Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2002, 12:33 AM   #11
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

As an alternative you can try the old "run away" method. Send one hasted character up the stairs to attack them. When they turn hostile, immediately run back downstairs. Hopefully, you will only have one or two follow you down. Kill 'em, save, rebuff and heal, and repeat.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:37 AM   #12
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lharae:
Your main problem is you need at least one tank to soak the their fighters' blows. Also do you have stinking cloud or fireball? Those work well too.

You're missing alot of spells for a party that's so heavy on spellcasters.
I have both of those.
Did you look at my levels ?? I have done one quest since I got out of Chateau Irenicus, so I *can`t* have many spells yet. I`m doing this quest mainly for a bit of money, to get more spells and the Robe of Vecna.
And why do I need a tank ?? Solo Sorcerers have been known to win this fight, so why not 3 Mages, 2 Clerics, a Druid, a Fighter and a Thief ??
Hmm, come to think of it I do have a tank- Jaheira. Although her spells usually take a long time to cast; Jan is probably more of a tank with Hide in Shadows and all that... Ok, I don`t have a tank [img]tongue.gif[/img] ; but I still can`t see why I need one [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

Desuma- main reason i`m doing this fight is to get some money and spells
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:59 AM   #13
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

OK, then have someone cast strength, haste and improved invisibility on Jan and have him go upstairs alone to backstab the mage. Have your "autopause" option set to pause when enemy is gone. If he can actually take out the mage in one blow then the game autopauses and you can try to hide in shadows before anyone else turns hostile. If the hide in shadows succeeds, try again. When it fails, run downstairs and use the "run away" strategy mentioned before.

[ 10-01-2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Desuma Malevois ]
Old 10-01-2002, 02:52 AM   #14
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I did it I did it
Only took about 5 hours in the end

And I did two things that noone here mentioned: I turned off Party AI so Jan didn`t attack too soon; and I used Stoneskin to absorb the Backstab while I was killing the thief [img]smile.gif[/img]
Pre combat buffs were Haste, Invisibility 10' Radius, and Strength of one; plus Stoneskin for Jan and Aerie.

I am now truly appreciating the value of stoneskin- never did use it before; thought it was useless

Now I can`t wait to find a scroll of it to have my PC learn

Only problem now is; I have 18k gold, I`m going to work for Bodhi this game; and I also want the Robe of Vecna from Deidre ASAP.
Valen just approached me with Bodhi's offer.
At 11 Rep and 23 Charisma, the Robe of Vecna is still VERY VERY expensive. Maybe I should have made my PC Lawful Good for the rep+ ?? [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 08:18 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You are not soloing. Buying the Robe of Vecna is not such a high priority.

[ 10-01-2002, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:15 AM   #16
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I don`t have any tanks; so my spellcasters are in the front line: how will I survive if every single one of them is affected by slow casting times, and thus prone to Casting Failure ??
Old 10-02-2002, 10:33 AM   #17
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
I don`t have any tanks; so my spellcasters are in the front line: how will I survive if every single one of them is affected by slow casting times, and thus prone to Casting Failure ?? [/QUOTE]What are the odds that EVERY one of them is going to be interupted? It only takes one or two of them to get off an area of effect spell, and the whole place is going straight to hell.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:07 PM   #18
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

One spellcaster can act as the diversion, and use spells like Stoneskin + Mirror Image to take several hits while the other spellcasters lock and load. If you time it correctly, you can even spit out a Skull Trap without much fear of hurting the 'tanker'. Just make sure he/she has enough Mirror Images.

In any case, Jaheira is a suitable tank due to her Ironskins and excellent DEX.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:34 PM   #19
Ghostalker
Dungeon Master

I dont see whats stopping you from getting fighters into your party....but if you want to keep the dwarf occupied summon creatures..theyre expendable,
Ghostalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:05 PM   #20
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
One spellcaster can act as the diversion, and use spells like Stoneskin + Mirror Image to take several hits while the other spellcasters lock and load. If you time it correctly, you can even spit out a Skull Trap without much fear of hurting the 'tanker'. Just make sure he/she has enough Mirror Images.

In any case, Jaheira is a suitable tank due to her Ironskins and excellent DEX.
Jaheira doesn`t have Ironskin yet...
I`ll try Stoneskin+Mirror image on Aerie; and put most of Jan`s thief skills as Hide in Shadows/MOve Silently I guess [img]smile.gif[/img]