Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 10:00 AM   #131
Skippy1
Elminster

Where I live, regardless of the weather conditions, you take your life into your own hands everytime you drive.

The Town I live in has an aged population. Lots of people retire here as the surrounding countryside is very quiet and peaceful, not to mention scenic.

So it's a nightmare to drive here! Picture this:

An Octogenarian toddles to his/her car, slipping in the gutter as the ol' limbs aren't as limber as they used to be. After trying every key on the bunch, finally finds the one to unlock the door, only to find it was unlocked in the first place due to forgetfulness. Goes through the same routine for the ignition key, then tries to start car. After several "kangaroo" hops, decides it might be easier to take the car either out of gear, or depress the clutch. Finally engine is running, tries to select a gear, any gear will do! After much grinding and cursing, moves away from the curb without any indicators or regard for which side of the road their on! And then, abuse me for getting in their way!!

I've decided now that I want to grow old here so I can get my own back on there relations!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #132
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Hya y'all. I feel terrible. Wrecked car this morning...posting at school while avoiding gym because not really capable of playing jujitsu basketball the way I feel. Hit a tree, after sliding out of control on a gravel road. F***ing gravel roads. I was going too fast, though, and the thing fishtailed, and then there I was, in the ditch...after that, it was just momentum that carried me into the tree. Car's probably reparable...though the windsheild got busted by the aribags, and the front left end is useless now...I don't think I ruined the radiator! Yay!.............not really. I'm okay, though...just an injured finger and a few scrathes, plus a ruined relationship with my dad for a few months. hmmmm

Funny thing is, I was going to go pick my friend up for school. I had forgotten this, and made a wrong turn, and had to turn around and go back to his house...and he lives back the road I would have missed had I forgotten him. No, not really funny at all, I suppose.

Sorry for the whine...............................

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #133
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Rainbabe -- LOL hyuck hyuck

Skippy, there's a sad side to your tale of the octogenarian. My grandma is one. Never ever had a wreck in 60+ yrs of driving -- until 2 weeks ago. Now, don't get me wrong -- she was a menace on the roads: didn't look when pulling out, ran stop signs, backed without even looking, etc. However, for me, it is sad because after her first wreck she now is grounded -- she won't drive again during her life. The car's totalled, the insurance will shoot through the roof, she couldn't afford to get back in a car if she wanted to.

And, she's losing some freedom due to this. Being able to drive herself around was a big factor in keeping her active. From what I've seen, whatever a person's illnesses, once they start losing mobility and independence, it's a very quick decent downhill healthwise. So, I fear for her health.

Anyway, just some rambling. Certainly too deep for this little coffee house.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #134
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, baaaaaaaaaaad skippy! But, if you move to Florida you can see/experience the same thing, methinks! Elif? You around? Confirm that if you are! LOL!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #135
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ilander, thank goodness you weren't hurt badly! Sorry to hear about the car damage, too!

TL, that is sad. But do try and convince her to do things with other people if possible. Perhaps she can ride with friends? My own did that for several years at the end of her life, because she also wasn't able to drive. She got family and friends to take her places as needed and I know some places, larger cities mostly have 'senior vans' that will take them to doctors appointments or such.

PS: TL, stop by the Casbah sometime, it's a two scotch for one day!

It stopped snowing here!

[ 03-12-2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 03-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #136
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
TL, stop by the Casbah sometime, it's a two scotch for one day!
*runs*
Old 03-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #137
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Rainbabe -- LOL hyuck hyuck

Skippy, there's a sad side to your tale of the octogenarian. My grandma is one. Never ever had a wreck in 60+ yrs of driving -- until 2 weeks ago. Now, don't get me wrong -- she was a menace on the roads: didn't look when pulling out, ran stop signs, backed without even looking, etc. However, for me, it is sad because after her first wreck she now is grounded -- she won't drive again during her life. The car's totalled, the insurance will shoot through the roof, she couldn't afford to get back in a car if she wanted to.

And, she's losing some freedom due to this. Being able to drive herself around was a big factor in keeping her active. From what I've seen, whatever a person's illnesses, once they start losing mobility and independence, it's a very quick decent downhill healthwise. So, I fear for her health.

Anyway, just some rambling. Certainly too deep for this little coffee house.
Sorry to hear about your Nan TL. The story was only meant to be humourous, even if it was based in fact. The shame is that it comes to us all eventually. If your Nan is still that active anyway I'm sure she'll find ways to get about.

Chin up big boy!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #138
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's FRIDAY!

Ahem..just felt like shouting that! Anyone know a good slow song for dancing with parents at weddings?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #139
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

No snow, here, but we are having some rain. Afternoon, everybody.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #140
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Good evning all! I ran today again. Also tommorow and on Sunday it will be 10 degrees here so soccer here I come!

So how is everyone doing?