Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2001, 10:37 AM   #11
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
ShadowStrider,

This thread backs up what I was stating and I would thank you not to dispute it any further or continue posting here if you think it is so irrelevant.

Click on the link and read the information for yourself.

I am not going to fight with you about this either, its moronic to try and take someone's attempt to honestly give people helpful advice and make it into something ugly.

I Really Do Care,
Moni

That's fine and good, but you claimed Kiwidoc "ATTACKED" you. Remove that part and we have no qualms. Otherwise I will continue to make it "ugly" because you're insulting someone.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:38 AM   #12
bilqis2
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
You are right, if a person can save themselves a lifelong crutch of being on medications, what better solution is there?
Lifelong crutch of medication eh? Hmmmmmm... perhaps I should stop taking my synthroid and see if I can find a diet that will replace the hormones my thyroid should be producing... hmmmmmmmm.. thought provoking. Of course, if no diet exists, I suppose I can just sleep my life away til my muscles, including my heart, stops functioning altogether. MUCH better than being dependent on a drug wouldn't you say?

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for Truth,
I am now looking for
a good fantasy.
(Yes, I AM at work now ~ hehe)
Old 06-21-2001, 10:39 AM   #13
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I cannot find the thread in question (PMS), was it deleted?
http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/No...ML/001929.html

there is your target.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:45 AM   #14
Moni

Bilqis,
I was repeating what Moridin said and agreeing with it.
I don't see you posting anything in response to his saying it to begin with and getting on his case for it!
Do your medications have anything to do with depression?
If not, your post was totally unnecssary and unfounded toward the content of this thread.

ShadowStrider,
My posts were attacked and I defended them with fact.

I Really Do Care
Moni

------------------

Old 06-21-2001, 10:45 AM   #15
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrider:
That's fine and good, but you claimed Kiwidoc "ATTACKED" you. Remove that part and we have no qualms. Otherwise I will continue to make it "ugly" because you're insulting someone.
Shadowstrider--

You may be trying to 'defend' Kiwidoc here, but why don't you let her do it herself!! Moni is not insulting Kiwidoc. She is defending her own position!

Do you have anything to add to this thread other than slanderous remarks? If not, then I suggest you find somewhere else to post!

------------------

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:47 AM   #16
Moni

Here you go ShadowStrider:
Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
Moni these are the quotes from your posts that led people to think you were opposed to the concept that some PMS and some forms of Depression are physical illnesses that require treatment rather than something the person can do for themselves. This implies that they COULD do it but didn't. I have also included the statements that led people to believe you were oppesed to the use of medication and to psychiatry in general.

If this is NOT what you meant to say, maybe you need to choose your words more carefully.

I do feel for women who can't (or won't try to) control what their bodies subject
Now, I just don't see where you can sit and coddle others over things that can be helped (like depression) with proper treatment. You're a professional aren't you?
Kiwidoc, I can appreciate that your profession requires people to remain mentally unstable but honestly, if there are no extenuating circumstances (i.e. painful or terminal medical conditions), is it really necessary for people to hold on to all the bad stuff that made them cry to begin with and carry it with them throughout their lives as a reason to remain miserable?

There are variables in how people allow themselves to react to emotional situations

Chemical medications aren't the answer. They may alleviate the symptoms and make everything seem better but they can cause adverse reactions and don't allow a brain to produce the right chemicals naturally. A person with positive effects from the drugs more than likely, will be taking them for the rest of their life.

It takes time and practice not to look at things from a negative point of view.
I believe enough in people to think that if I can do it, anyone can.

If someone is going to or has to keep themselves in an environment where there is constant negativity I can see how they could never be cured.

With the exception of people who have been conditioned to taking meds for the rest of their lives, I don't think anyone is out of reach of making life better.
It takes a personal commitment. People won't fix you for you, you have to want to be fixed

A psych ward is a pretty far cry from the outside ward where people who can pull themselves together really live. I did not say that everyone could be cured did I?

Well when it is all taken out of context and printed up that way, it would certainly appear that you are right!

If you read my words for what they are and in context with the rest of what I say, and in response to what was said to me, you might understand just how carefully my words were chosen.

My very first statement in this thread was If I may point this out:
With a proper diet and a check on hormone levels, women don't have to suffer as seriously as some do. It is not necessary for women to suffer this in extremes.

women don't have to suffer as seriously as some do. It is not necessary for women to suffer this in extremes

in extremes...that does not imply that women do not have to suffer at all.
The fact that I don't suffer often or severly does not imply that I think all women can live with the same pleasure I do in not having to suffer, merely that as I stated, they don't have to suffer as seriously as some do.
I repeat it is not necessary for women to suffer in extremes. That looks fairly clear to me if you read it for what it is and not for what you would want it to imply.

I do feel for women who can't (or won't try to) control what their bodies subject them to
I did clarify that my sister is one who choses not to...I seriously doubt that she is the only person in the world that doesn't. It is not like I don't have a valid example of that statement being truth. I also stated that some women CAN'T or did you not see that?
My honestly helpful solution in lessening the effects have been backed up by Moridin...I don't see you beating his words into the ground for stating the same truth that I did!

Now, I just don't see where you can sit and coddle others over things that can be helped (like depression) with proper treatment. You're a professional aren't you?
Kiwidoc, I can appreciate that your profession requires people to remain mentally unstable but honestly, if there are no extenuating circumstances (i.e. painful or terminal medical conditions), is it really necessary for people to hold on to all the bad stuff that made them cry to begin with and carry it with them throughout their lives as a reason to remain miserable?

This was a mistake made on my part that I will readily admit in that in re-reading posts, I thought it was you and not Reeka who had made a statement "
Same thing with depression, some people act like it is your fault." and "
You were right to point out that it is serious."

My apologies for that misunderstanding but how come you think I would be attacking your profession when I clearly stated I appreciate the job you do unless you didn't want to see that?!

There are variables in how people allow themselves to react to emotional situations
Its the truth. If you are a studied Psychologist, you would know this.
People choose to react on their emotions in many different ways...it is one of the aspects of being able to classify who is paranoid, who is schizophrenic, who is depressed, etc.
I understand Psychiatry and Psychology are two different fields but one is closely so related to the other that you should need to understand Psychology before you practice Psychiatry.

This statement was also made in defense of what I had tried to say in an effort to help to begin with.

If I wanted to attack your profession, I would say that Psychiatry is not even recognized as a medical science. Its truth, but I didn't say it did I?

Chemical medications aren't the answer. They may alleviate the symptoms and make everything seem better but they can cause adverse reactions and don't allow a brain to produce the right chemicals naturally. A person with positive effects from the drugs more than likely, will be taking them for the rest of their life.

Are you saying that all people on medications for depression should stay on medications all their life and live in a drug induced fantasy world when there are methods to mental health that can make the use of drugs unnecessary?

It takes time and practice not to look at things from a negative point of view.
I believe enough in people to think that if I can do it, anyone can.

Another truth in the first statement. Ask anyone who has applied the will to change and has succeeded.
Key words in my second sentence are believe and think...nowhere were the words I know for a fact mentioned. For that to have been implied was wishful thinking on your part, not mine.

If someone is going to or has to keep themselves in an environment where there is constant negativity I can see how they could never be cured.

Where is this an attack on you? It is fact...in a depressive environment a depressed person can hardly expect to be happy and remain so.

With the exception of people who have been conditioned to taking meds for the rest of their lives, I don't think anyone is out of reach of making life better.
It takes a personal commitment. People won't fix you for you, you have to want to be fixed

Again, a statement of truth....again I ask...where is this an attack on you or your profession? If the steps toward better mental health are going to a Psychiatrist, than all the more power to you for helping them...but how many people that you treat are sentenced to see you and how many come by choice?
Those that choose to are making an effort. There is nothing wrong with that is there? And in the end, is it you that heals people or do you help them to understand themselves better so that they can heal themselves? Do you go into their brains and change the chemical production? Do you make a change in their lifestyle? Their diet? You can only suggest these things if you think they are going to make a difference...it is up to your patients to do it for themselves.

A psych ward is a pretty far cry from the outside ward where people who can pull themselves together really live. I did not say that everyone could be cured did I?

This was made in a response to Bilqis who mentioned the severity of people in psych wards and had nothing to do with you personally. But do please, re-read the last line there: I did not say that everyone could be cured did I?

I would beg you to take a step back and see how wrong you have me.

I get really tired of having to repeat myself when people can't see that I am not attacking them but defending my views be they from experience or fact.

I am sorry you took this all so personally, I'll repeat before I leave, I really do care.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-21-2001, 10:50 AM   #17
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:

Do you have anything to add to this thread other than slanderous remarks? If not, then I suggest you find somewhere else to post!

Lol, I don't think he would mind though... IIRC, he once said he was posting on 60+ different messageboards...
Old 06-21-2001, 10:50 AM   #18
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

Laughable.

Where to begin? Let's start here:

Quote:
ShadowStrider,
My posts were attacked and I defended them with fact.
You attacked kiwidoc, as where at best she attacked your posts. The difference between her attacking YOU and her attacking your posts is like a river to an ocean.

Quote:
Shadowstrider--

You may be trying to 'defend' Kiwidoc here, but why don't you let her do it herself!! Moni is not insulting Kiwidoc. She is defending her own position!

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am defending kiwidoc because she is asleep about now. Moni is defending her position by insulting another, read the first paragraph.

I am not "slandering" Moni, I am saying she should NOT say kiwidoc attacked her, when, in fact, she did not. I am addig to this thread, I am helping to prevent a one person from insulting another.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:52 AM   #19
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Lol, I don't think he would mind though... IIRC, he once said he was posting on 60+ different messageboards...

Spur the charge good sir! Lead me into the front of this battle ;P
Old 06-21-2001, 10:54 AM   #20
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis2:
Lifelong crutch of medication eh? Hmmmmmm... perhaps I should stop taking my synthroid and see if I can find a diet that will replace the hormones my thyroid should be producing... hmmmmmmmm.. thought provoking. Of course, if no diet exists, I suppose I can just sleep my life away til my muscles, including my heart, stops functioning altogether. MUCH better than being dependent on a drug wouldn't you say?

I did say this first! And I did not mean it for anything outside of depression!!!! Please do not take my words and twist them. I know there are other medical conditions that are only managable by medications. However, with depression, there are alternatives!

Let me relate a story of mine....I have been seeing a therapist for 7 months now. When I went to my first therapist, they interviewed me for 15 minutes and then suggested I go on anti-depressants! The second one didn't even get that far! After 5 minutes his suggestion was anti-depressants (he went so far as to interrupt me while I was relating why I was there). Finally I found a therapist that was actually interested in treating the cause and not merely trying to cover it up so I could function! I am NOT attacking the profession and I do know that each case is unique, however I do see a growing trend of trying to fix everything with medication first and foremost and not even trying anything else! What is working for me finally, is exercise! It has the same affects as anti-depressant medication and guess what....it is free, I am getting healthier, and I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday!

------------------

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.