Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2002, 09:05 AM   #11
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Why do you think the ECL 2 makes a drow an unplayable character?

And if I remember right, IWD2 is scrapping the progressive point buy system and going with this: start with 10's in all stats and buy stats on a 1-for-1 point system - then apply racial modifiers. I'm not exactly sure how its going to work in NWN but it wouldn't surprise me if something like became an option for NWN.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #12
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Katherine, do you knoow what the single player game will require?
Sorry, I don't. I think 30, but I don't know for sure. The server system I'm going to play on is 28, I believe.

I really hate this point buy system thing! Still, it does act as an equalizer, which can be good.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:49 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Why do you think the ECL 2 makes a drow an unplayable character?

And if I remember right, IWD2 is scrapping the progressive point buy system and going with this: start with 10's in all stats and buy stats on a 1-for-1 point system - then apply racial modifiers. I'm not exactly sure how its going to work in NWN but it wouldn't surprise me if something like became an option for NWN.
Not ME , but BioWare Micah.
The ECL means that Drow are in themslef without a class like a level 2 character already with the racial benefits they get.. Spellresistence, darkvision 120 feet and all that..

IWD 2 will probably be a bit more like the old IWD I guess, haven´t read too much about it yet.

There are options for the single player version or the DM guided sessions on closed servers, but to which extent I don´t know yet but the restrictions of the clsses will be the playable ones from Players Handbook. Dwarf, Human, Gnome, Elf, Halfling, Halforc and halfelf.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #14
Micah Foehammer

Ah thanks for the explaination Wolfgir! [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 04-25-2002, 10:38 AM   #15
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
Ah thanks for the explaination Wolfgir! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Your welcome!
Sorry for typos and brief texts but busy at work here LOL!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:42 AM   #16
Micah Foehammer

LOL no problem. I'm hard at work as well ... *cough*

typos?? what typos? typos require no explaination (tongue set FIRMLY in cheek to quote one of the mods!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002, 01:37 PM   #17
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

So, Wolfie, we have
Saving-Grace:
STR-14 6 points
DEX-13 5
CON-14 6
INT-10 2
WIS-11 3
CHA-15 8
DEX-12 4
CON-14 6
INT-11 3
WIS-15 8
CHA-11 3

Correct?
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 03:57 PM   #18
DeSoya
Manshoon

Hokay then. Your point progressions are correct. Look in the front of the DMG (if you have one that is) for the table. I think it's page 20 or twenty something. My guess would be that the total points would be either 28 or _32_. If you go and look at the DMG point table (Now that I think of it, I believe that it's called the non-standard stat table or something like that) you'll see that there are a couple of point levels that the DM can choose based on the percieved power of the campaign. 28 pts is considered a medium level adventure setting while 32 is high power.

I personally like the point system. I've played with it quite a bit at local gaming conventions. I run a couple of Living Campaign characters and find that it evens things out and prevents cheating. The other upside to this is for those of you who have played in home games of D&D you know how lame it is to have a PC with really low stats while your friends are running around with super high powered characters (sorry 'bout the run-on sentance). Some see it as a role-playing challenge but most of us see it as an invitation for quick character death so we can roll up another character that might be a little more fun to play. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As to your two characters, Galadria, I would recommend that you bump your wisdom up to 16 and try to increase your charisma. The reasons are thus: When casting direct damage spells (not that a priest has that many) you figure out the save chance by adding your wisdom score (which at 15 would be plus 2) to the spells level and then adding ten to the whole shabang. An example would be the spell command, a first level (I think) spell that allows you to tell one creature to do one thing (such as die, which would make it fall over but not actually die). The save against your spell would be 13 with a 15 wis, or 14 with a 16 wis. Your charisma is important if you plan on fighting undead. Your turning ability is based on cha so there's all sorts of bonuses to having a good one. I think you get 3+ cha bonus turn chances a day. To facilitate this I would think about lowering my con score. Priests get a good amount of HP anyway and hopefully you won't have to be beating on anything in the front line. Esp. if you are an elf. Bows are cool. : )

Your paladin looks pretty good statwise. What feats are you thinking of taking? (although... If you wanna be a save hog you might consider raising that charisma again)

I hope I don't sound too much like a condesending pile of poo. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Feel free to flame me or ask questions if I'm too confusing.
anecdoteman1@yahoo.com

DeSoya
Old 04-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #19
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Not at all Desoya, this is the kind of help I was looking for. After all, the first time anybody plays a game they make newbie mistakes that later on make you smack your forehead and think, "Why did I do that?" and this is what I am trying to avoid.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 03:17 PM   #20
Madriver
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Aar-Daneel, I hope that you are right. 30 would be a LOT better than 28. Your manners are lovely. I shall look forward to playing NWN with you.
Encard, it took time for me to get it, too, but if you have played PS: T, you'll get the idea. Instead of adding points to your stats numerically, you have to "Buy" higher scores. You will be given 28 (or, hopefully 30) points to expend on your character's stats. So, it doesn't just take 1 point to move from 17 to 18, it takes 3! That's why it is so imporant to get everything as high as you can at the start, because you get 1 point more per 4 levels that you gain. That is why I have been feverishly trying to finagle all the 'crucial' scores high, but not too high. There are penalties attached to having too low an INT or WIS, unlike BG and BGII, where a fighter could merely disregard them.
I actually like the point buy system, it means I won't be rolling for hours to try and get nice stats for my starting character.
Galadria, I think you might be confused from reading the above, correct me if I'm wrong. The points you get from gaining 4 levels are not the same as the starting ones. So when my character gets to 4th level he can use the one ability point to go from 17 to 18 strength...it doesn't take multiple ones...he doesn't have to save for 12 levels.

I'd buff up your wisdom some more and don't worry too much about the dex...the cleric will be wearing armor after all.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote