Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2001, 04:43 PM   #11
Traute
The Magister

>I must say that going solo is by far the most thrilling experience in this game... now, if you want real challenge... start the game over with a new character each time you're solo guy dies.<

Do you have a choice? What happens if a solo char dies? Is there any way to resurrect him?
Traute
Traute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 05:00 PM   #12
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Traute - you can reload a saved game!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:56 PM   #13
Max
Dungeon Master

This is how I get around the problem of a solo character reaching he's demise is as follows.

Have a character in the town Inn all the time, maybe one you use for the gold cheat or just one you might use as a mule character. If this character always has at least 1000 gold on them then on the event of your solo death you can go to the temple and use the "rites" option to resurect them. This will also apply if your solo character gets turned to stone, in both events (death and stone) you will be returned to the town Inn.

For any solo players starting with wizards use merlins shield all the time it will allow you to bash open chests without being affected by the traps in them. It will also protect you from being turned to stone and getting wasting disease (well 99% of the time it will).

------------------
......shake it baby.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 10:53 PM   #14
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

You mean to tell me that you'd send your level 1 mule to get the remains of your hero (who's now in the belly of a shark) so that he could be revived at a temple? Your mule wouldn't last the first encounter past Ishad N'Ha, and you're hero would still be dead 'cause no one could bring him back to civilization... unless of course another hero happened to stumble on his remains and get his hands on that 1500000 gp that was it's bags

Anyway, I know how to use the save/load options... I use them all the time when I'm done playing for the day. I just like to get the max out of a game. The only game I played that I wasn't able to finish in one life was Diablo... I got wacked on four different occasions by Diablo himself (after about 55 games)... but I still managed to finish the game with the good old reload.

Once you've finished the game in one piece and on your first and only life, you know you've beaten the game.

As for the Wizard Solo start-up strategy... I would say that running will take you further than using a shield spell. On my first tries, I changed to a Ranger to get the "Disarm Trap" spell and then to a Paladin to get "Heal".

This time around, my first switch was to Barbarian. I boosted the lockpick (lvl 6) and by the time I killed that first mummy in the Crypt, I had 80 HP. It's not alot but for a wizard it's pretty good. I just finished the Serpent Temple and so far, I only used 5 little health potions and 7 cure poison potions... and I still don't have Spirit Craft and Vine Craft !!!

Anyway, Sazerac, how's your guy doing?
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 11:44 PM   #15
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Coolness Saz! You have our interest and our best wishes. I'm with Moni on hoping you get some good pics for the Examiner. And the Wizard's dagger too of course!

Hugs,
Mammawlin
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 02:41 AM   #16
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I am on my second solo trip. The first time my character died on his first encounter. I started all over with a slightly different character and then shamelessly used the toughen potion cheat to give me just the edge I needed. (I went from 8 hp to 38 hp.) I never used it after that and for the first 6 levels I only got one hit point. My character never died after that. When he finally finished he was a 133rd level assassin. I probably would have started over if he had died in the middle of the game, but by the time he was at Colasium he was just about invincible. I did go back to a previous save one time when he got bit by the "Fish above the cage" bug and could not go down the trap to get the second Tablet of Cet, but he never died.

I started a quest with only four characters, but they never made it past the Toad Village. I had to go back to a solo character. Solo is the best way to go.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 02:01 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Okay, got a question for the members of "Club Uno":

If I'm correct, there's no need for a solo character to get the spells "Exorcism", "Rebirth", or "Resurrect", right? It may seem to be obvious, but in a game where dead characters can still carry items and tell you when they sense a monster, anything is possible.

If I don't need them, then my solo Paladin is on his way to becoming a Ranger next.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 02:40 PM   #18
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Exorcism might be useful if you get hit with a Minion's Curse and the only affect is that you can't fight. But there is no need for Rebirth or Ressurect. Although I did get the Exorcism spell, I never had to use it. The only time I got hit with a Minion's Curse was in a 6 player party. My poor Ratling thief was trying to open a chest slightly too difficult.

Knarfling: Sorry guys, I just couldn't lift my sword.
Dezmund: Yeah, Right! I took extra hits because you are a cowardly rat!
Brumburg: It is not his fault. I can see the curse on him.
Dezmund: Can you cure it??? No, I didn't think so. So now we have to trot back to the village and pay big bucks just so our cowardly thief, Who can't pick his way out of a paper bag!!!!, doesn't have an excuse not to fight!
Knarfling: Whose the one that finds more gold for you? Did you find those extra coins in the bottom of the chest? And what about those chain boots I found for you? Would you have found them?
Dezmund: Yeah you found lots of gold for us... And then make us WASTE it on you! Don't forget that I got hurt because you didn't cover my back.
Brumburg: And I healed those hurts for you. And it was time to go back and turn in the Ring at the temple anyway. Aren't you about ready to get more instruction at the guild?
Aragwar: Would you guys stop arguing and move it? I am about ready to leave you here in the crypt in the dark.
Dezmund: ~mumbles about stupid ratlings and whiskahs~

Sorry to hear that you are not going for the Crusade. I did my Paladin Quest a little later in the game and got the Crusade Trait. Rumphy was worth 15,000 exp each time after that. Every time I changed classes I could quickly get to level 10 just using Rumphy. Shurugeon Castle was worth a little more and so was Cet's Pyramid.

Knarfling

[This message has been edited by Knarfling (edited 04-07-2001).]
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 02:57 PM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Weeeeell, actually...

I had my "mule" accompany me to the Temple and by doing the "click" trick...I got up in the guild levels prematurely and got the "Crusade" trait.

Naughty!

I only do that once, though. Since you get unlimited credit for Jathil's quest later, it's kind of moot anyway.

-Sazerac

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 04-07-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:02 AM   #20
CyberPixie

Hey Saz...how's the solo character doing?