Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: which girl name do you like best?
Ember Anne 18 36.73%
Kimber Leah (pronounced "lee") 31 63.27%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2003, 05:32 PM   #11
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagramore:
congrats on your almost baby Rev...i hope you have a nice time with nathan/kimber lee
Yes, congratulations on the baby [img]smile.gif[/img] . I like the name Kimber Leah better, and I liked it better pronounced as 'LEE.' However, if you are going to have it as Kimber Leah, and pronounce it as lee, why not name her Kimberly? Kids often call a girl named Kimberly as 'Kim' for short. Kimberly also seems easier to recognize its pronounciation to me. Just my opinion though

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 11-07-2003, 09:06 PM   #12
wellard
Dracolisk

Rather than argue over the spelling / saying which can not be good, how about another name all together?

Heather
Mysti
Donut
Holly

BTW Kimberly is popular down here [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-07-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
RitingFool
The Magister

Spelling "Kimberly" as "Kimber Lee" or "Kimber Leigh" looks and/or sounds like a bad pun. Almost like a play on words. Why not just spell it "Kimberly"?

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #14
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by RitingFool:
Spelling "Kimberly" as "Kimber Lee" or "Kimber Leigh" looks and/or sounds like a bad pun. Almost like a play on words. Why not just spell it "Kimberly"?

Regards,
Michael
I was thinking the exact same thing. It would be like calling you Mike Uhl or something [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 06:30 AM   #15
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

because her first name would be kimber. most ppl would see her name as kimber l. morgan. lee/leigh/leah would be a middle name. she would hear it as often as she gets in trouble, just like the rest of the kids. most of the time they are justice or justi, but in trouble she is justice dawn, and erilyn becomes erilyn may. perhaps i skipped looking at a few places where those answering are from, but here, in the states it is common to give a first and middle name.

for example i am christi michelle, and my husband is nathan william. i would not mind the spelling of leah, if nathan wanted to pronounce it "lee-ah" but he refuses. he also refuses to remember that i allowed him to change the planned spelling for erilyn may's name. she was going to be erilyn mae. so in fact he owes me the ability to spell "lee" the way i wish. but as i said he refuses to recall that i had a different spelling planned. even tho if i could get to my hard drive i could easily prove it, but then again if i could get to my hard drive i could easily prove a lot [img]tongue.gif[/img]

anyway that is why she would not be kimberly. kimberly is a whole first name by itself.

where as if y'all's would vote for ember anne then maybe i wouldn't have to worry y'all's with the intricacies of child naming.

EDIT:boy for a bunch of ppl form the states (one from australia) y'all really don't seem to get the two name thing...weird.

[ 11-08-2003, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: RevRuby ]
Old 11-08-2003, 09:52 AM   #16
RitingFool
The Magister

RevRuby:

I get the two name thing fine. It's just that a first name of "Kimber" is very awkward. I don't know where you're from, but here in the States, everyone would think Kimber is short for Kimberly. And here in the States, I think a majority of people only go by their first names, although there are many exceptions. But having such a name as Kimber Leigh (for example) would cause the kid/person all kinds of problems - when you'd go to spell it after hearing it, they'd automatically write "Kimberly".

Just my thoughts!

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-08-2003, 10:19 AM   #17
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
RevRuby:

I get the two name thing fine. It's just that a first name of "Kimber" is very awkward. I don't know where you're from, but here in the States, everyone would think Kimber is short for Kimberly. And here in the States, I think a majority of people only go by their first names, although there are many exceptions. But having such a name as Kimber Leigh (for example) would cause the kid/person all kinds of problems - when you'd go to spell it after hearing it, they'd automatically write "Kimberly".

Just my thoughts!

Regards,
Michael
I agree, you'd probably scar the poor kid for life...
Sorry for being blunt, but if you want my honest opinion, it's the kind of name that makes people wonder why parents could be so cruel - as it *does* sound like a terrible pun.
And out of curiosity, is "Kimber" on its own ever even used as an official first name in the US, apart from an abbreviation of Kimberly? I know it's a common surname, but so is Smith; and I can't see how anyone would use that as a first name either.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #18
RitingFool
The Magister

No, I've never heard Kimber used as an actual, legal first name for anyone!

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-08-2003, 03:39 PM   #19
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
RevRuby:

Just my thoughts!

Regards,
Michael
Yes I have to agree. As someone with a relatively common name which a lot of people misspell, I know how annoying it to have to keep correctly people or seeing your name misspelled, so it would be much worse for Kimber Leigh. With a name you've basically made up yourself, you're setting your child up to have her name misspelled and misunderstood. Now of course, having to correct people on your name isn't the biggest problem ever, but a name that you love may come to be one she hates because all her little friends Kate and Sarah and Lucy never have to worry about people misspelling or making fun of their names.

It kind of sounds a bit weird together as well, IMHO. Kimberly is a name I've heard frequently, so when I say Kimber Leigh, with a pause in the middle just sounds a bit awkward, like I'm stumbling over Kimberly rather than saying a 'different' name [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
but a name that you love may come to be one she hates because all her little friends Kate and Sarah and Lucy never have to worry about people misspelling or making fun of their names.
Bad example - Sarah *is* my name and people often spell it without an 'h' on the end. But when I tried saying "Sarah with an h", lots of people actually managed to put that down as "Sahra" or similar nonsense, LOL!
But I get your point and I agree with it

I also get the double names deal, but that'd mean that the name the girl would be called by would be Kimber - well, I think that's pretty ugly.
Of course, it doesn't matter in any way what *I* think of the name as long as you (the parents) like it, I know that! [img]smile.gif[/img] But since you asked for opinions, I don't really like Kimber and FWIW, I also think you're right it's silly to pronounce Leah as "lee". The Lee/Leigh ending as such is quite OK, reminds me of E.A. Poe's poem Annabel Lee - lovely poem, lovely name. [img]smile.gif[/img] But Ember (or Amber, which I prefer) sounds nicer than Kimber, IMHO, and Anne is OK too, hough I much prefer Anna. Just my 2c, hope you'll manage to find a name you both like! Maybe it's worth considering to go for a completely different third name, if you cannot agree on names 1 and 2. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-08-2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]