Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2001, 04:56 PM   #11
Balgin
Elminster

Actually Druadic I am a heavy duty role player who doesn't give a damn about graphics as long as he finds a good game that inspires him to start those good old dice rattling again.When people ask me what a role playing game is my favourite explanation is that "it's like a computer game but without the computer" what really turns me off is a computers inability to be haggled with, make on the spot rulings and generally keep all players having fun.There is a conspicuous lack of the social bonding and interaction that normally takes place around a gaming table/floor/patio/carpet etc. Needless to say I only play computer games when my mates aren't around or are busy. I know that most critics and reviewers have incredibly bad taste (they tend to give all fantasy films crap review for a start because they think "children" and it's generally interesting to watch the second worst rated films and see what unimaginative people are missing out when they simply follow the herd, I am not alone in this way of thinking, most of my family and a large group of my friends agree on things like this). This is why I have never bought a computer games related magazine in my entire life. That way I manage to bypass all of the crap reviews and go by the blurb on the back of the box or the most effective method of advertising ever-word of mouth recommendations. If other role players like it then it's probably good so I'll take a look.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:09 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Aye, Balgin. That's why I don't read computer gaming reviews anymore. Just like listening to Siskel & Ebert (when Siskel was alive, that is). I'd listen to them and then go do the opposite...worked every time.

I used to be a devoted reader of CGW and PC Gamer...then realized I was spending my money for cr*p and tossed them. I haven't read them in over 4 years, and haven't missed out on anything, as I can tell from this forum and others. Internet's the best place to find out information, if you can find a reliable source (like this forum!)

Everyone picks on "console" games as being the reason PC games get bad reviews. The console market's not doing as well as it could be, either, especially with the demise of Sega. Markets wax and wane; and consoles and PCs are worlds apart. However, I agree that someone who was raised on console games shouldn't be doing reviews on PC games, or vice-versa.

My best info on games? Word of mouth from trusted sources, and from scanning the shelves in stores.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:43 PM   #13
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What gets me mad is the magazines just don't get it. They think children play these games - heck, they can't even afford the games! When I just turned 9, my parents used to say "if you want something, go and find a job for someone and make some money. Then you can buy what you want." Funny, I used to clean horse stalls for $25 an hour! I made ALOT of money and bought my first Apple //e system which I do miss. I then dropped it since Apple Computer were a bunch of losers by dropping it and went to a Tandy 1000EX. I then went to an 1000HX and a TL/2 before I got to my 386SX. I went from that to a 486/66 and then to an AMD 550. Wow what jumps I've made. I now own an AMD Thunderbird Athlon at 900MHz (slot A) with 512MB of memory and an ATI Rage 128 Fury card with 32MB of memory. It not only runs W&W but Thief 2 ran without a hitch!

I quit buying magzines when I started to read nothing but garbage. Graphics are not up to date, gameplay is too unengrossed, blah and blah! WHO CARES?!?!?!?
My Lord, I just can't fathom what happened. I remember when games were written by one or two people and they sold TONS of them! Look at SSI! They wrote Gemstone Warrior, Wizard's Crown and Questron. They all were AMAZING and sold THOUSANDS of copies. Why? The gameplay and storylines were very well written and the graphics were NOT hi-tech. No one cared as long as they got a good game. I STILL play my Dos games! I have Breakers (text adventure), Forbidden Quest (text adventure), The Lost Treasures Of Infocom I and II (text adventures), Starship Titanic (there was a great game that did poorly as well and it rocked!) and Chasm: The Rift (which was an amazing realistic game like Doom but did EXTREMELY POOR but I LOVED IT). I still have my original Pinball Dreams by 21st Century Entertainment!!!

My point is if these guys are getting paid for bashing people that work their butts off then why pay them? Not everything needs hi-tech graphics folks. Some games have absolutely NO storyline and the games are fantastic! They then get bad ratings and people ignore them. I wish there were more people like you guys that GO TO THE STORE and read the boxes. I personally DO NOT just look in a magazine and wing it. I WILL go to the store and read boxes. I don't just look at the cover either. Many people do - they shy away from something that just doesn't look right to them and that's really wrong.

One last thing: I can truly say Wizards and Warriors has some of the LOWEST requirements I've ever seen for a game. That's really impressive for such a massive 1.4 GIG game! I also KNOW the name DW Bradley and LOVED his older games. His name IS NOT what made me buy it, but a review I saw in Computer Games Magazine. It really ticked me off that W&W got such a low rating so I just went into Ebay and bought it. Now I'm looking for the collector's edition to add to my vualt of games. This game WILL remain a classic for those that truly appreciate RPG games. It's about time we see a REAL GAME. Realtime gaming is just out of hand and 99% of those games REEK! If you want games that royally stink, try Dreamcatcher Interactive. I got through Dracula: Resurrection in one hour! Is that worth $29? NO WAY.

I hope to hear MORE from you guys. I love to vent about how good this game REALLY IS! I LOVE getting lost and having my guys in peril before I can reach a town. Makes the game very dramatic. I do have to say SCABBAN RULES! SCABBAN IS TOTALLY COOL! I want to see more of him!!!

Keep the Wizards and Warriors faith my loyal brothers and sisters!!!

Druadic
Druadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2001, 11:56 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I just posted on another of the forums I'm on that I'm replaying Wizardry 7: Dark Savant right now so as to have a party ready to take on Wizardy 8, since I have long lost all my older Wiz 7 playgames years ago. It's interesting comparing Wizards and Warriors to Wiz 7. I still keep a lot of my older DOS games around, the ones that were my favorites. It's also why I always plan to keep a DOS-type computer in the house.

I've already said all I can about reviewers; for me to say any more would be redundant; other than they are birds that foul their own nests.

WW does have a niche market, and probably will have a cult following. That's about the best most games may hope for. There's still a lot of other games that I like that are not like WW. I plan to play Neverwinter Nights when it comes out; mainly because I like what I see on it. I don't think it's going to be a lame rehash of BGII. Normally I shy away from the AD&D-type games, since I don't think computers do them justice, but NWN looks to be a bit different.

And, yes, I agree that a game that can be figured out in less than 30 hours isn't worth the money. Myst is to blame for most of the trend in computer games nowadays, which tend to be a little better than glorified screensavers with some puzzles thrown in for interest.

Okay, let's not get me started ranting on Myst. I'll be here all night.

Wizards and Warriors has all the hallmarks of being a truly great game, and I'll like to see more like it. Tweak the engine a little bit, tighten up the levelling system, take some of the interactivity bugs (like those pesky ladders) out of it; it should be a classic.

-Sazerac
Old 03-11-2001, 12:31 AM   #15
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I haven't had ANY problems at all! The game has not crashed, messed up or even shown one error to me! The only problem I have is with this BLOOMING WINDBLOWS! I HATE IT. Windblows has so many problems I can't count them on my fingers; I don't have enough!

Personally to me, this game IS A CLASSIC. It will be in my software vault FOREVER as a piece of gaming history. I can't find fault with this game at all. Like I said before, I haven't installed Direct X 7.0 or even the patch and my game runs just perfectly. I can't understand what's going on with all the bugs though. Maybe it's just me ignoring them? Perhaps but I've not seen one on my end of my system. Huh, maybe I'm really ignoring them?

Anyway, I love the game. It's GREAT, the world is VAST and the STORYLINE is so immense I just want to keep playing till the end. This game grasps you in REALISM and won't let go. Who cares about the graphics eh? I like them! They look nice and neat for the characters and towns! The outdoors looks good too and we HAVE TO REMEMBER that this game was written for 4 long years. I'm SURE he wanted to updated the graphics but saw the game for the way it was and it looked good to him. It looks PERFECT to me! This game makes 99% of the games out in the stores look like a pile of BARF!!!! I really feel like I'm IN THE GAME. DW WE WANT MORE PLEEEEEASE! At least an add-on! I'd be EVER SO GRATEFUL!
I do hope he reads these boards. I'd like to email him just once and tell him everything I've said here.

Thanks again guys for venting. I think this "community" of Wizards and Warriors fanatics will reign for a LONG TIME. Take care and see you in the forest!!!

Druadic
Old 03-11-2001, 12:36 AM   #16
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sazerac, I have the Ultimate Wizardry Archives and I LOVE parts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 myself. DW KNOWS what he's doing doesn't he? I LOVE his games and I realize the first 4 weren't done by him but I LOVE the mazes and how primative the game looks after so many years. The game is STILL a masterpiece just like W&W WILL be when I show it to my children someday. I VOW to show this game to my kids and let them play it. They'll be addicted I'm sure!

You guys are great. I went back to the HPI posting area and went ballistic on these guys that are complaining again. Ahhhh, if they only KNEW how to setup thier configurations on their systems huh? Oh well, can't teach someone something they just don't want to apply themselves to. If they just would read and pay attention they could have the game running. When will whiners ever learn?
Old 03-11-2001, 12:45 AM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, well, leave the whiners to heaven! That's why I don't frequent the HPI boards.

You didn't mention Wizardry 5 & 6...those were DW Bradley's work as well. I personally loathed 4 (Werdna) but enjoyed the first 3 as well; especially the first one. The Wizardry Archives was definitely a blast from the past.

-Sazerac
Old 03-11-2001, 01:06 AM   #18
Druadic
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Funny, I asked Sir-Tech personally (called them) and asked when a collection of ALL the games were going to be released. They said never. Funny, it takes Interplay (YES INTERPLAY) to release so many classics. They released all thier classics. SO MANY TOO. I bought ALL those oldies and they're just perfect. Too bad we can't see more RPG's like W&W! People need to see that "old-school" games (or what they think of them) are far from dead. The RPG market is HUGE but it's just that all these companies whimper out. Thanks to Activision we got a classic winner here! Thanks for posting bud! I like to talk about this stuff since RPG gaming is a BIG TIME thing recently. Many of the older genres WILL make a BIG COMEBACK. Just watch; DW Bradley took a chance with this one and he has ALOT OF GROUPIES!!!!

Druadic
Old 03-11-2001, 09:20 PM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Druadic, the reason that Sir-Tech wouldn't (and never will) release all the old Wizardries is that Sir-Tech is, for the most part, "dead". Only the Australian and Canadian branches of the company remain, and they're in Chapter 13 bankruptcy from what I've been able to determine. This is one of the reasons Wiz 8 has been so long in the making; their publishing division is gone. I doubt seriously that there will ever be a Wizardry 9, unless someone decides to carry on the torch. (It would be nice if DW did, since the best Wizardries, IMO, were from his hand).

Interplay released the Wizardry Archives in 1998 to appeal to the "classic" gamers; if anyone, I have a feeling that Interplay will be the ones to publish Wizardry 8 (any more information on this, anyone)?

All information I have received regarding Sir-Tech and Wizardry 8 has been obtained from comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, and as such, should be taken with the proverbial "grain of salt." Confirmation or refutation of this would be greatly appreciated.

And, yes, "old-time" RPG's still have a lot of life in them, and a pretty strong fan base. WW is indicative of that.

-Sazerac
Old 03-13-2001, 10:57 AM   #20
Dr.Orangutan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hey druadic you never said what you actually had on your computer ,
i love this game , if only i had a pc that was worthy enough to play it properly, i have a pent2 300 196 megs ram windblows98 ,direct x7.0a
and diamond monster fusion voodoo2 3d card(sucks real bad)
Dr.Orangutan is offline   Reply With Quote