Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sir ReGiN, one-word responses aren't allowed on this forum...it's called SPAM. If you want to describe with one word, then expound on why, and stimulate discussion, that's fine. But everyone posting just one word is a spam-fest. If that continues here, I will close this thread.

I'm going to leave it open for the time being to see if the remaining posters choose to turn it into a more open discussion.

The word I would use to describe humans is "ridiculous". Ridiculous in that they think they're vastly more important than they are, and yet are so easily swayed or influenced by others. Looking at most human behavior, I'm torn between laughing, crying, or both...including my own. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 06-02-2002, 02:37 PM   #12
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Idiots!!
I cant se why you call this post a "spam" it is cool i think!! Sazerac

[ 06-02-2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 06-02-2002, 02:37 PM   #13
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

You heard the man (points up)
Feel free to say why you chose what you did and why you wouldn't choose anything else.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:
You heard the man (points up)
Feel free to say why you chose what you did and why you wouldn't choose anything else.
I think that with the power we wield, we are gods; we could potentially destroy all life on this planet, but still preserve our race.
We could easily bring life to other planets (mars & moon since theirs water there) if the funding was raised.
We can change nature with our intervention, deforesting whole continents and changing pastures to desert.
Our existence has permanently changed the earth and we can alter life on a genetic level, Preserve life beyond what is natural thanks to life support machines, We can even Do organ transplants, Artificial hearts, Weapons of an efficiency and power unequalled, yet also the potential for good deeds (which nothing else can match, since it is only humans that have such concepts), and our powers can only grow.

Only Humans have meaningful lives, Compared to any other animals or indeed anything else on earth, we are gods.

[ 06-02-2002, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Dramnek_Ulk ]

Old 06-02-2002, 02:49 PM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

My one word is- Young.

We still have some evolving to do, individually and collectively. And plenty of time to do it as long as we avoid self-annihalation.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:55 PM   #16
Horatio

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
And plenty of time to do it as long as we avoid self-annihalation.
Which is my point. We will, eventually, lead to our own explosive, painful death, whether directly or from a chain of events we cause. And we can do nothing to stop this.

There. Bet that's brightened up your day now, hasn't it?
Old 06-02-2002, 02:57 PM   #17
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
My one word is- Young.

We still have some evolving to do, individually and collectively. And plenty of time to do it as long as we avoid self-annihalation.
Ah, but that is where we prove ourselves to be so great, for we can bypass the natural to a certain extent, through our own creations such as society and science, perhaps one day we will have the potential to genetically or cybernetic alter ourselves to create something better than the form we have evolved to, our evolution can be taken into the hands of a conscious intelligence, thus allowing us to shape our form into a superior one.

Old 06-02-2002, 02:58 PM   #18
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

The word I would use to describe humans is "ridiculous". Ridiculous in that they think they're vastly more important than they are, and yet are so easily swayed or influenced by others. Looking at most human behavior, I'm torn between laughing, crying, or both...including my own. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac
The truly amazing aspect about humans is though that while your description is mostly accurate when it comes to the human race as a whole - we are laughable in our predictability - the individual human being remains so utterly confusing and unpredictable - whenever you think you have truly figured him or her out the person in question will say or do something that forces you to at least alter your perception significantly. So, maybe the right word to describe the common denominator of those two different perspectives would be "humbling".
Old 06-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #19
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
quote:
And plenty of time to do it as long as we avoid self-annihalation.
Which is my point. We will, eventually, lead to our own explosive, painful death, whether directly or from a chain of events we cause. And we can do nothing to stop this.

There. Bet that's brightened up your day now, hasn't it?
[/QUOTE]I don’t think so, the human race will survive, just most of it will die perhaps, if such a thing does come to pass.
The Chinese have already set in motion plans for a moonbase, and they hope to have it ready by 2010, It may eventually become self sustaining, and it would be far beyond the reach of any human weapons as of the moment.

Old 06-02-2002, 03:05 PM   #20
Horatio

But will we not do the same on the moonbase? Do not think that we will learn from our mistakes. Trust me, we won't.