Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 10:49 PM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I consider myself a semi-professional public speaker. That means I don't get paid exclusively for speaking, but do it often enough as a part of my job that I might as well be getting paid for it. This month, at three spearate technical user group meetings, I delivered three formal presentations, led two roundtable discussions, and emceed six other presentations. One of my heavier months, to be sure, but my record is around nine formal presentations along with the other stuff.

I've been speaking for a while, and one of the things I know is that I will always get nervous before a talk. I'm always concerned about how the presentation will come off, how effective it will be, and how well I've organized it. It's not about getting rid of the butterflies -- it's about getting them to fly in formation, acknowledging they're there but not letting them be in control.

The largest crowd I've spoken to was over 1,000. Not quite up to that 2500 that antryg mentioned -- I'm working on getting there [img]smile.gif[/img]

Almost six years ago, after having been speaking for a while and being used to getting in front of people to talk, I decided to get involved in Toastmasters. Toastmasters is the largest organization in the world dedicated to helping people communicate better, and I can tell you that in the last six years, I have improved tremendously as a speaker.

It's about more than getting over the fear; it's about making sure that after your presentation is over, people not only got something out of it, but that they want you to come back and talk some more. I've learned a lot of technical tidbits (in fact, I've got a draft book called "So You Want To Be A Presenter?"), and I've seen almost a thousand other presentations -- some good, some bad, and a lot in the middle. I've given almost a hundred presentations within Toastmasters as well -- some good, some bad, and a lot in the middle. I can tell you that the middle, though, has moved a lot toward "Good".

If you want to become a better speaker, Toastmasters is a great way to do it. There are almost 9,000 clubs around the world, and I belong to two of them. It's inexpensive (six months at my club is $40, compared to several hundred for a Dale Carnegie course), and you work at your own pace. You learn from others, and get lots of ideas on what's effective and not (and why, in both cases). And you can try it out as a guest to see what it's like, and if it turns out that it doesn't work for you, just skip paying your dues the next time they come due.

Gar... didn't realize this would sound so much like a commercial for Toastmasters (edit: or that it would be so long), but it is really a great program. And I get nothing financially from it, for the record, at least from Toastmasters. It has helped me out in other ways, but someone else pays me for those

If anyone has any questions about TM, feel free to contact me off-line. I feel strongly about it, and I'll leave it at that.

[ 03-27-2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:35 PM   #12
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

well i don't mind... lately... i have been getting better... before i used to get to perform but my knees kept shaking... and i don't feel that bad... so i wonder.. all in the subconscious i suppose [img]smile.gif[/img] good luck!
Old 03-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #13
Epona
Zartan

I love it! I enjoy being the centre of attention [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I've been paid to do it, in the form of staff training. Biggest crowd I've ever spoken in front of was around 3000 at a union conference. I don't make notes, I do it off the top of my head. Having notes actually makes me nervous, but I feel naturally 'at home' talking to large groups of people. I find it easier than having one-on-one conversations actually!
Old 03-28-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Keep paper clips or something in your pocket to handle and play with to give your mind something else to focus on. Heard this in a movie.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Actually, stuff in your pocket (especially your hands) tends to draw the audience's attention toward your pocket, and away from what you're trying to say.

My suggestion is to remember that you're there because they thought you knew something they didn't. You're the expert, and they know that. So get ready to dazzle 'em with what they came to hear!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:36 AM   #16
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I did a speaking thing on frogs last year in frount of people who I didn't know.
I was chosen because apparantly, I was good.
Ha!
Somehow I passed, but I think I did crap, and I would like to forget it but I can't.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 04-01-2003, 09:58 AM   #17
Lil Lil

Although I passed the class with an "A" and made the dean's list last semester, by the last speech, I wasn't much better than the first although it did get easier every time.

*So glad that's over!*

Old 04-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #18
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Keep paper clips or something in your pocket to handle and play with to give your mind something else to focus on. Heard this in a movie.
yeah, and if you a male, people will start asking " Hey, are you playing with snooker? Can I join in ? " and the whole class will laugh and this will really embarass you. believe me I tried.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:49 PM   #19
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I'm horrible at it to be honest [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] Getting up with so many eyes staring you down makes me feel 3 feet tall. I do not care what anyone tells you, there is no method to help anxiety, maybe except Diasapam, but nothing else really.

(Picturing people in their underwear doesn't work, it's just creepy)