Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 12:34 AM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
If you boot with a Win98 boot disk that has the format command, at the A: prompt type

format c:

to format the drive.

If you are installing 98 again, on the C: drive, create c:\windows\options\cabs and copy all the Win98 files into the cabs file. Then run setup from C:windows\options\cabs. This will make it so you'll never need to use the Win98 CD when you add new hardware. When Windows asks which directory to install windows in, do not use windows.000, just remove the zeros and it will set up windows in the directory you created.

Hope this helps.

Mark
So, humm... I would have to use dos...arg! I know nothing about dos. All I know is the command dir and dir/w. I don't even know how to change folders or browse the hard drive.

I'm a windows guy, I never used dos much. I think my dos is bugged, too. It does strange things.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:51 AM   #12
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

One bit of advice that has been overlooked. Make sure you have a bootable floppy with the device drivers for the CD rom. Otherwise, when you format the C drive you will be completely stuck and unable to access the CD rom to reinstall Windows. I would also recommend backing up her documents, settings, e-mail address book and even the e-mail messages.

Also take a note of any passwords (such as the dial-up) that may be needed. It's amazing just how much you forget when you have Windows remember your passwords.

A final tip which may or may not work is that I have heard that some (if not all) Win98SE CDs have a programme called OEMSetup which will automatically format your HD and install Windows without the need to run format C from DOS.

Best of luck. If anything goes wrong, say something like "Dammit, I wish manufacturer XXXXX would use standard BIOS setups like everyone else. I'll have to check something". Then come here and shout HELP very loudly [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

[ 03-15-2003, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 03-15-2003, 05:43 AM   #13
skywalker
Banned User

All you need is a Win98 boot disk with CD-Rom drivers (like Mouse said). Just go here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

and download the Windows98 SE OEM version listed.

Mark
Old 03-15-2003, 06:20 AM   #14
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:

In short, 98 SUCKS.
YES!!!! Finally someone who agrees with me!you could try to get 2000 but its discontinued and probably impossible, I'd recomend good ol' XP [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #15
skywalker
Banned User

98SE is better than ME.
2000 is better than XP.

I'm going to have redo my Win98 drive and dual boot with Win 2000 as soon as I get the motivation.

XP as an OS is too graphically intense and is a memory hog. I won't be running it on my home machine anytime soon.

Mark
Old 03-15-2003, 07:30 AM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

This is actually an area where Microsoft has some good articles. Do a search in their knowledge base and you will find prinatble instructions for formatting, installing and partitioning. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 10:07 AM   #17
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, what is the real difference between a Win XP Pro and Home???

2000 is best for work, XP is best for home... for people who like neat and colorful stuff showing in their computers... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #18
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Well, what is the real difference between a Win XP Pro and Home???

2000 is best for work, XP is best for home... for people who like neat and colorful stuff showing in their computers... [img]smile.gif[/img]
XP Pro is much better suited to networking, VPN's, and the like. The Home version is very much limited and has certain problems when working with complex network setups. XP Pro gives you a little more advanced security, although you can get the same security in Home, but only in safe mode.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:42 PM   #19
andrewas
Harper

Look up this thread:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=10;t=014547

regarding passwording shared files under XPhome. Turns out, it cant be done - because M$ removed that functionality. The links in that thread are quite informative as well.

At the moment, I cant in good faith recommend anyone use XPhome, because sooner or later one of the "minor" differences will cause trouble. The above problem is actualy very serious, since any technician would assume that XPhome would have that ability, being as how every windows ever has had it. Technicaly, this makes XpPhome crippleware - to get the functionality you expect, you need XPpro.

And all the help files are written for XPpro, and assume that the reader is at genius level and will take the time to read every single help article to find out all the little catches that M$ have introduced.

But I suppose, your average home user with no LAN, who dosent interface with any corporate networks, wont likely have any problems with XPhome.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #20
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:

But I suppose, your average home user with no LAN, who dosent interface with any corporate networks, wont likely have any problems with XPhome.
Quality advice as always, andrewas. I suspect that the majority of users here are either running stand alone machines or a limited home network. IMHO having used 3.11, 98SE and XP, XP is the more stable and (if you get to know it) the more user-friendly OS.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)