Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2001, 09:15 AM   #11
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Facinating!!!

There is always so much to be learned! So perhaps Shakespeare wasn't completely correct when he wrote: "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

I'm really enjoying learning the nemstory* of the handles used here! Hope many more will share their stories too!

Wyv

*nem is an androgenous pronoun which I coined/created for the rpg I wrote - it can mean male or female or both - sometimes gender isn't important!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 02:45 PM   #12
Gray1

Compared to the imaginative folks who have already posted mine is too simple. After playing RPCs for years as Silent, I looked in the mirror one day and realized I had a new handle whether I wanted it or not. So When the hair went gray I wanted to identify with it...hence Gray1. I couldn't think of a way to use 'a gray one' or 'gray one' so the number was the answer. p.s. I played the original Wizardry games back when graphics were a picture in a box in the upper left and your maps were drawn by hand.
Old 01-04-2001, 02:49 PM   #13
Efreeti_Genie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I did promise Wyvern that I would post here (just never said when ). So here I go. Any of you who have played BG2 (not BG, it doesn't appear in BG) there were genies that could be summoned from the elemental plane of fire. If you look in the manual for Efreeti, that is what I just described. Now, Wyvern asked why not just Djinni (not exactly, but I knew what he meant). I told him, a genie from the elemental plane of air isn't all that great (not in those exact words either ) Well, I guess to make it sound good, I added Genie to the end. Just Efreeti didn't sound good, and I couldn't think of anything else at the time (since I had a question I didn't want to forget ) I have had numerous other nicknames, like DrowSlayer, Nanobyte, and my current email Inner*Residence. I could actually only give a brief history on one (since Nanobyte and Inner*Residence came off the top of my head). Drow are evil elves (as I am sure most of you know) and putting Slayer at the end could mean two things. One Drow & Slayer (as in the creature that your main character turns into once your soul is taken in BG2), or just plain DrowSlayer (as in kills Drow). Nanobyte and Inner*Residence just sound cool, that is about the only reason I can give for that one. Now I could make a nick like Wolfwere_Beefcake
Efreeti_Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 03:47 PM   #14
ozzbod

Efreeti, there is a 3 book series called Rose of the Prophet (by Hickman in conjunction with another author from memory, a few years on now), that gives a good account of Efreeti, Djinn and another deity, similar to that described by our esteemed collegue Esquire Balgin the Dwarf, in your discussion tread with Wyvern concerning Dragons v Wyvern. Not a bad read (easy) and noteworthy if so disposed.
Old 01-04-2001, 05:01 PM   #15
gaunty
The Magister

I made just made up a word "gauntlithium", but was told it was too long. No I do not care if the big word means any thing real bad. Gaunty is fine for now.
gaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 06:36 PM   #16
Lorelei

I chose Lorelei because I've always wanted to be a mermaid. Well, I love being in the water, and love singing (although unlike a proper siren's song, mine won't crash ships). And, rather oddly for a water baby, I hate seafood of any sort. I've also gone by Alicat, and, back in my teenybopper years, as Lady Godiva on my brother's bbs.
Old 01-04-2001, 06:47 PM   #17
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Alicat/Lorelei - nice to see you posting again!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 07:29 PM   #18
adam mage

I chose omophagia because I like to eat
Old 01-04-2001, 07:55 PM   #19
Gefallen

I have used Gefallen for a long long time in near all my time online. I also date back to fast Compuserve 300 baud, and spent far too much money on the early Gemstone games

Gefallen is a german word for "to fall". However, to fall is Hindgefallen, so if you fell on your buttocks, Sie haben hindgefallen. Gefallen is a term for fallen in battle. It is a term reserved for soldiers and those fallen in the fields of blood and glory. I understand from a freind that this term was used a bit for honoring the SS and may have fallen (pardon the pun) from use and favor. And like Herr Gauleiter, I am not a NAZI.

As a noun, it would be Die Gefallenen, or the battles casualties, or the dead of the battle.

Gef
Old 01-05-2001, 12:44 AM   #20
Arno
Welcomed New User

I chose Arno 'cos Arnold Schwarzenegger is my hero!!!! Even though it was already taken by a river in Italy, so it wasn't *original*, I was really cheesed off when I saw Katherine Kerr had pinched it for one of her characters. (Can't remember which book - it wasn't the Daggerspell series.)

Happy New Year/ New Millennium everyone

Arno.
Arno is offline   Reply With Quote