Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2002, 01:38 PM   #11
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_M:
Donut...Explain the offside rule, i know it but i want everyone to get confuised
Okaaaay!

An offence when a player in an offside position receives a pass from a teammate; an indirect free kick is awarded to the non-offending team. Offside is defined as occurring at the moment the ball is played by one of the attacking players to a teammate. A player is in an offside position if he/she is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than the ball, unless: (a) the player is in his/her own half of the field, or (b) there are at least two opponents (one may be the goalkeeper) nearer the goal line than the player.

A player is penalized if he/she is in an offside position AND if, in the judgment of the referee, the player is: (a) interfering with play or with an opponent, or (b) seeking to gain an advantage by being in that position.

A player is not declared offside (a) merely by being in an offside position; (b) if they receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a corner kick, a throw in, or a drop ball; or (c) if the ball is last played by an opposing player.

Clear enough?
[/QUOTE]Excellent explanation, Donut. But I am German and must therefore beg for your forgiveness for I cannot help it [img]tongue.gif[/img] . To reflect the rule change of a couple of years ago the last lines of the your first paragraph should read as follows: "or b) there are at least two opponents (one may be the goalkeeper) nearer or at the same distance to the goal line than the player."

Again, I am very sorry, but it is truly genetically predetermined - and the very reason why we know how to build great cars and machines while at the same time being extremely unpopular. *sigh* [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-06-2002, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Ramon de Ramon y Ramon ]
Old 06-06-2002, 02:45 PM   #12
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

All my life I've watched this game..all my life, and in one bloody post!!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 03:18 PM   #13
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Why not just kick your opponent with your boots hard as you can and knock him out of the game. All that happens is you receive a yellow card and keep going???
Offsides seems a little wierd, if you can run with the ball faster then he can why not let him?
And finally, from what I can tell I would rather recieve a "head" than give one...why all the excitment there????
Old 06-06-2002, 04:31 PM   #14
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Offside rule - that's easy Daniel - if your lining up for a scrimmage and everyone is down for the snap and the someone is drawn into the neutral zone too early - well that's offside
I thought the neutral zone was a plot device used by the writers of Star Trek:The Next Generation to get the Romulans involved. Thanks for explaining

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-06-2002, 04:39 PM   #15
Legolas
Jack Burton

Hmm.. this is all very well and all, but what I want to know is WHY these people have run all over the pitch on football boots?

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 06-06-2002, 05:08 PM   #16
Mellagar

Well I suppose if some football fanatic ever pulls me into a dark alley, puts a gun to my head and asks me what a 'man-to-man' is or he'll pull the trigger, I'll live to see another day. If I were a fan of football I'd be elated, estatic, or whatever you call it by this description of the game. However, a cook book recipe for making Swedish Meatloaf has about as much a profound impact as this.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:46 PM   #17
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Offside rule - that's easy Daniel - if your lining up for a scrimmage and everyone is down for the snap and the someone is drawn into the neutral zone too early - well that's offside
I thought the neutral zone was a plot device used by the writers of Star Trek:The Next Generation to get the Romulans involved. Thanks for explaining [/QUOTE]Always glad to be of assistance in widening your knowledge base - that's what friends are for
Old 06-06-2002, 07:39 PM   #18
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Hmm.. this is all very well and all, but what I want to know is WHY these people have run all over the pitch on football boots?
It's cool if you want to call them boots, but they are really not. I will pretent they are boots if you want but thats the last thing I would wear if I was playing soccer.
Since its running, running, running everywhere. I would wear top of the line nikes made for speed first and then kicking something second.(Legs.. [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Legolas, As far as I see its been only myself to comment on boots so far so you must mean me, myself, and I.
Boots to me are made of leather, go up your leg for 4-20 inches, depending on what type you buy, lace up and prevent agile movements such as cut backs, steals, and dribbling moves.

Offsides keeps the scores lower and this is the purpose of it right? I don't know, thanks Donut for trying to help Americans to understand correct terminology.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:48 PM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:
Well I suppose if some football fanatic ever pulls me into a dark alley, puts a gun to my head and asks me what a 'man-to-man' is or he'll pull the trigger, I'll live to see another day. If I were a fan of football I'd be elated, estatic, or whatever you call it by this description of the game. However, a cook book recipe for making Swedish Meatloaf has about as much a profound impact as this.
Mmmmm. It's not meant to be profound Mellagar - it's meant to be funny! Obviously I've failed!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #20
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Excellent explanation, Donut. But I am German and must therefore beg for your forgiveness for I cannot help it [img]tongue.gif[/img] . To reflect the rule change of a couple of years ago the last lines of the your first paragraph should read as follows: "or b) there are at least two opponents (one may be the goalkeeper) nearer or at the same distance to the goal line than the player."

Again, I am very sorry, but it is truly genetically predetermined - and the very reason why we know how to build great cars and machines while at the same time being extremely unpopular. *sigh* [img]smile.gif[/img]
LOL Ramon (or Ramon or Ramon), I must bow to the tuetonic drive for perfection. You are quite correct. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show