Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2001, 06:31 PM   #11
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulfere:
Spoiler......
.Ok...Well I've tried all the exits in the outdoor area of Wyrm's Tooth.
The sub map you are talking about is accessed through the passage North East
of the temple with the frozen exhibits. This sub-map has three cave entrances and one trail that leads to the world map. The northern cave leads to the interior of Wrym's Tooth. The eastern cave leads into the last levels of Dorn's Deep and the western door leads back to the exterior of Wyrm's Tooth. I could find no locked gate anyplace. Unless you are talking about the gate inside of the temple. The circular room with a locked portcullis and two doors on either side of this. There are three doors in the bottom of this room but all lead out to the exterior map of Wyrm's Tooth. Have you taken or cheated the Frost Salamanders leader out of his key and freed the slaves? Have you fought the Frost Giants across the bridge? Unfortunately I have had no trouble with any of these areas in the game. Have you installed the HoW patch as well? Wish I could be more help.

You seem to have the correct area. It is the 'cave' door on the right that causes the crash.
The one at the north and left of the map is locked. I have no key for it. Yes, I have freed the slaves and killed the frost giants and picked up the key from the Salamanders, but that frees the slaves, and doesn't affect the gate. I thought I needed to go through the exit that crashes to get the key for that. Did you find a key for it somewhere else?
I had those problems before I installed HOW, and have now started a new game in hope that HOW will fix it. I have not installed the HOW patch. P'raps I should...!
Anyway, your efforts on my behalf are much appreciated. Thanks And any further advice is very welcome

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 08:01 PM   #12
Axterix
Manshoon

No, that key effects that gate. In the room leading to the place where the slaves are hiding is a locked door. That door and the one in the small map are the same. That's the door through which the slaves wish to escape. Too scared to just walk outdoors, even if you have killed all the trolls and yetis.
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 08:28 PM   #13
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Spoiler...
I told the Frost Salamanders leader (Kerish? A pun on Waco Texas?)that I would kill Gereth and he gave me the key. I then went down and gave the key to Gereth and went into that round room.
There were Frost Salamanders there and Ice Trolls. They told me I had betrayed them and I killed them off then opened the gate. I Then went back inside through the main door and slaughtered the rest of the Frosty critters. I do not recall if I used the key or had to pick the lock...but it seems that the door just opened for me when I clicked on it. Do you have the Key in a players inventory...not in a gem bag? The keys have to be in a characters root directory in order to work. Are the slaves still there? Did you find the woman who started the rebellion and tell her about the slaves? I have not fought the Frost Giants, but the way into Lower Dorn's Deep is working for me. The key you get from Kerish is the one for the portcullis and that is the passage that exits the north west cavern. The cavern entrance to the right is the one you need to get through.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 05-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 05-14-2001).]
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 04:04 AM   #14
Fljotsdale

Yeah, I had done all that, Wolfere. Not sure where I had the key, though. Will the exit on the right not work until I have entered the locked gate? (portcullis, or whatever)? Could that be why the game kept crashing? Seems a bit odd, if so...

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-15-2001, 04:52 AM   #15
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Yeah, I had done all that, Wolfere. Not sure where I had the key, though. Will the exit on the right not work until I have entered the locked gate? (portcullis, or whatever)? Could that be why the game kept crashing? Seems a bit odd, if so...

Fljotsdale this is the entrance to lower Dorn's Deep, which is where the Uk version crashes. You must have installed the patch to avoid this. If you have and you are still having problems, I believe Charlie had a similar experience and had to be given a file by someone else to replace the one in the game, which comes corrupted on the english install. There is a Uk specific patch for IWD as well as the 1.06 one so try install that.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger
Old 05-15-2001, 07:18 AM   #16
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I think that you have done about all you can do. Sir Tainly probably has your answer. The entrance to Lower dorn should work wether you have the key or not I should think. I was just trying to run down everything that might be a problem.
Hopefully you can get that file if it happens to you again, with luck though HoW and the patch will fix it before file swapping becomes necessary.
The US/UK patch is here...
http://www.interplay.com/icewind/

------------------
Old 05-15-2001, 07:45 AM   #17
Sir_Tainly

If you have trouble finding the UK only patch I can make it available briefly on my website. Just email me. It might not work now that you have visited the location as the infinity games work by overriding the game's default settings by placing files in the override. However onc eyou have visited a location and saved after visiting the game take the data from the save not from the override files.

------------------

Old 05-15-2001, 05:57 PM   #18
Fljotsdale

Thanks all of you! You have been very helpful
I have found the location of the UK specific patch on the Interplay site (thanks Wufere!) in Icewind Troubleshooting faq's.
But can I download the damn thing? Can I heck! First attempt: got to 600+ kb and it 'timed out'. Second attempt got to 1.34mb and the server shut me off. Third attempt and my younger daughter phoned me using a mobile phone and I got cut off by it (mobiles do that, damn them!) at 1.46mb. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
Do any of you know how big the patch is? The site doesn't say and the download panel says 'unknown'.
I begin to think I am jinxed

------------------

Fljotsdale
Old 05-16-2001, 04:38 AM   #19
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Thanks all of you! You have been very helpful
I have found the location of the UK specific patch on the Interplay site (thanks Wufere!) in Icewind Troubleshooting faq's.
But can I download the damn thing? Can I heck! First attempt: got to 600+ kb and it 'timed out'. Second attempt got to 1.34mb and the server shut me off. Third attempt and my younger daughter phoned me using a mobile phone and I got cut off by it (mobiles do that, damn them!) at 1.46mb. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
Do any of you know how big the patch is? The site doesn't say and the download panel says 'unknown'.
I begin to think I am jinxed

it is quite big if you get a download manager like gozilla you can resume downloads that get broken half way through. Thus you don't need to redownload the first bit again. Gozilla is at http://www.gozilla.com/

------------------

Old 05-16-2001, 07:21 AM   #20
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

The patch is 4.8mb...kinda chunky. Hopefully after getting Go!Zilla you can complete the download. I might point out that I downloaded and installed Go!Zilla and found I could no longer use netscape to connet to the internet.
Perhaps Netscapes SmartDownload would be a better choice for me.
http://home.netscape.com/download/sm....html?cp=djuc4

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 05-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wulfere (edited 05-16-2001).]