Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
Neb
Account deleted by Request

That stuff's made using the Warcraft III engine, I saw it myself after beating the game on hard.

And they would NOT use the WCIII engine for SC2. I do NOT believe that.

Anyway, I've heard somewhere that Blizzard wasn't going to make an SC2 at all.....
Old 07-20-2002, 01:44 PM   #12
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Mandorallen:
KICK @$$!!!!!!! MY FAVORITE RTS FINNALY HAS A SEQUAL!!!!!!

God! I've been waiting for this damn game ever since I beat Brood War. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

I want it now!!!! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

That is, IF it will really come out.....

It sure as hell better.....
Me too! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

The only worry I have is that fact that it is obviously a 3D RTS. rather than the original, which was 2D. So far all the 3D RTS's haven't done that well. Example, the new Dune and Dark Reign 2, etc.

Old 07-20-2002, 01:49 PM   #13
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Dune was a little dissapointing, I have Dark Reign but I never got any of the others.

I thought Earth 2150 was a very well done game. Homeworld and Homeworld Cataclysm are two of my more favorite games, and all of those are 3d.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:53 PM   #14
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Mandorallen:
Dune was a little dissapointing, I have Dark Reign but I never got any of the others.

I thought Earth 2150 was a very well done game. Homeworld and Homeworld Cataclysm are two of my more favorite games, and all of those are 3d.
Homeworld and cataclysm are excellent, but only because they are different, in that they allow full 3D. What I mean is games that are 2D based but with 3D graphics. Sorry I've probably confused you.

Old 07-20-2002, 01:56 PM   #15
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I don`t belive this before i se it on Blizzard`s homepage but if it is true then this will be the DARNNNNNNNNN GREAT!!!!!! One of the best RTS games in the history!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-20-2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-20-2002, 02:36 PM   #16
andrewas
Harper

Re-using engines is becoming more popular these days, given the cost of developing a new one. If Carmack re-uses QIII to make RtCW, then Blizzard can use WC3 to make SC2. Hey, they used WC2 to make SC in the first place. Of course this being blizzard there should be substantial enhancements to the engine, but using it as a base would make a lot of sense.

@Deathbringer : Warzone 2100. Excellent game, mostly 2d with 3d graphics. Ever play it? You should cos its a)cheap and b)excellent.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:40 PM   #17
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Re-using engines is becoming more popular these days, given the cost of developing a new one. If Carmack re-uses QIII to make RtCW, then Blizzard can use WC3 to make SC2. Hey, they used WC2 to make SC in the first place. Of course this being blizzard there should be substantial enhancements to the engine, but using it as a base would make a lot of sense.

@Deathbringer : Warzone 2100. Excellent game, mostly 2d with 3d graphics. Ever play it? You should cos its a)cheap and b)excellent.
SC using the WC2 engine was the first and only time that Blizzard has ever re-used an engine, and even then it looked to me that it suffered some major changes. Like raised ground being implemented and sea units being removed. So I doubt that they'll use the same engine again.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:41 PM   #18
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:

c) your not getting my point! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not saying 3D RTS's are bad, I'm saying they don't sell as well.

[ 07-20-2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

Old 07-20-2002, 03:56 PM   #19
andrewas
Harper

Neb, givent he amount of time they took to make WC3 I dont want to wait 4 years for SC2 just so they can have a new engine. It would be a waste anyway, Who cares what the underlying engine is? The game is what counts and if re-using the engine results in a better game in less time they should go for it.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #20
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathbringer:
I'm not saying 3D RTS's are bad, I'm saying they don't sell as well.
Because they are too complicated and they eat your babies,
Thing is, many people seem to prefer a “cosy” 2d or 2d style game,
to a really complicated and sophisticated 3d one.

[ 07-20-2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Dramnek_Ulk ]