Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 06:50 PM   #11
Charlie
Lord Ao

Told ya, I got to get me some typing lessons Nuts.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:52 PM   #12
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thank you Charlie and CB. Most informative, and I think most of my questions are answered.

Sazerac, what to you mean by p-killing? never heard the term.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:53 PM   #13
Charlie
Lord Ao

Lady Avalon, dump the M-Player idea as all you're doing is going through a middle man. Go for a direct TCP/IP link to your partners machines.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-09-2001, 06:56 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Bless you, Milamber, that there are some innocent people in this world. P-killing means "player character killing." There are some deviant individuals in this world that think that multiplayer means going and rolling up a character, boosting them (or hacking them) to insane, godlike levels, and waiting at multiplayer gaming portals for newbies to enter so they can kill their character, steal their loot, and boast about it and get the experience.

That's why I'm trepidatious about multiplayer gaming. Like I said, IF I knew and trusted the ones I was playing with...

-Sazerac
Old 04-09-2001, 06:59 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Epona and Lady Avalon,

If any of you ever want to try let me know, either by post or email, and we can give it a shot. Hey, we can't make fun of eachother if we are all doing it for the first time right?

Epona, once again, sorry about my sig, it should be better now.
Milamber!

YES try it out as new players together! This is how *I* learned and the people I play with learned at the same time. We grew as a "team" and now we have a pretty good rapport! And I have to tell you, once you get basics settled, the game is so GOOD as a group effort!

Remember- it is NOT like the single game. You don't control everyone or everything. Someone else can sell things or buy things, you may not because your Charisma is lower...also dividing the spoils takes agreement. Lots of things come up, including when to rest or save or even WHERE to go and what pc's to pick up. I recommend you keep the players to 3-4 no more. You need room for pc's for quests and xp!

Good luch!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-09-2001, 07:05 PM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
The only way I would ever play multi would be if I knew the people well enough. I have heard far too many horror stories about p-killing to make me ever want to attempt multiplayer in an unknown environment. From reading some of the posts in the W&W forum, I can tell there are a few (not many, but a few!) posters there that fit that (p-killing) profile to a T: aggressive, stat-mongering, and kill-happy.

How do you as multiplayers deal with this threat? Is it really a threat, or is it just so much hype? Not trying to be ignorant here; I'd really like to know, as a solo player for 20 years...is it worth it?

Sazerac,

I lucked out on this forum (old board) and joined Charlie and Turbovee and we worked a lot out but NONE of us wanted to play for stats or kills or such. (we have a 4th player occasionally)

We wanted the 'realistic' feel of the adventure. The sharing resources and decisions and a bit of the unknown. You never know how a battle will go because you don't control all the aspects! THAT was the biggest thing to get used to and is my biggest RUSH in a game. When we hit the slavers (CC) I was amazed at how it felt. Spells and arrows flying all around my characters and I knew only what *I* was doing and suddenly WHAMMO..it was over! Like that! WHEW!

My partners are the most patient of players and considerate to a fault. Don't tell them, but I think the LET me have final kill of that Shadow Dragon!

Oh and we started the game from SCRATCH with beginning levels, too! NO super pc's. More of a challenge and we all like it!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 04-09-2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 07:06 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
The only way I would ever play multi would be if I knew the people well enough. I have heard far too many horror stories about p-killing to make me ever want to attempt multiplayer in an unknown environment. From reading some of the posts in the W&W forum, I can tell there are a few (not many, but a few!) posters there that fit that (p-killing) profile to a T: aggressive, stat-mongering, and kill-happy.

How do you as multiplayers deal with this threat? Is it really a threat, or is it just so much hype? Not trying to be ignorant here; I'd really like to know, as a solo player for 20 years...is it worth it?

Saz: Anytime I end up 'un-multiplayer gamed' I would gladly play one with you!

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-09-2001, 07:14 PM   #18
Charlie
Lord Ao

P Killing (a term I've never heard of either) is unlikely in BG2. The "portals" are the machines that you decide to link to and you are not going in blind as you have already agreed to play together. As for killing and looting, well what are you going to do with the loot from an unsuspecting completely skint, stark bollock naked newbie? All you are left with is a single hacked super player in a multi-player game whereby everything was available at some stage of the game anyway. No no no, no scare mongery here please. This kind of stuff may well happen in Ultima online or whatever and it may happen between people that fall out big time in BG2. Personally I think that you will soon discover any player compatability issues and quit the game before going too far into it.

My opinion only and I wouldn't let such stuff put anyone off of attempting what could well be a very entertaining and rewarding adventure.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:14 PM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Bless you, Milamber, that there are some innocent people in this world. P-killing means "player character killing." There are some deviant individuals in this world that think that multiplayer means going and rolling up a character, boosting them (or hacking them) to insane, godlike levels, and waiting at multiplayer gaming portals for newbies to enter so they can kill their character, steal their loot, and boast about it and get the experience.

That's why I'm trepidatious about multiplayer gaming. Like I said, IF I knew and trusted the ones I was playing with...

-Sazerac
Saz- NOT possible if you do the TCP/IP connection. You link directly to your host who is another player! And only people he allows in, get in. They need his IP and permission to join a game. So believe me, anyone who pulled that stunt would be dumped and never play again around here! Still, it is good to know your partners as similar styles or attitudes toward the game can help things run more smoothly.

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-09-2001, 07:17 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL! Charlie and I sound like echos of each other here!

That long post of yours is VERY good, Charlie. Nice and thorough. Wonder if we ought to post a pointer to this thread in BG2?

Cloudy

PS...post to the For Charlie thread or better yet just email me what's up?

------------------

Storm-Queen
Heart Mind Soul Forever