Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 01:48 PM   #11
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

I do find the elementals quite usefull. Not the lesser version. It is much better than summoning shadows / monsters. Another fav summon is Gate. prot from evil (radious) is quite common for my cleric so normally I do include in my buff. If the battle is not in my favour just pop one behind the enemy line and it will help me take out the wizards and other range enemies.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:05 AM   #12
jerloser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I like to summon one (two in huge battles) lvl 9 beast and place it in front of my party when the masses see it ,a gret area attack spell like fire ball or horrid wilting or my pesonal fav glyph of stunning so the fighters and rogue go to town in a hasted frenzy of beast disection (He HE He).Any more than that is just overkill.They are good for targets nothing more.

I got another question.Im about to start a HOF party and im not sure to try low or high level classes.What in your opinon is the "perfect" level?
jerloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:15 AM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by timberwolf:
I do find the elementals quite usefull. Not the lesser version. It is much better than summoning shadows / monsters. Another fav summon is Gate. prot from evil (radious) is quite common for my cleric so normally I do include in my buff. If the battle is not in my favour just pop one behind the enemy line and it will help me take out the wizards and other range enemies.
The thing is that you rest after each fight or so. While I only rest when I have used every chrgers in my magical items, potions, spells, and all my characters have 10 or so health left. So I can't memorise 20 protection from evil...

I rested 4-5 times max in total the first time I completed the game.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:43 AM   #14
jerloser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Onlt 4 or 5 !!!!! Damn,do you have to buy any healing,or just alot of items?
Old 11-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #15
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

resting less than 5 times and finishing the game is really amazing (my opinion) I don't usually rest after every fight. Normally it is my pally which cast the prot from evil. As compared to his other level 3 spells I find this is an useful addition. Normally memorized 2.

Well the reason I like it is that in HOF the lower level damaging spell are not as effective as poping in an elemental.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:51 PM   #16
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well Jer, a high-level party has a much better chance of survival than a low-level one. After all, the HOF gobbies are 100+ hitpoints (Orcs are 200+), and they will miss only on a one (very high to-hits).

Then again, you could tailor a party specifically for HOF; Jack of Speed has a thread where he details the group he put together for that. Mainly, everyone is a spellcaster (multi with something else), and he is relying heavily on summon spells.

The one advantage in starting low is you will gain levels very fast, though eventually the game catches up to you.

The disadvantage is you won't have much money, and Deirdre has some very nice items for sale.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #17
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Ya that part sucks... but there are a couple of low usuablility high value Items that you get from killing bosses early in the game that I plan to sell.

As for the game catching up to me... [img]smile.gif[/img] Animate Dead stops getting more powerful at level 10 now and I plan to level squat for awhile [img]smile.gif[/img]

Biggest problem is going to be the wharehouse. You cant bring summons through doors, and they have archers waiting for you... Any Ideas?
Old 11-09-2002, 08:28 PM   #18
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The summoned critters not following you inside is definitely a pain. Do you have imp invis yet? That can be handy here. Keep in mind that not everyone has to enter the warehouse at once. You can keep some people outside. So send in a couple of invis people, cast a couple of summons, then bring in the rest of the group.

Nightowl2

P.S. Be careful with level squatting with multiclass characters. When you finally do the level up, they get all the levels in one gulp. You won't be able to raise the different classes separately.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:05 PM   #19
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I was gonna squat right after giving them the fighter pally and theif level respectively.

Sounds like a good idea on the warehouse I'll give it a try... Dont know about invis yet though... Hmmm. Maybe just my sorc.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:56 AM   #20
jerloser
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So basiclly,Start a low lvl party for a challange and a high lvl for a nice fun chopfest.The reason i ask is becouse ive grown quite attacted to the party i have now so im thinking of just keeping the streak and Beating Isair and Madae twice with the same people.(Sounds pretty good huh?)But the prospect of making new partys is always fun too...
Ooohhh wooo is me.

And jack,You got a hell of a party there,And i agree with nightowl about the imp. invisablity.My sorc. makes the party inv. and summonds keep the beasties busy.