Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
SpitBall
The Magister

I have a soft spot for Mages - but, I had the same thought (RE: I may never play a Mage again). Actually, my current Party has both a Mage and a Psionic. They were developed so as to emphasize the offensive spells of the Mage and the antagonizing spells of the Psionic. They work well together, but in retrospect, they might be better off if developed the other way around - using the Psionic as offense, that is.
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Griefmaker
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by SpitBall:
Griefmaker: I am confused by one statement that you made - IF you intend to have a ranged fighter? Why "IF"? Between slings and bows - every character can be a ranged fighter. Granted, the spell-casters and technicians will not fight every round because they also "train" for magick and other skills, but by lvls 10+ pretty much every character should be able to hit just about any target at range. There are encounters where the Psionic Fairy hits for more damage with his Impaling Stones than the Samurai can manage with a Boomerang Shuriken. For my money - ranged weapons are too powerful to restrict to one or two characters.
Sorry, my mistake! I should have clarified my thinking a bit more. When I think "ranged" I have the demented idea that the true ranged classes are ranger, gadgie, and possibly even ninja. The reason why I think this is because when I use these characters, I always have them fight with "only' ranged weapons (I have never had my ranger or gadgie fight with a sword or other melee weapon, and sometimes I use my ninja just for throwing items and weapons).

I usually do have everyone with a long distance weapon also, but IMO the true ranged classes have a special reason for using thier ranged weapons--inherent instant kill, numerous status effects, etc.

Hopefully that clears up what I previously said a little bit. Sorry for the confusion.