Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2003, 05:33 PM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Con Ed = Consolidated Edison. Edison Electric was huge in the past, and the name lingers. We have ComEd (Commonwealth Edison) in IL.

I previously litigated against NiMo (Niagara Mohawk), and had to do dusty document reviews in the Syracuse HQ.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
Jorath Calar
Harper

Okey thanks, I'm here in my uni library and I heard two girls talk about that they hope terrorists won't use the situation to make their attack, crap that didn't even occur to me before and its kind of a scary thought...:/
Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 PM   #13
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Looks like it's almost over, everything is coming back slowly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Check out http://www.cnn.com/ though.. It's VERY rare you see bold headlines... the last time was 9/11, or War.. ect.

OMG, I am watching Newyorks channel 4, and the 'top' dude that does the news cast thought he was talking live to a Con Edison employee, and then the guy says "Would you like Howard Stern's balls on your chin". (what a moron) and it was live guys... he just cut him off, and said "even in serious situations, we have mindless people doing mindless things".

Old 08-14-2003, 09:27 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

uh..I was replying to LadyZ's thread and it's gone so here's my reply anyway!

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
LOL LofA - May the drill never die!

Hope Cloudy is OK, it's so hot in NY right now, nobody has AC, and the gas pumps aren't working so apparently a few are screwed if they are low on gas. Yorick called me earlier as well, asking me if I knew what was happening, heard anything on the news, but that must have been right when it happened and I hadn't heard anything about it. Hope he is OK as well. So many still in traffic and walking! Uggg..
It ain't pretty, that's for sure! My power is temporarily on and may stay on, we aren't sure. They are simultaneously talking about rolling blackouts to share the power evenly and having it all up in 8 hrs or so. I'm not sure what's really going on as the newscasters had a dozen theories ranging from hackers to lightning (I posted at Oasis, btw).

Tell Yorick hello and I can commisserate! I don't have his current number (he does get around, that bard! LOL) or I'd tell him what I know from the governor's speech earlier tonight. They are working on restoring power and hopeful that it will be back tomorrow, but asking people to conserve if they DO have it and to unplug appliances so that there won't be a surge and potential fires when the power kicks on in each area.

It was nerve wracking driving home..I got out of work ...heck I got off an elevator, JUST as the power was kicking off! I didn't realize it wasn't a very local thing til I'd hit my third major intersection with no traffic lights and then got out by the airport (on my way to get Nacht - we had a date to go to dinner! LOL figures, huh? [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and saw they had no lights either.

Our local grocery stores and convenient stores and all malls shut down so Nacht and I found ONE with a generator and bought some water and ice and batteries. Naturally our power kicked on around 2 hrs later, but if it goes off again, we'll at least have lanterns and a radio working!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:49 PM   #15
Seraph
Quintesson

[Hands Couldbringer a "I survived the blackout of 2003 and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"]

I have to say that with a few minor exceptions things have been really smooth. The sheriffs department base station lost their transmiter for a while here so all the cops were forced to go to peoples homes and ask to use the phone to find out what was going on. The state labs lost power for a while aparently caused problems.

That said I think things could easily have been much worse up here.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:48 PM   #16
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm really anoyed. I heard that because of the power outage in Ontario, they would cut off Quebec's power all night, too. So that they can "reboot" the network in ontario.

I spend my nights awake. I have no light source, so if this is true I'll be in total darkness, so I won't even be able to read. I'll be stuck here alone in the darkness all night with nothing to do.

The only option I have left is going to sleep early, but that won't work. It would be the equivalent of a normal person trying to go to sleep at 3 pm in the day.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:51 PM   #17
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Really? That sucks. I thought they weren't going to tamper too much with Quebec's power, so they could medevac emergency cases to Quebec (Gatineau and other places.) That really bites Luv.

I heard on CBC Newsworld that it could be hours or a couple of days before power gets back. Does anyone know the answer?

Also, I find it funny that all the news networks in Canada and the States are broadcasting live about the blackout. How much is there really to report? "We don't have power, the lights aren't working."
Old 08-15-2003, 01:01 AM   #18
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Bah! Power was out here for 8.5 hours. Went out at 4:15 and came back at 12:50. Power was out all across the province too. No AC, no computer, warm fridge, hot temperature...really annoying...well at least powers back...for now...
Old 08-15-2003, 01:54 AM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL! Thanks, Seraph, you can say it too! I heard half of Broadway had power and the other half didn't up your way! Crazy times!

Our firemen and police are are all geared up for emergencies and the national guard is out. The Governor declared a state of emergency. Don't you just love technology?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:02 AM   #20
SecretMaster
Apophis

I finally got an internet connection, westchester didn't have it bad.