Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2002, 09:29 AM   #11
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

I hope that's a joke

For once I am being perfectly serious.

BTW - did you know that the winners of the World Curling Championship are awarded the 'Silver Broom'?

or that 90% of the world's curling players come from Canada?

or that the granite stone weighs 44lb?

or that the game dates back to 16th century Scotland?

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Donut ]

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-21-2002, 09:43 AM   #12
Epona
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

For once I am being perfectly serious.

BTW - did you know that the winners of the World Curling Championship are awarded the 'Silver Broom'?

or that 90% of the world's curling players come from Canada?

or that the granite stone weighs 44lb?

or that the game dates back to 16th century Scotland?

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Donut ]

Ah well, I think that soon there will be a film about every imaginable subject!
I knew that the game was either Scottish or Irish in origin - couldn't remember which though!
Old 02-22-2002, 05:12 AM   #13
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
Lol! Sometimes you wonder how people come up with sports like that. Sweep the ice, yeah that's it i've made up a new sport!

You should show some respect for a sport which is more than twice as old as your country. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The curling final last night was incredible. This was Olympic sport as it should be, all of the British team have full-time jobs and are true amateurs.

There was none of the crash, bash action that you get in some of the other sports, the action starts slowly but at the end you could cut through the tension with a knife. I don't expect any of you that were not involved to be able to understand. The Swiss women kept dropping stones in front of the line to act as guards. Each time they did the British women had to take them out, one mistake would have meant defeat.

It all came down to the last stone in the last end after almost 3 hours. The Swiss had a stone virtually in the centre of the rings and there was a British stone behind it which would prevent the British skip (Rhona Martin)from knocking it out. If she was too light her stone would not hit the Swiss one, too heavy and her stone would run out leaving the Swiss one there.

So there it is, the essence of sporting competition distilled down into one moment in time. Try to imagine the pressure on her. Don't forget it is a team game, when Michele Kwan fell over the only person to lose was herself, if Rhona Martin missed she would be letting the other three members of her team down.

I expect you all think I'm completely mad but for about 12 seconds it was if time stood still. But she did it!!!

So to the medal ceremony. At football or rugby internationals in Scotland, when England play the National Anthem is not played because it will be booed. At the medal ceremony last night the anthem brought tears from the Scots - why is that?

I think the answer is that only in times of adversity such as wars and disasters, and when competing in sporting events as Great Britain is the United Kingdom truly united.

Now if only they hadn't held the Union Jack upside down for the photographs!

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Donut ]

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-22-2002, 10:21 AM   #14
Anarion

quote:

You should show some respect for a sport which is more than twice as old as your country. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The curling final last night was incredible. This was Olympic sport as it should be, all of the British team have full-time jobs and are true amateurs.

There was none of the crash, bash action that you get in some of the other sports, the action starts slowly but at the end you could cut through the tension with a knife. I don't expect any of you that were not involved to be able to understand. The Swiss women kept dropping stones in front of the line to act as guards. Each time they did the British women had to take them out, one mistake would have meant defeat.

It all came down to the last stone in the last end after almost 3 hours. The Swiss had a stone virtually in the centre of the rings and there was a British stone behind it which would prevent the British skip (Rhona Martin)from knocking it out. If she was too light her stone would not hit the Swiss one, too heavy and her stone would run out leaving the Swiss one there.

So there it is, the essence of sporting competition distilled down into one moment in time. Try to imagine the pressure on her. Don't forget it is a team game, when Nancy Kwan fell over the only person to lose was herself, if Rhona Martin missed she would be letting the other three members of her team down.

I expect you all think I'm completely mad but for about 12 seconds it was if time stood still. But she did it!!!

So to the medal ceremony. At football or rugby internationals in Scotland, when England play the National Anthem is not played because it will be booed. At the medal ceremony last night the anthem brought tears from the Scots - why is that?

I think the answer is that only in times of adversity such as wars and disasters, and when competing in sporting events as Great Britain is the United Kingdom truly united.

Now if only they hadn't held the Union Jack upside down for the photographs!

The game was lame and went on FAR too long (Ii lost interest after a bit)

Old 02-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #15
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Radiant_Memphit:

The game was lame and went on FAR too long (Ii lost interest after a bit)

I'm just having a stab in the dark here RM - I'm guessing that you are a young 'un. You see the problem with the yoof of today is that you have a short attention span. If you had watched to the end (as 5.7 million of us did) you would have seen the tension growing end by end.

Go on - admit it your Mum sent you to bed because it's a school night didn't she.

If it's any consolation to you my Mum sent me to bed at 11 pm on the night of Sunday July 20th 1969.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

quote:

If it's any consolation to you my Mum sent me to bed at 11 pm on the night of Sunday July 20th 1969.

Ha - it was my 6th Birthday (our time) - I remember it well .

Congratulations to the Scots errr.... Brits on their stunning success. First gold medal since Torvill & Dean in Sarajevo. Your catching up to us on the medal table, so encouragement is in order .
Old 02-23-2002, 09:46 AM   #17
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

Ha - it was my 6th Birthday (our time) - I remember it well .

Congratulations to the Scots errr.... Brits on their stunning success. First gold medal since Torvill & Dean in Sarajevo. Your catching up to us on the medal table, so encouragement is in order .

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT - forgot 1 smiley posts are considered spam

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Staralfur ]

We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:22 AM   #18
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

there must be something to it,i just can't figure it out.after all the beatles did it in one of their movies(think it was a hard days night).
Old 02-23-2002, 04:30 PM   #19
Lavindathar
Harper

Congrats to the team,

Just to add to Donut's facts, all the granite stones, are made from the granite off of one Scottish island , and no-where else in the world. Cant remember its name though....
Old 02-23-2002, 04:33 PM   #20
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:

I'm just having a stab in the dark here RM - I'm guessing that you are a young 'un. You see the problem with the yoof of today is that you have a short attention span. If you had watched to the end (as 5.7 million of us did) you would have seen the tension growing end by end.

Go on - admit it your Mum sent you to bed because it's a school night didn't she.

Do I class as a young un? (17)??? I stayed up to watch it all....