsed lung. It's nice to know there are those out there like Ms. Rowling who care enough about these children to do such a wonderful act of kindness.
I'm an athiest, but God bless her just the same.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I listen to a Christian radio station at work (104.7 the Fish out of Atlanta, GA). Today, a familiar song came on - one that I've heard before, but never really listened to. For some reason, my attention was captured by the lyrics this morning and I actually listened to the song instead of just "hearing" it. It absolutely broke my heart and I still have tears in my eyes just thinking about the words.

It is sung by an artist named Mark Schultz and goes hand-in-hand with the theme of this thread - so I've listed the lyrics below. As powerful as they are by themselves, Mark's soulful vocals give them a haunting quality that will tear your heart out.

So I offer these lyrics as a memorial to Catie Hoch and as an ongoing prayer to all the children and their loved ones who are facing the unimaginable tragedy of a terminal illness. May God hold each of them near His heart.

He's My Son
from "Mark Schultz"
by Mark Schultz

I'm down on my knees again tonight
I'm hoping this prayer will turnout right
See there is a boy that needs your help
I've done all that I can do myself
His mother is tired
I'm sure you can understand
Each night as he sleeps
She goes in to hold his hand
And she tries not to cry
As the tears fill her eyes

Can you hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can you see him?
Can you make him feel all right?
If you can hear me
Let me take his place somehow
See, he's not just anyone
He's my son

Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep
I dream of the boy he'd like to be
I try to be strong and see him through
But God who he needs right now is You
Let him grow old
Live life without fear
What would I be
Living without him here
He's so tired and he's scared
Let him know that You're there

{repeat chorus}

Can you hear me?
Can you see him?
Please don't leave him
He's my son.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #13
Chewbacca
Zartan

That's a real touching song Cerek. Thanks for adding to the theme.

The full Time article had a little piece about a church who actually used HP as part of Sunday School. I found that facinating and heart-warming. As you may know from other discussions on the the topic of religion/spirituality that I am pretty much a Witch, although I have no gripes with the honest and personal practice of Christianity. For a large Christian church to turn away from, IMHO, incorrectly and innaccurately calling HP a book full of Witchcraft and instead looking for and promoting the good values in the books really makes me happy.

Here is the exerpt:

Quote:
Perhaps the most surprising appropriation of Rowling's world took place at the conservative Vanguard Church in suburban Colorado Springs, Colo. Housed in an old movie theater, the six-year-old church has 1,100 members, including lots of young families. Using Harry Potter to teach Sunday school was the brainchild of Tosha Williams, the petite young wife of senior pastor Kelly Williams. "That's one thing about Southern Baptists—we're very pragmatic," she notes, "and our goal is to reach people with the Gospel." So the teachers dressed as wizards, and the church was entirely decorated, with darkened rooms and glow-in-the-dark props and hot dogs renamed goblin fingers. When the kids put on the Sorting Hat that determines the fate of young wizards in the book, they were all put in Slytherin, the home of the evil Voldemort; the way out, they were taught, could only come from following what God teaches. "I have never seen children so excited about a church event, just absolutely mesmerized," Williams says. And what did they learn from it all? "No one can do miracles but God," says Abigail Haggerty, 5. "It showed how Harry Potter's mom sacrificed her life for Harry, as God sacrificed his life for us," says America Copeland, 9.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
Very touching story. I've heard it before, but it's still just as moving. Sadly, the stomach ache reminds me of how things started with my young cousin. She just went through another round of surgery last week. She's out of ICU but still has a long road to recovery. Right now, on top of everything else, she's having to work on breathing because of a collapsed lung. It's nice to know there are those out there like Ms. Rowling who care enough about these children to do such a wonderful act of kindness.
I wish your cousin the very best and the quickest road to recovery, harleyquinn.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #15
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
I wish your cousin the very best and the quickest road to recovery, harleyquinn. [/QUOTE]Thanks. We're all pulling for her. She's got quite the resolve and determination to beat this. It's amazing to find in a 6 year old.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:42 PM   #16
Lovisa
Manshoon

Very touching story Chewbacca and I just have to listen to that song Cerek, thanks for sharing 'em both with us... [img]graemlins/sadcrying4.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #17
Lavindathar
Harper

Touching mate, good read.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:09 PM   #18
Faceman
Hathor

It's stories like these which show if a popular person has decided to still be a person or switch to just being popular instead.
There are a lot of stars out there who donate money for PR reasons but it takes a lot more effort and integrity to do something real yourself like JK Rowling did in this case.
Talking about Harry Potter:
These books are the best new books for kids since long because they do NOT just tell a story but also convey values which can be spotted in the details.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:53 PM   #19
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovisa:
Very touching story Chewbacca and I just have to listen to that song Cerek, thanks for sharing 'em both with us... [img]graemlins/sadcrying4.gif[/img]
Here is a link to several clips by Mark Schultz. He's My Son is on the second album and you will need RealPlayer to listen to it. Listen to some of his other clips too...he is a truly gifted singer and songwriter.

Mark Schultz Music clips
Old 06-19-2003, 06:42 AM   #20
wellard
Dracolisk

A beutifull and moving song Cerek, thankyou [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]