Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2001, 04:53 AM   #161
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
"Wanting to be able to destroy other countries with impunity is at best a little immature" Why is wanting to save our soldiers lives immature?

On the whole it isn't, but a (natural) desire to be immune whats happening in the rest of the world is. As I said later on in my post the NMD won't stop terrorists using nulcear, chemical or conventional bombs in your cities. In fact, it encourages it.

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!
Old 06-23-2001, 05:16 AM   #162
Sigmar
Unicorn

I cant believe those damn cigarette companies prefer one more lousy dollar in their pocket over a human being's life. They murder people every day but that doesn't matter as long as they get their money. Greedy peices of ****. Sorry this topic makes me very angry, hopefully in twenty years they will be gone for good.

------------------
"So why should I worship you Tiax?"
"Well Sigmar, I am Tiax the chosen one of Cyric, destined to ascend, I shall rule all!"
"Do you know you have a duck on your head?"
"Duck what duck......ahhhhhhhh!"
Old 06-23-2001, 09:31 AM   #163
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Greadius:
He used epiphany properly in a sentance! I'm impressed.

So who is responsible for marketing the safety of cigarettes... for example?
What I don't stand about personal responsibility is why corperations, the non-people entity that liberals hate so dearly, don't have to be held as responsible.
Huge tobacco law suits and they complain that the individuals should be responsible for themselves... what about the corperations being responsible for the message they were sending about cigarettes?

What it sounds like to me is you see liberals vs. conservatives in terms of personal responsibility?
Its wonderful rhetoric, but its wrong. I think the difference is that liberals have enough faith in the human race not to assume that if someone is having a problem it is automatically their own stupid fault.

One more thing that irqued me about your post... you used for examples of liberal leaders Clinton, Jeffords, and John McCain?
I can't think off the top of my head of a trio of politicians without Bush in their name I have more disdain for.
Oh, I agree with holding the tobacco firms accountable for hiding the data on the addictive properties of nicotene. I wouldn't expect that they would volunteer or publicize that data, but when asked they should have been up front with it. Although, there is an element of personal responsibility here as well. It has been well known that cigarettes were unhealthy since at least the 60's. I feel the same way about the Firestone tire issue. They knew there were problems with those tires. What I don't agree with in cases like those are huge punitative damages that are given to the plaintiffs. Compensatory damages to them are fine, but something else ought to be done with the rest of the money.

I wasn't listing only liberal leaders, although McCain becomes more liberal every day. I was listing off people who are nothing but power seekers. Did you know that when the republicans were looking to get the majority in congress several years ago that several democratic senators and representatives switched to republican? Nice for the republicans, but not fair to their constituents (sp?). Jeffords didn't break any ground. He knew he was falling out of favor with his party and he brokered a deal where he could keep power. He is no better than the rest. The last politicians I can think of who really had any level of integrity are Reagan and Carter. They were just power seekers to a lesser degree. Do you honestly believe Jeffords would have switched if there had been 2 or 3 more republicans in the senate? No way.

As for your disdain for Bush, I can't understand it. All he has done is be honest. Of course, people don't want honesty, they want to hear what they want to hear. Bush has been up front from the start about Kyoto, health care, NMD, taxes, and all the rest. That is something we can't say for 95% of the rest of politicians. If his honesty makes you dislike him, fine. But you have to respect the guy for telling the truth, which is something we have not had in the white house in 8 years.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-23-2001, 01:39 PM   #164
skywalker
Banned User

This is slightly off topic, but interesting just the same. Take a look at this article from the Washington Post, June 1, 2001.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2001May31.html

Mark

Old 06-23-2001, 05:08 PM   #165
Gaelic
Elminster

What that article left out was two issues. First was the fact that hunderds if not thousands of votes from military personnel overseas did not get their votes counted because the free mailing service the milatary has had for years does not print a postmark on the mail. Second was the fact that the Associated Press did an independent recount of all ballots in the whole state under the freedom of information act and found that Bush still won. This crying over the election is tiresome. We has to live under Criminal Clinton for 8 painful years, now its time to get headed back in the right direction.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-23-2001, 05:52 PM   #166
skywalker
Banned User

Gaelic
I trust that you did not misconstrue my post as crying. It matters not to me which party is in power. What is important is that all voters are heard and considered when this country is governed. The thing I find odd is Bush is the best that the Republican party could muster as their candidate for President. Before you bash me as a Democrat, be aware that I am a member of no party and do not need to follow blindly or answer to any organization. Therefore, I can sleep at night.

Mark
Old 06-23-2001, 07:28 PM   #167
Greadius
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
GaelicI am a member of no party and do not need to follow blindly or answer to any organization. Therefore, I can sleep at night.
A round of a applause for the man... that is a powerful statement.

Bush has been honest... an honest idiot.
Like the honesty he showed when he said in a campaign speech he'd reduce CO2 emissions? Woops, guess we should have let that slide.
Or that he would bring honor & dignity to the white house? And let the dishonorable stuff go down in Texas?
Or the upfront honesty when asked if he had ever been arrested and lied?

Right, his drunk driving has nothing to do with us since it was WAY back then... even though it took place AFTER white water AND Paula Jones failed sexual harrasment suit... that WAS our business... but Bush the cokehead alcoholic from 20 years ago isn't any of our business.

I was alot more moderate before Bush became the face of the republican party... if THAT moron is the best they can put up, they deserve what they get in future elections.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:42 PM   #168
Gaelic
Elminster

I'm not a member of any pary either. That's why I try to use liberal and conservative, or left and right as opposed to party names when possible.

As for Bush being an idiot or dishonorable, check your facts. His DUI was 30 years ago and he hasn't had a drink since. Compare that with lying before a grand jury (Slick Willy), or lying about Vietnam service (Gore) and I think it pales in comparison. Give the man a chance to reduce CO2 emissions. Just because the Kyoto plan that he inherited sucks does not mean that he won't do it. He's been in office for how long? 150 days or so? All parties are thin on candidates right now. I can't think of many people I'd like to see run, but Bush is the best we have right now. He's not lying to people, he's not running from issues, he's telling it like it is and, as usual, the public doesn't like that. We'd much rather have someone BS us that everything is going to be ok while they get with our wives in the back room (re Slick Willy). Bush sure isn't perfect, but he is a million times better than Gore and about 500 times better than McCain.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-23-2001, 10:20 PM   #169
Greadius
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
His DUI was 30 years ago and he hasn't had a drink since. Compare that with lying before a grand jury (Slick Willy), or lying about Vietnam service (Gore) and I think it pales in comparison.
Bleh?!?! Hasn't drank SINCE?! Go find this weeks issue of Time Magazine I belief... there is a picture of him with his wife and the Prime Minister of Poland... having a toast to sobriety I suppose??

And what did Gore lie about his Vietnam service? Unlike SOME presidents he went instead of going AWOL while in the National Guard.

Old 06-23-2001, 11:33 PM   #170
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Greadius:

And what did Gore lie about his Vietnam service? Unlike SOME presidents he went instead of going AWOL while in the National Guard.

Yeah, some service. He had a bodyguard everywhere he went. And how many times did he fire the M-16 of his in combat. Sorry that doesn't fly with me. The only difference between him and Bush is he got his little toe in Vietnam. Of course, both are better than Clinton ever thought about. Clinton went to England protested his Governments involvement in a war from where it was safe, and oh, by the way, he didn't inhale. One other thing, while he was there, he forgot to get any lind of degree. Yeah he did everyone a lot of good. He was a snot nosed punk then and he's never grown up since!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?