Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2001, 01:32 AM   #11
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Wow, this is a very profound thread. It definitely make you think. I agree with many others here, we need to be reminded of the simple things in life. We take much for granted (like dry shoes, sorry long story, maybe if people become curious I'll speak...)

I would also like to say that you are all great here, this is one of my favorite places to be, on the net or off.

Congrats Rudedawg for making Lord Ao!

-Jafin

[This message has been edited by Jafin (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 01:39 AM   #12
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Withdraw now from the invisible pounding and weaving of your ingrained ideas. If you want to be rid of this invisible turmoil, you must just sit through it and let go of everything. Attain fulfillment and illuminate thoroughly. Light and shadow altogether forgotten. Drop off your own skin, and the sense-dusts will be fully purified. The eye then readily discerns the brightness.
- Hongzhi Zhengjue (1091–1157)

------------------
Old 06-11-2001, 03:41 AM   #13
Drake
Baaz Draconian

wow this makes for a great read. I realy like Chareans A MASTERFUL ILLUSTRATION the best but there all good.

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj
Old 06-11-2001, 07:14 AM   #14
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Wonderful Thread!
Keep them coming folks.

------------------
Old 06-11-2001, 03:29 PM   #15
Charean
Hathor

http://www.cs.sfu.ca/people/Research...itle_Page.html

A really good Zen story... 10 steps to enlightenment

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-11-2001, 03:40 PM   #16
Charean
Hathor

After winning several archery contests, the young and rather boastful champion challenged a Zen master who was renowned for his skill as an archer. The young man demonstrated remarkable technical proficiency when he hit a distant bull's eye on his first try, and then split that arrow with his second shot. "There," he said to the old man, "see if you can match that!" Undisturbed, the master did not draw his bow, but rather motioned for the young archer to follow him up the mountain. Curious about the old fellow's intentions, the champion followed him high into the mountain until they reached a deep chasm spanned by a rather flimsy and shaky log. Calmly stepping out onto the middle of the unsteady and certainly perilous bridge, the old master picked a far away tree as a target, drew his bow, and fired a clean, direct hit. "Now it is your turn," he said as he gracefully stepped back onto the safe ground. Staring with terror into the seemingly bottomless and beckoning abyss, the young man could not force himself to step out onto the log, no less shoot at a target. "You have much skill with your bow," the master said, sensing his challenger's predicament, "but you have little skill with the mind that lets loose the shot."

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-11-2001, 03:41 PM   #17
Charean
Hathor

During a momentous battle, a Japanese general decided to attack even though his army was greatly outnumbered. He was confident they would win, but his men were filled with doubt. On the way to the battle, they stopped at a religious shrine. After praying with the men, the general took out a coin and said, "I shall now toss this coin. If it is heads, we shall win. If tails, we shall lose. Destiny will now reveal itself."

He threw the coin into the air and all watched intently as it landed. It was heads. The soldiers were so overjoyed and filled with confidence that they vigorously attacked the enemy and were victorious. After the battle, a lieutenant remarked to the general, "No one can change destiny."

"Quite right," the general replied as he showed the lieutenant the coin, which had heads on both sides.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-11-2001, 04:16 PM   #18
Charean
Hathor

Once upon a time there was a caravan leader. He went from country to country selling various good. His caravans uaually had at least 500 bullock carts.

On one of these trips his path led through a very thick forest. Before entering it, he called together all the members of the caravan. He warned them, "My friends, when you go through this forest be careful to avoid the poisonous trees, poisonous fruits, poisonous leaves, poisonous flowers and even poisonous honeycombs.

"Therefore, whatever you have not eaten before - whether a fruit, leaf, flower or anything else - must not be eaten without asking me first." They all said respectfully, "Yes sir."

There was a village in the forest. Just outside teh village stood a tree called a 'whatnot tree'. Its trunk, branches, leaves, flowers and fruits look very similar to a mango tree. Even the colour, shape, smell and taste are almost exactly the same as a mango tree. But unlike a mango, the whatnot fruit is a deadly poison!

Some went ahead of the caravan and came upon the whatnot tree. They were all hungry, and the whatnot fruits looked like delicious ripe mangos. Some started eating the fruits immediately, without thinking at all. They devoured them before anyone could say a word.

Others remembered the leader's warning, but they thought this was just a different variety of mango tree. They thought they were lucky to find ripe mangos right next to a village. So they decided to eat some of the fruits before they were all gone.

There were also some who were wise that the rest. They decided it would be safer to obey the warning of the caravan leader. Although they didn't know it, he just happened to be the Enlightenment Being.

When the leader arrived at the tree, the ones who had been careful and noot eaten asked, "Sir, what is this tree? Is it safe to eat these fruits?"

After investigating thoughtfully he replied, "No no. This may look like a mango tree, but is isn't. It is a poisonous whatnot tree. Don't even touch it!"

The ones who already eaten the whatnot fruit were terrified. The caravan leader told them to make themselves vomit as soon as possible. They did this, and then were given four sweet foods to eat - raisins, cane sugar paste, sweet yogurt and bee's honey. In this way thier taste buds were refreshed after throwing up the poisonous whatnot fruit.

Unfortunately, the greediest and most foolish ones could not be saved. They were the ones who had started eating the poisonous fruit immediately, without thinking at all. It was too late for them. The poison had already started doing its work, and it killed them.

In the past, when caravans had come to the whatnot tree, the people had eaten its poisonous fruits and died in their sleep during the night. The next morning the local villagers had come to the campsite. They had grabbed the dead bodies by the legs, dragged them to a secret hiding place, and buried them. Then they had taken for themselves all the merchandise and bullock carts of the caravan.

They expected to do the same thing this time. At dawn the next morning the villagers ran towards the whatnot ree. They said to each other, "The bullocks will be mine!" "I want the carts and wagons!" "I will take the loads of merchandise!"

But when they got to the whatnot tree they saw that most of the people in the caravan were alive and well. In surprise, they asked them, "How did you know this was not a mango tree?" They answered, "We did not know, but our leader had warned us head of time, and when he saw it he knew."

Then the villagers asked the caravan leader, "Oh wise one, how did you know this was not a mango tree?"

He replied, "I knew it for two reasons. First, this tree is easy to climb. And second, it is right next to a village. If the fruits on such a tree remain unpicked, they cannot be safe to eat!"

Everyone was amazed that such lifesaving wisdom was base on such simple common sense. The caravan continued on its way safely.

The moral is: The wise are led by common sense; fools follow only hunger.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Old 06-11-2001, 07:11 PM   #19
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
[, "The pain of life is pure salt; no more, no less. The amount of pain in life remains the exactly the same.
However, the amount of bitterness we taste depends on the container we put
the pain in. So when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to
enlarge your sense of things . . . Stop being a glass. Become a lake."
[/B]
Ohhhhhh, yes. Excellent, Charean. I like that VERY much.

------------------

Old 06-11-2001, 07:30 PM   #20
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:

He replied, "I knew it for two reasons. First, this tree is easy to climb. And second, it is right next to a village. If the fruits on such a tree remain unpicked, they cannot be safe to eat!"

Everyone was amazed that such lifesaving wisdom was base on such simple common sense. The caravan continued on its way safely.

The moral is: The wise are led by common sense; fools follow only hunger.
YES!! A plug for COMMON SENSE! And in a philosphical thread, too!!

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE this thread! Best one we have had since I became a member!

------------------