Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2001, 07:31 PM   #151
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yorick:
[B]Fljotsdale, then why did Jesus at the last supper when he drank wine say "This is my blood do this in rememberance of me"?

Good and interesting points Yorick! I will get back to you on this as it is not something to be answered 'off the top of my head'

------------------

Old 07-23-2001, 07:41 PM   #152
tracey
Manshoon

fljots

an interesting point. are you quite sure that your offspring where 100% fully aware that their father would have stepped in and resisted your religious belief? my father was not a religious man, but i don't ever recall his opinion at all on this issue. perhaps my mother's view was the one uppermost in my mind as a pre-school child who had little contact with her father on a day to day basis (bedtime etc.,) however, it doesn't actually matter now as it was a while age and my mother has blossomed into a delightful person whom i love very dearly for the person she is today - not the person that she was.

i do agree, though, that blood has become an issue more to do with health and blood being a dodgy option. i, too, am aware of the points you've put foreward re; oxygenation and blood pressure. medical technology has moved on, i'm happy to say, and these days it's good to know that lives can be saved more safely.

yorick

i giggled hugely at the end of your message to fljots. i imagine you biting your lip in a slightly naughty manner and possibly chuckling mischeviously - i do hope so....

also, i take your point about the alco issue. but i posted my personal exp point to illustrate that children are self aware. i didn't, and still don't think that anyone else should have the right to make life and death decisions for me, either in my formative years or now. (children in bible - flood, soddom and gommorah, etc..,) thanks for the sympathy though, few people understand how powerless children are and how awful it is to know you are. you are quite right - my view of religion is seriously coloured by personal experience and i'm finding this thread useful in terms of learning about others' experience and faith. (not to say i agree or follow the logic as i don't find religion logical, however...... since i'm used to logic it makes a change to bounce off a bit of emotion.)

Moni

i use xtian as shorthand in the same way that others' use lol or imho etc., i also use exp for experience and lots of other shortened words. i fail to see how anybody finds it unacceptable to shorten some words. i never, for instance use a capital 'g' in god, but no-one's even noticed that, and i would have thought that far more potentially offensive. mind you, i don't actually use capitals in emails or posts at all as i can't be arsed. so, in order to avoid offending, i shall probably not refer to followers of the bible by any name at all.

zateel

the 'laws' that atheists live by are not necessarily biblical at all. i would say that they are more humanist. for instance, although i've never murdered anybody, given the right circumstances i think i could. i have committed adultery and lied - more than once. i've undoubtedly broken quite a few of the commandments - but that's okay. i don't feel guilty or worried about it at all. it's all part of life's rich tapestry. and frankly, life is far too short to worry unduly about the past. i would probably not do the adultery thing again, but then, faithfulness to one's partner is dependant on so many things. i don't really think that humans are particularly monogamous. women particularly so - i always know that i am the mother of my children - how many men have that absolute knowledge and conviction? i think that men are far more scandalised by adultery on that basis alone. genetics is an interesting topic. (few women admit to being as minxy as they really are!) lying i try to avoid, but sometimes i do. stealing - well, if i was in a seriously desperate situation, of course i would - but from rich people. incidentally, what page is the earlier debate with fljots on that you mentioned?

Old 07-23-2001, 07:47 PM   #153
Moni

You also called Fljotsdale "Fljots" again, something she asked you not to.
There is no excuse for such rudeness. Even she asked that if you be that lazy about typing out her name that you just use "F"...why expend the extra energy if not to show disrespect?
As far as your excuse for typing xtian instead of Christian, when it is acceptable to all parties involved, I normally would not split hairs about it but it was suggested that some respect be shown in this conversation. Your lack of caps is obvious, however, you slipped and used one in my name lol.
Please don't continue being rude toward others' feelings here.

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-23-2001).]

Old 07-23-2001, 08:01 PM   #154
Fljotsdale

Thanks, Moni!

Tracey - Moni started a thread on teaching for you. It is now on page 2, but I will bump it up for you.

F.

------------------

Old 07-23-2001, 08:17 PM   #155
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
fljots

an interesting point. are you quite sure that your offspring where 100% fully aware that their father would have stepped in and resisted your religious belief? my father was not a religious man, but i don't ever recall his opinion at all on this issue. perhaps my mother's view was the one uppermost in my mind as a pre-school child who had little contact with her father on a day to day basis (bedtime etc.,) however, it doesn't actually matter now as it was a while age and my mother has blossomed into a delightful person whom i love very dearly for the person she is today - not the person that she was.
Well, Tracey, based on the fact that he would often bellow at them, when annoyed with me: "Never mind that F****** B****! I never let you die, like her, B****! I see you get blood, plenty!! B*****d!" I think they had a pretty good idea! (My husband was Polish, if you are wondering about the odd wording, and his English deteriorated when he was angry - a not infrequent occurence!)
However, it is also true that memory plays strange tricks on us sometimes with the things we remember and the things we forget, (like you forgetting I don't like diminutives) so maybe thay might not have been so sure as I think they were! I will ask them, if I remember to!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old 07-23-2001, 08:19 PM   #156
Moni

You are welcome, Fljotsdale.
Thanks for bumping that thread! I was going to myself but looked at the "Who's Online" link and it said Tracey was replying to it.
Looks as if she may have changed her mind or perhaps gotten booted?
Maybe she remembered our first conversation and decided I am not worth her time lol! As I remember it, she didn't like my opinions very much.
Whatever happened, I am not going to push her to talk to me as much as I am interested in hearing what she has to say about teaching. She seems like an intelligent enough young woman.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-23-2001, 08:42 PM   #157
Fljotsdale

I just got booted off myself, Moni, and she is in England, too so maybe it happened to her as well - or could be she has to go to work in the morning! It's 1:40am here. I often copy and paste posts that need long or complex replies (like in the Yorick? thread), so that's another possibility
Yeah, she does seem bright - though very flip and offhand. I get the feeling she is unaware of being offensive... Time will tell! We have had much worse on this board, after all, lol!

------------------

Old 07-23-2001, 08:48 PM   #158
Moni

Can't say I haven't been guilty of it myself my friend.

Hugs,
Moni

------------------

Old 07-24-2001, 06:40 PM   #159
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Can't say I haven't been guilty of it myself my friend.

Hugs,
Moni

Being flip - or copying and pasting later? I'm guilty of both, myself

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 06:59 PM   #160
Moni

Being flip.

Moni

------------------