Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2001, 01:27 PM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Azure!
Good day to you! This one caught my eye! Did you know that one of my very first new nicknames was Storm Queen? (aka the Simbul) LOL

I hadn't read any of the Forgotten Realms works then, but our Memnoch decided to gift me with the name. So, curious as I am, I ordered lots of books! Have only met up with Alassra and Alustriel so far. I tend to like them both for different reasons.

Lynn Abbey's portrayal of Alassra Shenrantra is quite good. I find the Simbul to be human in her reactions to things, very willful, impetuous at times and a tad self-centered. She's definitely got that inner child thing going! Yet she has an obvious desire to be more open to other's needs in there too. Her devotion to Agalarond, while perhaps secondary to her hatred of Thay Red Wizards, is nonetheless commendable. But of course her very reason for taking such an active role against those wizards in the first place is a sad and thoroughly human story of lost love, a nice touch, in my estimation. The revenge aspect is neatly balanced by the poingnancy of a true love taken away.

Abbey also mangages to portray Alassra as a powerful woman who is, by virtue of her vocation and Mystra's attentions, placed in a lonely position, having few people with whom she can share her daily losses and triumphs.

What you get of Alustriel in "The Simbul's Gift" is minimal, but I liked what I saw. Regal, cool and cautious. All the things her sister, Alassra, is not! I put some of that down to the elven influence. Abbey very definitely makes that distinction between the two sisters. Alustriel is patient and thoughtful when faced with decisions, Alassra wants to rush in and deal with them immediately.

Still one more thing I liked here, was the obvious ties between the sisters. Despite the fact that their personalities are so different, they are family and know they can call on one another when help is needed. At one point the Storm Queen is in the middle of something very important to her, but her sister calls her true name and she drops what she's doing and goes to her sister. She's not happy about it, but she goes because it was her sister who called and thus it took precedence. That, for me, showed the measure of trust and family bonding that exists, at least for these two of the Seven Sisters.

Thank you, AzureWolf! I needed to do a little something for the Book forum and I think your thread just gave me a chance to thrash out a big part of it! I'll cut and paste this over there, I think!

Cloudbringer
Memny's Storm Queen of the Ironworks

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 11:22 PM   #12
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

wow big reply there cloudy I have not read the Simbuls gift sadly but I am always trying to find out more about the seven sisters as they are my fav charachters in forgotten realms even more so then drizzt! But Memnoch has said he will get me some books over in aus and post them to me here If you want to learn a bit more about the seven sisters read Silverfall. It IS written by Ed Greenwood BUT if you ignore the fact that they are naked all the time Then you learn a bit more about them, I pretty much ignored the storyline and was just interested about the background of the sisters in the book.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-14-2001, 01:02 AM   #13
BladeMaster

Yes the Seven Sisters are great. I don't care what people say about Ed Greenwood I like his books

------------------

Old 05-14-2001, 03:14 AM   #14
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Azurewolf are you from new zealand? you talk just like my cousins. "Sweet as mate thats HEAPS"

------------------
Welcome to hell.
Old 05-14-2001, 03:29 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
Yes the Seven Sisters are great. I don't care what people say about Ed Greenwood I like his books

Read my piece on Ed Greenwood in the Books Forum to find out how I feel about him.

------------------
Old 05-14-2001, 04:17 AM   #16
BladeMaster

I have Memnoch. And even though I agree on them I still like his books

------------------

Old 05-14-2001, 04:26 AM   #17
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
Azurewolf are you from new zealand? you talk just like my cousins. "Sweet as mate thats HEAPS"

I think that you are right - I have seen him post that he lives in New Zealand, but I can't remember where (maybe in the 'Polls' section ?).

Weird though, he also sounds like our dear Swedish Wolfie at times !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 05-14-2001, 05:59 AM   #18
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
I think that you are right - I have seen him post that he lives in New Zealand, but I can't remember where (maybe in the 'Polls' section ?).

Weird though, he also sounds like our dear Swedish Wolfie at times !

Yep I am from the old Island of NZ Is it that obvious????
And how do I sound like Wolfie? Its the first ive heard about it

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-14-2001, 08:03 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

WOW, that's an amazing book review Cloudless! Mind reviewing a few more and posting in the Books Forum?

------------------
Old 05-14-2001, 10:37 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just posting to let you know I haven't forgotten about this AzureWolf. Bit busy at work, so I won't be able to drop by the secondhand bookstore till Thursday evening (late night shopping).

But don't worry, I never forget.

------------------