Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 11:47 AM   #161
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Oh yes, I forgot to add that you said you were a Christian for 25 years, but F, a Jehovahs Witness is not a Christian. Christians adhere to the trinity for a start, which, as we all know, you and Jehovahs Witnesses do not.
------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 11:57 AM   #162
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Oh yes, I forgot to add that you said you were a Christian for 25 years, but F, a Jehovahs Witness is not a Christian. Christians adhere to the trinity for a start, which, as we all know, you and Jehovahs Witnesses do not.
Out of interest (and because I don't know much about it), where are the main points of difference in JW belief from Christianity - of course not an easy one since it seems to me that all Christians believe something different but just the main differences?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 11:58 AM   #163
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Knowing Jesus is a relationship. It is not about what he taught, but what he did. What he does. Sometimes you can learn more about Jesus grace and love from lifes journey, than you can from the written word. Lessons about trusting him, simple trust, are ones that I could not have found in the bible. I had to walk through life with him in me, and me in him.

I am afraid that from my point of view, as you deny even his oneness with the creator, you know very little about the Jesus I know. I know a God who loved the world enough to become man, die, rise and enter heaven, and then send his spirit to reside in me, changing me, impacting my life every day with aspects of his love, peace, grace and joy.

The Jesus you know seems worlds away from mine.

Yo Yo! This is not a flippant question. What, in your opinion, would be the reaction of Jesus to the current crisis?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-08-2001, 12:01 PM   #164
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Yo Yo! This is not a flippant question. What, in your opinion, would be the reaction of Jesus to the current crisis?

I think each person will answer this differently - depending on *their* view of the current crisis...

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-08-2001, 12:01 PM   #165
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
I am only going to say this as I am tired of arguing with people about it.
War in any form in a horrible thing.
It ruins the lives of everyone in the community as well as taking the lives of innocents who do not wish to be involved but their rights have been discounted and they have no choice in the matter.

War begets war.

This is a war of attrition that the US cannot hope to win. Each time the "Free World" wins a military victory they may have won a battle but they have just gone one step closer in losing the war. It is pure arrogance to think you can wipe out something like terroism. It is not an object you can destroy!

It is an Idea!

An any who think in any way from my statements that i support Terroism are wrong. I am simply trying to open some eyes to the bigger picture around you. Ideas are carried on even after the creators are dead. Do you think that if you destroy Osama Bin Laden and his terroists that it is going to be a blow to terroism? Others will take up the mantle and use this war as an example of Western corruption.

And secondly the idea that this war is to stop terroists from attacking us again? That IMO is utter bullshit and a cowardly coverup to explain why the US should take revenge with military might. Again it will not stop terroists but incite them as has already been proved by Osama declaring Jihad on the US.
And for those of you who have ranted about how the Taliban regieme(sp?) has spread propaganda against the US, that is true. Do not the Taliban try and made fanatics out of Afgahni's by telling them about the Wests corruption?

Now Stop

And think. Is this not what just what America is doing? Are not President Bush's "emotional" speeches just like the Talibans? They are both trying to use patriotism to their advantage to get more power. Ask yourself, if the people of the US were not so patriotic about their country could this military strike have happened so suddenly and ruthlessly?
(This is NOT Yank Bashing im just trying to give a new perspective)

Excellent post, AW. Those who think we are just going to go in there, bomb the terrorists, and make the world safe forever are deluding themselves as badly as those men who fought World War I "to end all wars."
Old 10-08-2001, 12:04 PM   #166
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Donut, I have thought long and hard about this question. I am honestly not sure.

"What would Jesus do" is a very important question however, and one that can be difficult to follow.

He did go "like a lamb to the slaughter" himself, but did not drag others with him. The apostles who died years later had a choice.

Let me think more on this brother.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-08-2001, 12:06 PM   #167
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

I think the answer is quite simple. He would most definitely not be taking the path of his so-called "followers" who seem so gung ho about going to war.

Hell, but why should the actual teachings of Jesus get in the way of what modern Christians want to do? It doesn't in other regards. America, for example, has the laughable status of at the same time claiming to be a capitalist country and a predominatly christian country. Folks, like it or not, but the man you claim to be following would no more be advocating war now than he would be advocating a capitalist society.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:31 PM   #168
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Why do people constantly invoke 'dead children' as some sort of a defense against doing what's neessary??

They have had plenty of opportunity to flee. Anyone left isn't an innocent. They are knowingly residing in a war zone.

Hmmm . . . And I should ask those who advocate policies which will result in dead babies what possible reason they could have for objecting to being confronted with it. Is it too hard to face openly and honestly what you are really doing?

By such reasoning, all Osama Bin Laden or like minded people have to do is declare all of America a war zone and fair game for further bombings, and then point out that none of us are innocents if we didn't decide to flee the country.
Old 10-08-2001, 12:37 PM   #169
Tuor
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

I think the answer is quite simple. He would most definitely not be taking the path of his so-called "followers" who seem so gung ho about going to war.

Hell, but why should the actual teachings of Jesus get in the way of what modern Christians want to do? It doesn't in other regards. America, for example, has the laughable status of at the same time claiming to be a capitalist country and a predominatly christian country. Folks, like it or not, but the man you claim to be following would no more be advocating war now than he would be advocating a capitalist society.
In the same way that those who attacked the word trade centre didn't let the teachings of Allah get in the way of what they wanted to do. Religion can be 'used' to justify anything you want it to, you just have to give your chosen diety's readings or teachings whatever interpretation you need to suit your own ends.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:05 PM   #170
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor:
In the same way that those who attacked the word trade centre didn't let the teachings of Allah get in the way of what they wanted to do. Religion can be 'used' to justify anything you want it to, you just have to give your chosen diety's readings or teachings whatever interpretation you need to suit your own ends.
I've got a question about the muslim religion, usually, I get told that it is a tolerant and loving religion, but I've heard, on another forum, that it does in fact say that all muslims should pretend to be friends with other religions while preparing to stab them in the back, which one is it really?

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

Sorcerer of Lady Lioness' Court.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Closed Thread