Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Zartan

Last I heard on epic levels (from David Gaider at the Bio-forums) was they would add alot to the marketablity to the game, ie. makes a great bullet point on the back of the box. No official word yea or nay, but I got the impression yea was probable. I'm for epic levels only if they won't take away zots from tilesets, monsters, placeables, and a kick as story/campaign.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

[off topic] I know I must seem really stupid, but what is "Epic Levels"? Is it like leveling up but it's really exciting, as an epic adventure? Huh?
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:25 PM   #13
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Epic levels are those above level 20.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #14
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Willard all I can say is you are so right. I had never thought about it but at the top of a cliff I would like to be able to see down. I remember reading somewhere about a camera hack. Does anyone know if this would fix Willards problem. Also does anyone see a big difference with the UnlockCamera=1 setting in the nwnplayer.ini file?(edited. OK I do now! I had it in the wrong place. [Control Options]
EnableDialogZoom=1
Unlockcamera=1

Make sure it is right under EnableDialogZoom. That fixed it for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also I agree we need more creatures added. We need and expansion that has nothing but new creatures. How long would it take for them to pop out 50 or 60 creatures. They do not have to be anything special. Give me some of the basics gorillas, doves, dinosaurs and etc. Griffins whould be great. None of these have special powers so all we need is a model and a skin and it is basically done. I guess the biggest hang up would be getting WoTC to sign off on the way they look.

Granamere

[ 07-22-2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:17 AM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

If I know what you're wanting to do, the Camera Hak has been modified to support a view down, but I warn you, there is nothing to see so it looks kinda funky. It's like the NWN's Skies Hak. FYI, if you want to see a more overhead view simply use 'Page-Up' and 'Page-Down'.

The unlock camera mode feature gives you 5 new zoom frames.

It's too early for Epic Levels. Why bother? 20th level is standard to D&D and most PNP campaigns never go beyond this, indeed before they were intergrated properly into D&D we never knew the differance. Think of the modifications to encounters and creatures. You can only kill so many Dragons. At 20th level a Great Red is nothing....they either create god-like monsters or just modify the stats of existing (Epic Balors? lol).

P.S

Atrayu Wrote:

Quote:
Please keep these guys out and everything will be fine (sorry, I hate these things!)
Noooooooooooooooooo! lol, I love Illithids. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #16
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

The unlock camera mode also lets you get level with the ground so you can see straight ahead which is a big deal to me. Although it can be a pain also if the camera is behind a rock or something.

SpiritWarrior it is only 3rd edition rules that were stupid enough to not include anything beyond 20 level. I am a diehard 1st edition fan. I have had many a good adventures above 20th level. The biggest thing here is that if you are playing pen and paper it will take you much longer to get above 20th level. In NWN I can get there in a mattter of weeks the way I play some people can get there in days if not hours. I would like to beable to use a character longer than that. Also an ancient dragon in NWN would not stand a chance against an adult dragon in my pen and paper. I know Bioware has done very well with what they have to work with. Also I do not want them to go back and change the way things are that would effect game balance too much. They have given us the tools so we can modify that ourself in any content we can make. Once epic levels are out I hope you change you mind because I think that is where the real challenge of this game will be. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Old 07-22-2003, 03:09 PM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well in 2nd edition the Epic Levels were done well. I dunno...it depends really on how they develop them. Still think it's too early though, and I think Bioware know this (especially from a moneymaking point of view).

The way I see it is like this: If people are already bored with the level cap a month after the first expansion then what's gonna happen after the Epic Level expansion?
Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #18
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

I do not follow what you mean by to early. NWN has been out over a year. I am tired of hitting the top and having to start over yet again. I want to keep going. If you look alot people wanted to take the character they had been playing and keep playing him/her in SOU. They did not want to start over. All the other expansions in the Baldur's Gate series let you keep expanding your character this is the first time they have released an expansion that you could not do that. I do like the idea of giving it to us slowly. If they would plan it out and tell us in advance I would be fine with getting 5 or 10 more levels per expansion as long as I knew what was coming. Also how many expansions are they really going to make? If you think about it most games end at two expansions because the game engine is out dated and they want to revamp everything. In this case I think when NWN2 comes out a bunch of what we are upset about will be fixed but if that is what they are waiting for tell us and let us know when that will be.

Granamere
Old 07-22-2003, 10:40 PM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

By too early I mean in proportion of expansions. I feel the second expansion is too soon. I doubt after the second that NWN's will cease (just look at everquest). At the least I'd say there will be 4 expansions in total but alot depends on how the initial ones are received by the public and this is why they have only planned two so far.

Right, I see your point about needing to at least know the level cap will be increased at some time and actually 5 or 10 levels per expansion would be good. But bear in mind once they do that they will utilize it in the OC's and when that point arrives there is no going back. If you think you're bored re-starting at level 1 each time imagine what you'll be like after getting a taste of god-like characters. You might have trouble starting at level 20 .

Anyone have an official words on the Epic Level arrival or are we still just speculating?

Edit: No official words but interesting dialogue all the same : http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewto...&forum=69&sp=0

[ 07-22-2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 07-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #20
Stratos
Vampire

OK, this is perhaps not HotU specific but still...

I would like to see a seperation between the classes to a larger extent. For example:

1. If your're being cynical you can view the Ranger as a weaker version of a Fighter with a few tweaks. I don't want to be more or less forced ( if we're talking single-class characters here) to be some kind of lightly armoured, dual wielding front-line fighter. I've read somewhere that the 3.5 rules sets will drastically change the Ranger class, such as making him a d8 class, adding some Rogue feats ( evasion, uncanny dodge) and giving him more skill points per level, which is something I welcome to make him different from a Fighter. You would instead have some kind of Fighter/Rogue hybrid and this will let you play a class that is more of a stealthy hunter/survivalist than a pure fighter.

2. The Sorcerer is basically just a different version of a Wizard. The only major different between them is that the Sorcerer don't have to memorize or copy spells into their spellbook whereas the Wizard have to. Wizard also gets some metamagic feats for free and will probably have more skill points due to his high INT while the Sorcerer only get the simple weapon feat. Bleh!
Why not give the Sorcerer a own pool of spells to choose from just like a Cleric and Druid have different spells ( some similarities but also differences.) And IIRC in PnP Wizards can research new spells while the Sorcerer can't and even though this is not implemented in the game the Wizard still gets his free metamagic feats. Why not give the Sorcerer some unique innate abilities such as, say, the ability to shapechange which grows stronger as he levels up a lá Druid. The have after all, supposedly, dragon or divine blood in their veins so they should be able to pull this off.

I know that these things isn't something we'll see in HotU and requires changes in the rules, but they are still changes I want to see made.