Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2003, 12:23 AM   #11
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Uh, some history would help us US folk. But, happy day anyway.
The 25th of April was the day the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (hence, ANZAC) landed at Gallipoli in 1915. I don't know when it was first set aside as a national day, but now it is a public holiday to commemorate all servicepeople in all the wars we've been a part of.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:23 AM   #12
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
just curious, What does ANZAC stands for?
Australia and New Zealand Army Corps
Old 04-26-2003, 12:31 AM   #13
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

oh, well...HAPPY ANZAC DAY!
Old 04-26-2003, 12:53 AM   #14
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Uh, some history would help us US folk. But, happy day anyway.
Anzac Day is a day's holiday in Australia and New Zealand *Anzac*. We are separate countries but in defence matters we are virtually as one, and our armies are designed to easily merge together should the need arise.

The day celebrates our fallen, returned, and those that currently serve in the protection of our two countries. Unlike most holidays whose reasons for celebration is forgot during the mad rush for the coast or holiday destination, Anzac day is one of respect and reverence.

It begins with dawn services all over the country. A lone bugle call and the reciting of the poem

"...At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them"

From "for the fallen" by Laurance Binyon

An incredibly moving experience, weather it be at the big centres of Sydney or Brisbane with their solemn masses, or the tiny outback towns with just a couple of old WW2 "diggers" or *returned soldiers*. Medals glistening in the sunrise, holding on to each other for support as they recall their brothers in arms no longer with us, but unquestionably surrounded by their spirits. And at there side will be children or grandchildren or wives of the fallen, bonding in the comradeship their loved ones knew.

And the day unfolds with marches where the people have a chance to show our thanks and reverence for those who made, or where prepared to make, the ultimate sacrifice for us. This event really brings the whole nation together and our returned servicemen are treated, not just on this day but every day, like no others in the world.

Sorry to ramble on but that dear Ironworkers is Anzac day.. in my eyes at least.

[ 04-26-2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-26-2003, 03:58 AM   #15
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Happy ANZAC day all you upsidedowners, lest we forget, nice post Wellard.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:50 AM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Great post Wellard [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #17
wellard
Dracolisk

awww shuks [img]tongue.gif[/img] actually thankyou guys, it was nice to see people overseas aware of what an *the* important date this is in Australia

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-26-2003, 07:20 AM   #18
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks for the history guys, sounds cool.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:46 AM   #19
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm a bit late in adding my post to the thread but i must say i'm surprised that so many people who are physically removed from Australian customs recognize our most important national holiday. Kinda makes me feel... warm.

Great post wellard. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Rest assured, the whole of Australia feels the same way and if they don't... well, it's just a pity that there aren't many of the old coots left to bend their ears over it. The King's Park ANZAC Day ceremony was one of the biggest in the nation but, sadly, it was the first time that there were no living Galipoli veterans to attend the service. It was, however, a near record attendance which goes to show that the memories of those long lost and of those who currently serve will not ever dim.

Lest We Forget.

As a footnote, I may be sounding more and more like me old grandads (forgive me) but this is something that bothers me as i'm sure it would them. It is not appropriate to use the term Happy ANZAC Day. It is not a holiday of giving and joyous merriment but rather of respect and solemn aknowledgment of the deeds of those who gave (or would give) their lives to defend us. This doesn't mean that you can't be happy on this day (indeed, many who are no longer with us would expect nothing less) but you don't greet a person with Happy ANZAC Day.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 04-27-2003, 04:57 PM   #20
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yeah Sever I was thinking that myself actually. Not really one of those streamers and cake days is it?

Still, the thought that counts innit